Diablo 2: Resurrected - Release 9/23 - Open Beta on 8/20

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Report: Diablo 2 remake in development at reorganized Blizzard

Although to be candid, I don't have high expectations. The only reason blizzard botched Warcraft III Remake is, from my understanding, a lack of communication from Activision that the project was confirmed, combined with an extremely unrealistic release date that the developers were quite outspoken was an unrealistic date.

Still, it is a D2 remake. Something I have wanted for a very long time.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I wish that Blizzard wouldn't perpetually ignore the original Diablo. How about remake that first, not botch it like W3 Reforged, then remake Diablo II to double dip? The original Diablo needs more love. Of course, I realize that Blizzard isn't keen on it because it's single-player and they've been all about multiplayer since WoW. I just want a good single-player Diablo, myself.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I wish that Blizzard wouldn't perpetually ignore the original Diablo. How about remake that first, not botch it like W3 Reforged, then remake Diablo II to double dip? The original Diablo needs more love. Of course, I realize that Blizzard isn't keen on it because it's single-player and they've been all about multiplayer since WoW. I just want a good single-player Diablo, myself.
Respectfully, I disagree. The original Diablo was fine, but IMO it pales in comparison to D2. It is one of the few times in gaming/movie history where the sequel is better than the original.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Respectfully, I disagree. The original Diablo was fine, but IMO it pales in comparison to D2. It is one of the few times in gaming/movie history where the sequel is better than the original.

I didn't say that it was better than D2. I just have fonder memories of it and wish that Blizzard would show it some love first instead of skipping over it.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I didn't say that it was better than D2. I just have fonder memories of it and wish that Blizzard would show it some love first instead of skipping over it.
I get ya. I'm just saying that since D2 was a much better game with a larger user base, it makes more sense to remake that one. I certainly wouldn't have been upset with a remake of the original, but also nowhere near as excited as a proper D2 remake.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I recently replayed Diablo and it could definitely use an update. A great dungeon crawler, but the lack of running really makes sure it's a crawl. Playing as the Warrior is pretty terrible too if you're going to melee everything. Still really enjoyed it and there's a lot to like about it. I'm a big fan of the game progressing downward towards the depths of hell and that's something I wish the sequels did better.

There definitely was a multiplayer version of Diablo as well, but it was full of hackers and most people just did PVP stuff if I recall correctly.

All of that said, Diablo 2 is still the best entry in the series and I'll definitely get the remake/remaster/whatever it is. If it's close to the original I'll be happier than I was with Diablo 3, which had almost no replay value for me.

Reactions: Osprey

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton

Diablo 1 was Multiplayer as well.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Diablo 1 was Multiplayer as well.

Yeah, I know and I'm pretty sure that I even played its multiplayer. What I meant was that, like a lot of games from the mid-90s, it was mostly designed as a single-player game and multiplayer was added on. Diablo II, on the other hand, was made specifically with online play in mind.

Reactions: PK Cronin

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah, I know and I'm pretty sure that I even played its multiplayer. What I meant was that, like a lot of games from the mid-90s, it was mostly designed as a single-player game and multiplayer was added on. Diablo II, on the other hand, was made specifically with online play in mind.

Checking Wikipedia to get the dates right Diablo came out Jan 1997 and Diablo 2 Jun 2000. Both had 'online' play but I feel like there's a significant jump in online capability and spread for online gaming in that short time span.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
That article is nearly a year old. The one I posted is from yesterday. A lot could have changed over the past 10+ months.
The video is new and Rhyker always has good inside news from Blizzard, especially Diablo news. Maybe they are calling it a remake instead of a remaster because it was learned last year that a number of the original files for D2 were lost and never backed-up so those parts might have to be recreated from scratch. Either way, it's not a new game but with any luck an improvement on the existing game.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I played the original Diablo a lot and only played Multiplayer, thought everyone did
Same except for the Hellfire expansion pack which added the monk and was not playable online. I mean Blizzard never wanted the expansion but their owners at the time ok'ed it and it was created by another studio, Sierra if I recall.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Same except for the Hellfire expansion pack which added the monk and was not playable online. I mean Blizzard never wanted the expansion but their owners at the time ok'ed it and it was created by another studio, Sierra if I recall.

