Recalled/Assigned: Di Giuseppe recalled from Hartford

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Had a solid game on Monday, I hope he sticks in the lineup for the foreseeable future
Agree. What you titled "solid" must be what I saw. He was VERY hard on pucks, didn't take NO for an answer, shot the puck (like mentioned) AMAZING. What a concept! He continues to play like that, we have ourselves a good 4th liner. Seems he WILL make things happen and contribute in a very good way. Wouldn't it be nice if our 4th line would score approx. every other game?

Reactions: klingsor

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
A good team finds effective inexpensive third and fourth liners this way. In a realistically perfect world the rangers would have two great pairs of play driving forwards on the top two lines with solid finishers and the pipeline with young draft picks and guys like PDG making up the bottom two lines. In a capped world it’s all about value. Pay your top two lines and find great value for the bottom two lines. Generally speaking.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I thought DiGi wasnt bad at all. He is a typical 4th line player. But he was involved. He shot the puck. He skates well enough.

Incredible that he hasnt been playing over Haley and Smith to this point. Even Mckegg.

This is why i get so skeptical of DQ and Gorton. Its clear as day those bums should not be playing and they have an option that they should have at least looked at a long time ago

I don't think there's much difference between PDG and McKegg. If PDG had started with the Rangers and McKegg had been sent to Hartford, we'd probably now be having people question why McKegg hadn't gotten a chance earlier. Neither player is going to move the needle much. PDG is a couple years younger, so maybe he can still carve out a solid NHL career, but I don't think our results would have been notably different with him instead of McKegg.

Regarding the other two, they are clearly here to fill roles which PDG cannot fill. Like it or not, that's the reasoning. Smith was needed to play the PK and earlier in the year, he was actually decent on the 4th line. With the emergence of Lindgren and Fox, Smith is no longer needed to play the PK. Haley is the guy who fights. We can argue all day about whether or not that's a necessary role in today's NHL, but it's pretty clear that Rangers management believes that it is. That said, he has played all of 22 games and will probably miss the rest of the season.

It's possible that PDG will be here for the rest of the year, so instead of lamenting the fact that he wasn't called up earlier, let's just hope that he can continue to contribute and become part of the solution going forward.

Reactions: leetch99

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
... Good depth guy , not sure why he wasn’t in long ago over Haley / Smith but here is his shot

Setting positive tone in hartford, helping the strong start, for the new coaching staff, was an important contribution, more valuable to NYR org than whatever he does now as bottom 6 F w NYR in a transition season.

Glad he will be RFA and likely retained

Last edited:
Reactions: RangersFan1994

cwede

Sep 1, 2010

yeah, PdG has enough NHL games that he won't be Group 6

O'Regan tho will be Group 6 UFA,
along with others CURRENTLY LISTED AS PENDING RFAs @ Cap Friendly

Danny O'Regan Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
NHL Totals 25 1 4 5 2

these other guys 25+ on NHL contracts
Boo has only 76 career NHL games ...
Lettieri 46
Ebert 00

Nieves was 25 last June, not CBA geek, not sure why CF lists him as pending RFA,
or if playing 4 more games for NYR this season would keep him as RFA

NEVER MIND - see below added paragraph, re-signing with NYR gave NYR another chance to keep Nieves from Group 6 this season as he is not yet 27...

NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
What is a Group 6 UFA?
A player whose contract is expiring and meets all of the following conditions will become an unrestricted free agent (UFA):
The player is 25 years or older (as of June 30th of the calendar year the contract is expiring).
The player has completed 3 or more professional seasons (....
The player has played less than 80 NHL games, or 28 NHL games of 30 minutes or greater for a goaltender.

NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
What is an unrestricted free agent (UFA)?
A player becomes a free agent when their contract expires on July 1 after the last League Year of their contract. Any player who meets the following requirements becomes an unrestricted free agent (UFA):
Is 27 years of age on June 30 of the contract expiry year
Has seven (7) Accrued Seasons where an Accrued Season is earned when the player was on the clubs active roster for 40 Regular Season games (30 if the player is a goaltender). Games missed due to a hockey related injury will count towards an accrued season in the season of the injury, plus one additional season after the injury.
Meets the requirements for Group 6 UFA Status (See below)
An unrestricted free agent is eligible to sign a contract with any club as of noon ET on July 1 after the last League Year of their contract

Last edited:

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Let’s not get carried away with him. Like McKegg he’s fast, hustles, hits and works hard but doesn’t really have much in the way of offense. Better than some of the alternatives though

Reactions: leetch99

NYROrtsFan

Feb 1, 2007
He's better than McKegg.

He set up Chytil last night for a goal that should have been buried. It was a very good pass that should have been buried.

People giving him credit aren't thinking that he's some superstar, they're just happy that we have someone who actually does what's needed on the 4th line. Smith, Haley, and McKegg should never be the choice over PDG.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Don't forget that PDG was once the 38th pick. He was highly-regarded. I know some people say, oh, he's just like McKegg, but I see a lot more skill with PDG than McKegg. All I really see with McKegg is a guy who can skate and hustle. Not wholly dissimilar from Nieves. I think Di Giuseppe has more to him. He plays at a 22 point per 82 pace. McKegg is at 14 points. A difference of 8 points isn't completely unsubstantial given their limited roles. I think PDG brings a different look to the fourth line.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm actually surprised he has that many. Or is that his 82 game pace?
That's the 82 game pace for their careers--22 for PDG and 14 for McKegg.

PDG's two best season were 17 in 41 as a rookie and then 13 in 49 in 17-18. For McKegg, his best season was last year when he had 11 in 41; otherwise it was 6 in 31 back in 16-17. They've been pretty identical in the AHL, .56 PPG to .60 PPG, favoring McKegg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad