Player Discussion: Devon Toews

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Toews has to stay in the lineup. When Hickey comes back the obvious thing is to waive Sbisa.

This.. having Pelech and Hickey rotating as our 6 & 7 depending on matchups, would not be a bad thing. Sbisa should be waved and sent down if unclaimed. If there is an injury later on we have Aho to bring up before we ever see Sbisa again.

I know it seems unlikely, but I would trade Hickey in a heartbeat in any package that could bring something worthwhile back. Given the options we currently have (Pelech and even Aho), I don't think we would lose anything by moving him and with the depth we have coming in the next couple of years, I don't see a long term spot for him.

Reactions: 1CupSince

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
This.. having Pelech and Hickey rotating as our 6 & 7 depending on matchups, would not be a bad thing. Sbisa should be waved and sent down if unclaimed. If there is an injury later on we have Aho to bring up before we ever see Sbisa again.

I know it seems unlikely, but I would trade Hickey in a heartbeat in any package that could bring something worthwhile back. Given the options we currently have (Pelech and even Aho), I don't think we would lose anything by moving him and with the depth we have coming in the next couple of years, I don't see a long term spot for him.

100% woke. Let's package Eberle and Hickey to a west coast contender for a first rounder and 3nd rounder.

Reactions: islesfan66

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Snow is still getting paid by the Islanders right? Maybe he can get on the phone and trade Hickey to Edmonton for a 2nd.
If Calgary runs into cap problem with their top dynamic forwards they may be interested in Hickey who is from Calgary and seems to always play well when he play road game there. Calgary may want to unload an older D (not Hammer nor captain Gio) to another team to save some cap space & resign Hickey for cheap (with hometown discount). Isles may be able to reacquire the 2019 2nd round pick from Calgary they traded away in the Hammer deal.

I think Edmonton would want a D highly capable of manning their power play and I do not see Hickey being a good fit with that team. On the other hand they may be interested in Leddy or Pulock but it would be too early for Isles to give up the later and they may need Leddy in the playoff (assuming if they make it) because it is hard to expect the younger players to play big minutes unless they can acquire another V d from another team like LA. Leddy will be replaced eventually by Dobson once the latter got some seasoning in AHL (likely at least one year as he is still very young). Trotz coached a long time in Nashville and that team has traditionally kept their D prospects in the minor a couple of years before making NHL line-up (ex. Ellis).

Hickey is a well liked guy and popular with his teammates but not sure that will be enough to keep him on this team given that Isles have similar D prospects in the system capable of replacing him in a year's time. I do not see him want to sign a short term deal given his age.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
If Calgary runs into cap problem with their top dynamic forwards they may be interested in Hickey who is from Calgary and seems to always play well when he play road game there. Calgary may want to unload an older D (not Hammer nor captain Gio) to another team to save some cap space & resign Hickey for cheap (with hometown discount). Isles may be able to reacquire the 2019 2nd round pick from Calgary they traded away in the Hammer deal.

I think Edmonton would want a D highly capable of manning their power play and I do not see Hickey being a good fit with that team. On the other hand they may be interested in Leddy or Pulock but it would be too early for Isles to give up the later and they may need Leddy in the playoff (assuming if they make it) because it is hard to expect the younger players to play big minutes unless they can acquire another V d from another team like LA. Leddy will be replaced eventually by Dobson once the latter got some seasoning in AHL (likely at least one year as he is still very young). Trotz coached a long time in Nashville and that team has traditionally kept their D prospects in the minor a couple of years before making NHL line-up (ex. Ellis).

Hickey is a well liked guy and popular with his teammates but not sure that will be enough to keep him on this team given that Isles have similar D prospects in the system capable of replacing him in a year's time. I do not see him want to sign a short term deal given his age.

I think you are confused - we own Calgary's 2nd round pick - Isles second round is with vegas - I believe.

And Hickey doesn't need to be resigned he has 3 seasons after this at a friendly price tag

Reactions: PROMputt

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think you are confused - we own Calgary's 2nd round pick - Isles second round is with vegas - I believe.

And Hickey doesn't need to be resigned he has 3 seasons after this at a friendly price tag

As much as I wish it to happen, Hickey isn't going anywhere. He may be an expensive 7th d-man if things go to plan, but he's a plus in the locker room with balls that scrape the floor. He gets a lot of deserved respect for his heart and dedication to the team.

Sbisa will likely be waived when Hickey returns. Toews should have seen his last AHL game, he belongs in the NHL.

Leddy-Boychuk
Toews-Pulock
Aho/Pelech-Mayfield
Hickey

8 deep, solid yet unspectacular group.

If Hickey want a chance to play more elsewhere, he can be accommodated. I don't see that scenario happening until after next season when he's got 2 years left on his deal. He is easily movable then, we can even retain salary.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Why are we trading Hickey?

He is relatively cheap, reliable.
You never know when an injury can strike.

Having a reliable 7 with Aho as the 8th is great depth!

Reactions: Finnislander

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011

When Hickey comes back Sibisa has to be waived. Then after that, what do you do with hickey? Aho is a better player. We saw that last season when he was 22 years old with the big club playing better than hickey.

Aho is PPG player in the AHL. Remember dobson is on the NHL roster next season and body wilde is in the AHL too.

You can combine hickey + eberle in a trade to get some nice futures in return.

Toews - Pulock
Leddy - Dobson
Aho - Boychuck

(Mayfield - Pelec )

The D is going to be a puck moving skating machine with Dobson, aho, toews

Reactions: islesfan66

SI

Feb 16, 2013

Remember the Washington series - where the team had to start two of Reinhart, Donovan, and Mayfield all with less than 10 games of NHL experience.

Rotate Hickey, Pelech, & Mayfield
Give Boychuk occasional rest

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Remember the Washington series - where the team had to start two of Reinhart, Donovan, and Mayfield all with less than 10 games of NHL experience.

Rotate Hickey, Pelech, & Mayfield
Give Boychuk occasional rest

Similar thing happened with Pulock during the FLA/TBL playoffs. I could never understand why Snow/Capuano were so adamant about NOT giving some of these players sheltered minutes during the season so as to not have THAT happen.

I know this is not the thread... but I can't get over how EVERYTHING is so much better than with Wang and his holdovers.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I believe most of the fan base did not agree with the decsision tonhve Toews start the season at B port, but we understood it.

At this point, there is no excuse - every point is vital. You can even make the argument that they lost points but not having him up earlier.

Reactions: dood

SI

Feb 16, 2013
When Hickey comes back Sibisa has to be waived. Then after that, what do you do with hickey? Aho is a better player. We saw that last season when he was 22 years old with the big club playing better than hickey.

Aho is PPG player in the AHL. Remember dobson is on the NHL roster next season and body wilde is in the AHL too.

You can combine hickey + eberle in a trade to get some nice futures in return.

Toews - Pulock
Leddy - Dobson
Aho - Boychuck

(Mayfield - Pelec )

The D is going to be a puck moving skating machine with Dobson, aho, toews

Wait, Dobson it is NOT a slam dunk That Dobson is on the NHL roster. I'd prefer to have Dobson have more seasoning before slotting him in as a top 4 at 19 years old.

Having Hickey provide cover during this playoff stretcch is a stronger idea.

It is your opinion that Aho is better - I don't think so - he might have a higher ceiling, but better now? I don't think so. I'd rather have 1 rookie than 2.

There is no roster limit after the deadline. You can waive Sbisa with the hope that he clears and then after the deadline you can bring up Aho (and Sbisa) and have some serious depth moving forward.

You can not just go with 6 or 7 with the D - injuries happen especially as the season moves on - keeping Hickey makes too much sense unless he helps brings back a key piece which I Cannot see.

You can do futures for Hickey in the offseason.

Eberle is a different story

Last edited:
Reactions: YearlyLottery

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
Since this is a Devon Toews thread, I'll start by saying thank goodness he is up and is showing good signs he can stick at the NHL level.
In regards to the Hickey discussion, it never hurts to have a nice set of defensemen top to bottom. While it is an interesting thought basing a trade on the standards of "if we were able to get a nice package sending Hickey & Eberle for picks" there is always some unknown factors with a return of draft picks. We are playing well right now and we might need those 2 guys for a playoff run.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Since this is a Devon Toews thread, I'll start by saying thank goodness he is up and is showing good signs he can stick at the NHL level.
In regards to the Hickey discussion, it never hurts to have a nice set of defensemen top to bottom. While it is an interesting thought basing a trade on the standards of "if we were able to get a nice package sending Hickey & Eberle for picks" there is always some unknown factors with a return of draft picks. We are playing well right now and we might need those 2 guys for a playoff run.

I think Hickey stays around until the end of this season at the very least. Having him and Pelech rotating in and out is a lot better than being an injury away from seeing Luca Sbisa on their blueline.

Regarding Eberle, if they can get a 1st round pick for him, I’d be very interested in that regardless of whether this team is in a playoff spot at the deadline or not.

Richie Daggers Crime

Rugged individualist
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I think Hickey stays around until the end of this season at the very least.

Hickey is not tradable, in my opinion. That's not an inditement on him as a player so much as it is the reality of that contract. A depth player with that many years left is a tough sell.

I'd also be surprised if anyone is willing to give a 1st for Eberle. There'd have to be a mad run on wingers and some desperate teams to drive his price that high.

Reactions: goal1228

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Hickey is not tradable, in my opinion. That's not an inditement on him as a player so much as it is the reality of that contract. A depth player with that many years left is a tough sell.

I'd also be surprised if anyone is willing to give a 1st for Eberle. There'd have to be a mad run on wingers and some desperate teams to drive his price that high.

O I don’t think that Hickey has positive trade value, but much much worse contracts have been traded before which is why I think he could be considered tradeable.

I agree that getting a 1st would be lucky, but that’s still what I would try to get. Ultimately, he’d likely get a 2nd and a 3rd/4th, which would also be good.

They don’t have their own 2nd rounder, and Calgary’s 2nd that they own from the Hamonic deal is going to be an early 3rd rounder based off of how they look right now.

They don’t have their 3rd or 4th either, which is why I think we could see Eberle on the block.

Last edited:

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006
So glad Garth Snow is eating meatballs instead of serving as our smug GM.

Toews had a nice pass to Lee....which helped to somewhat negate his missed assignment on the first goal by Schenn. He looked more like a rookie today, but he still looks good.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Why the f*** are we talking about Garth f***ing Snow? We have Lou and Trotz and the team is rolling. Let’s not bring this negativity around.

Reactions: goal1228

Finnislander

Nov 3, 2017
Why the **** are we talking about Garth ****ing Snow? We have Lou and Trotz and the team is rolling. Let’s not bring this negativity around.
Yea. 1cupOneman is just trolling at the moment. Garth did something and didnt too other things. He is now on the back seat, and we should be happy.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Have to admit, I did not realize the potential of this kid. He's starting out very solid in both zones, already a great skater, good positioning, quick outbreak passes, better shot than expected (first NYI D to score 3 goals in first 10 games since Malakhov).

May be the better offensive dman over Pulock in the end (just hit the net Ryan, aim for the goalie's chest). Devon was a steal of a 4th round pick. Looks like a late 1st/2nd round pick for sure. Love the way he plays and his excitement, couldn't have melded into the team better.

Islanders now have 4 young, solid and promising dmen in Pulock, Pelech, Toews (all 24) and Mayfield (26). Surprised of their composure and maturity, I credit Trotz for whatever he's doing with them. Combine them with the seasoned Boychuck and Leddy...I haven't felt this content with the top 6/7 D since the early 2000's with Jonsson, AuCoin and Hamrlik. This group isn't as flashy, but may be deeper. They're the unsung heroes of this half season. Boychuk is playing great hockey because he's finally healthy - I think he was playing through a lot of issues the past 2 years. Leddy's points are down but he's a reliable 22min/gm player capable of the spectacular play once in a while. When Hickey's healthy he'll rotate in and keep them fresh.

I think Trotz' system isn't as conducive for generating points (certainly compared to Weight(!) and while there may not be a future all star on d, I'll take these guys. Could be a good group for a long time as the young guys should be relatively affordable through a couple of contracts.

Last edited:
Reactions: BelovedIsles

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Big Toews fan. Better shot than I expected, usually in good position, can pin guys along the boards, sharp passes, as we know, a thoroughbred skater, best pokecheck on the team. Closes gaps real well. Late round gem that’s only going to get better.

When Hickey is back rotate him and Pelech.

Really like the defensive work of Pulock, Mayfield, and Toews. Pelech leaves much to be desired.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I think people may be underestimating what Trotz/Lou think of Hickey. Opinions are nice, but they have to overcome the fact that on 7/1/18 they signed him to a 4 year, $10 million contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->