TV: Dexter

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
I didn't like season 5, never got into the character of Lumen. 6 was pretty good though, and I enjoyed 7 cause I had some weird crush on Hannah

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Big weakness of season 8 is that

[spoil]Hannah's coming back. They should have left that out. As hot as she is. Actually, even though Dexter's all-time high ended after season 4, I appreciated the direction they were going with Debra & Dex'. But they totally ****ed that up in the 8th. So, that's what I blame them for.[/spoil]

What the previous seasons concerns: Sure, there are several undoubtable flaws. I enjoyed them nonetheless, 'cause they tried something new with stuff like Lumen, Brother Sam, [spoil]Vogel, Zach [/spoil] and coming up with a maniac like Travis. I felt entertained, fully aware that it's unlikely seeing that series going back to good again after Phillips' unfortunate departure.

Copmuter*

Having Deb shoot LaGuerta was pretty lame

I would have preferred if the last season had been about Dexter on the run after Deb tried to turn him in

She's then left to raise Harrison... who she realizes is a psycho like Dexter... and begins to teach him "The Code"

And if they wanted to bring back Hannah... have her go on the lamb with Dexter

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
The show as a whole was just too ridiculous after Season 4. IMO the only redeeming part of the show after season 4 was Isaak Sirko.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I didn't like season 5, never got into the character of Lumen. 6 was pretty good though, and I enjoyed 7 cause I had some weird crush on Hannah

I always thought the overall problem with Season 5 was that it followed Season 4. When I went back and re-watched it, I made every attempt to just forget about Season 4 and focus on 5 unfolding...and when I did that, I found that I enjoyed it a lot more the 2nd time around.

The character Lumen may not have been good (I personally didn't mind her at all and thought she was a good add for this stand-alone season), but she actually served a larger purpose that I think people miss. She helped Dexter discover emotions and feelings that he had thought he didn't have...I'll go to spoiler text for the following, in case there are people who are just now catching up:

[spoil]When he breaks the plate and curls up at the end when she leaves is a powerful moment in Dexter's history, it showed that he could develop feelings and could in fact love someone (romantically) completely. He liked Rita, but I don't think he truly loved her...but he did "fall in love" (for the first time to Viewers) with Lumen[/spoil]

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Having Deb shoot LaGuerta was pretty lame

One way to see it. To me, it wasn't that bad to make her do the next step after keeping her mouth shut before. Should have ended with her or Dexter on "the" table though. One of them killing the other.

The character Lumen may not have been good (I personally didn't mind her at all and thought she was a good add for this stand-alone season), but she actually served a larger purpose that I think people miss. She helped Dexter discover emotions and feelings that he had thought he didn't have...I'll go to spoiler text for the following, in case there are people who are just now catching up:

[spoil]When he breaks the plate and curls up at the end when she leaves is a powerful moment in Dexter's history, it showed that he could develop feelings and could in fact love someone (romantically) completely. He liked Rita, but I don't think he truly loved her...but he did "fall in love" (for the first time to Viewers) with Lumen[/spoil]

Interesting observation. Iirc, I understood it quite similar.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Final Season...

i5RYOCS7SyIRn.gif

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Problems with the 2nd half of the show...

1) During the first 4 Seasons, Dexter was scared to get caught. He was cautious. Safe. The tension was contagious.

After Season 4, he didn't seem worried. He killed without thought or concern. The best example was the killing of the hit man by the Ukrainian kingpin on the big boat. Dexter hung around to wash down the blood - in broad daylight. Just ridiculous.

2) After Season 4, in ONE (and only ONE) way the show became more realistic....

The other characters had their own lives and didn't seem to notice what Dexter did. This is the way it would be in real life but it detracted from the show. They needed a Doakes.

3) The incest angle was silly and an uncomfortable distraction.

4) While Jennifer Carpenter acting was first rate (really well done), Dexter's character had no range at all. Same old "Dex".

Anyway, I am 3 episodes into Season 8 and I predict:

A) Dexter will survive the finale - but by the slimmest of margins. They will want to keep the possibility of a Season 9.

B) Charlotte Rampling will be a bad guy and a serial killer.

C) Debra will die.

We'll see... (* No comments, either Yay or Nay, please. Right or wrong, I want to be surprised. *)

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I shot an episode of an upcoming TV show with Lauren Velez, the woman who played LaGuerta. We talked about Dexter for a few minutes. What it boiled down to is she said she felt the first four or five season were some of the best TV she's ever seen. After that no one on the crew really had any idea what the writers were doing but they went along.

Sounds right. I am just surprised the Producers allowed the show to fall apart.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Season 4 was so freaking good. I think they developed Arthur's character the best out of all of the killers not named Dexter. I liked season 7 the least. I could not get into the whole Ukrainian mob thing.

member 51464

I don't recall ever seeing Jennifer Carpenter called a good actress in this before.

SirPaste

Jun 30, 2010
STL
I don't recall ever seeing Jennifer Carpenter called a good actress in this before.

Yea she is not a good actress, correct me if im wrong but isnt she dating or married to Michael C Hall and thats why she got the job?

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Problems with the 2nd half of the show...

1) During the first 4 Seasons, Dexter was scared to get caught. He was cautious. Safe. The tension was contagious.

After Season 4, he didn't seem worried. He killed without thought or concern. The best example was the killing of the hit man by the Ukrainian kingpin on the big boat. Dexter hung around to wash down the blood - in broad daylight. Just ridiculous.

2) After Season 4, in ONE (and only ONE) way the show became more realistic....

The other characters had their own lives and didn't seem to notice what Dexter did. This is the way it would be in real life but it detracted from the show. They needed a Doakes.

3) The incest angle was silly and an uncomfortable distraction.

4) While Jennifer Carpenter acting was first rate (really well done), Dexter's character had no range at all. Same old "Dex".

Anyway, I am 3 episodes into Season 8 and I predict:

A) Dexter will survive the finale - but by the slimmest of margins. They will want to keep the possibility of a Season 9.

B) Charlotte Rampling will be a bad guy and a serial killer.

C) Debra will die.

We'll see... (* No comments, either Yay or Nay, please. Right or wrong, I want to be surprised. *)

I can't wait until you see what happens.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I can't wait until you see what happens.

Oh, oh... Based on that post, my predictions don't look good. :)

I have 6 episodes left in the last season - it is starting to get silly but no where near as bad as Season 7 which was a joke.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Considering your view on the previous seasons and knowing what to expect in the 8th: I don't really get, why you ruin that series for yourself. What season 7 concerns: Matter of oppinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->