Yep. There were some quality of life changes in the expansion, like running in town, that was helpful. The expansion storyline wasn't engrained in the main game so you could play the original game with the quality of life changes which was nice. The expansion level was pretty lame and looked like a hot mess in comparison to everything else.

GOG has a copy for $10 if anyone was interested. Diablo + Hellfire

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I played the original Diablo a lot and only played Multiplayer, thought everyone did

I guess that I was the opposite and thought that its multiplayer wasn't as popular as it was. I probably played through the single-player game and then moved onto a new game, as I often did and still do. I'm the kind of person who never immediately replays games, so the idea of going through it again, but with other people, just wouldn't have appealed to me. Playing Diablo II online didn't seem appealing to me, either, so, to this day, I don't really get why that was so popular, but I'm weird and in the minority there.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I guess that I was the opposite and thought that its multiplayer wasn't as popular as it was. I probably played through the single-player game and then moved onto a new game, as I often did and still do. I'm the kind of person who never immediately replays games, so the idea of going through it again, but with other people, just wouldn't have appealed to me. Playing Diablo II online didn't seem appealing to me, either, so, to this day, I don't really get why that was so popular, but I'm weird and in the minority there.

In multiplayer you had to start at the beginning every time you created a game, so it wasnt like single player getting to load but playing with friends on battle net was fun, and yes it was extremely rampant with hacking to the point it was noted if you did not, think it was called "legit" if you didnt hack/cheat, not sure the term carried over to DII. Mainly it was people using hacked weapons and armor plus the famous duping glitch but plenty of PK'ers that had god mode on joining random public games to player kill

So you didnt really play the multiplayer for the story, you did it to hack and slash with friends in dungeons. You can go to any dungeon you want, if you wanted to just kill the Butcher, King Leroic or go for Diablo

Reactions: Osprey

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
That article is nearly a year old. The one I posted is from yesterday. A lot could have changed over the past 10+ months.

The point is, I don't think it's clear at all right now. Nor do I think that absolutely everyone makes a distinction between remake and remaster.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
So you didnt really play the multiplayer for the story, you did it to hack and slash with friends in dungeons. You can go to any dungeon you want, if you wanted to just kill the Butcher, King Leroic or go for Diablo

Yeah, I know that you didn't do it for the story. I just meant playing through the same levels and bosses as the single-player game, as opposed to something like Quake, in which there were multiplayer-only maps. I remember now that a friend and I did play together, but we just did it in order and went for the Butcher... which I remember was way harder than in single-player and kept, well, butchering us. I don't remember trying for other bosses, but we both played the Beta and it might've been with that that we tried multiplayer (if it had it), and the Beta ended at the Butcher, I believe. Either way, I don't remember playing on Battle.net after the retail release, but it's possible that I tried it and was quickly turned off by the behavior of other players (cheating, griefing, etc.).

Last edited:

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Yeah, I know that you didn't do it for the story. I just meant playing through the same levels and bosses as the single-player game, as opposed to something like Quake, in which there were multiplayer-only maps. I remember now that a friend and I did play together, but we just did it in order and went for the Butcher... which I remember was way harder than in single-player and kept, well, butchering us. I don't remember trying for other bosses, but we both played the Beta and it might've been with that that we tried multiplayer (if it had it), and the Beta ended at the Butcher, I believe. Either way, I don't remember playing on Battle.net after the retail release, but it's possible that I tried it and was quickly turned off by the behavior of other players (cheating, griefing, etc.).

You could also play thru Direct Connection or TCP/IP and not use battle net. I dont recall specifically but Diablo was probably like other Blizzard games on b net that you can create private games

And I think you are thinking of the Demo, not beta, that ended at level 2. Played that too before getting the game

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad