Recalled/Assigned: Di Giuseppe recalled from Hartford

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Going strictly by the eye test, PDG looks like the kind of bottom sixer we're always complaining that we can't develop internally. He doesn't have the skill to drive a lot of offense, but unlike a Haley, he actually has the ability to impact the flow of the game in a positive way. I'm a fan. I give him a 2-year, 2-way offer with good minor league money this offseason.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Going strictly by the eye test, PDG looks like the kind of bottom sixer we're always complaining that we can't develop internally. He doesn't have the skill to drive a lot of offense, but unlike a Haley, he actually has the ability to impact the flow of the game in a positive way. I'm a fan. I give him a 2-year, 2-way offer with good minor league money this offseason.
He likes to shoot the puck and itsn't afraid to drive the net. 2 huge things that make him a keeper.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I don't think there's much difference between PDG and McKegg. If PDG had started with the Rangers and McKegg had been sent to Hartford, we'd probably now be having people question why McKegg hadn't gotten a chance earlier. Neither player is going to move the needle much. PDG is a couple years younger, so maybe he can still carve out a solid NHL career, but I don't think our results would have been notably different with him instead of McKegg.

Regarding the other two, they are clearly here to fill roles which PDG cannot fill. Like it or not, that's the reasoning. Smith was needed to play the PK and earlier in the year, he was actually decent on the 4th line. With the emergence of Lindgren and Fox, Smith is no longer needed to play the PK. Haley is the guy who fights. We can argue all day about whether or not that's a necessary role in today's NHL, but it's pretty clear that Rangers management believes that it is. That said, he has played all of 22 games and will probably miss the rest of the season.

It's possible that PDG will be here for the rest of the year, so instead of lamenting the fact that he wasn't called up earlier, let's just hope that he can continue to contribute and become part of the solution going forward.

McKegg is ok, but I think DiGi is a bit better

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad