Player Discussion: Devon Toews

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think Pelech could use some time in Bridge. He hasn't been very good this year. Scratching Pelech won't help his game and I don't think they can send him down without waivers.
Pelech still makes bonehead plays. Those errors undermine the steady stretches he has from game to game.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I think Pelech could use some time in Bridge. He hasn't been very good this year. Scratching Pelech won't help his game and I don't think they can send him down without waivers.

Pelech has been bad but I think he’s been better than hickey

Reactions: Macch

crasherino

May 9, 2013
The kid also played his off side on the road in his debut. Talk about a tough way to come into the league. He looks like a slick pick handling defender who has some real strength to his game (at least relative to his size) as well as some decisiveness. I’m not sure we have a defender who has all three of those attributes. Perhaps Pulock.

Trotzsky has a real decision to make going forward now as Toews should really be in this lineup. There have been reasons (real and concocted) why he hasn’t been up yet but at this point, it seems clear that it wasn’t simply hype. It’s obviously only one game, but whether it’s Hickey or Pelech, someone should be coming out.

Reactions: Quicklime

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
The kid also played his off side on the road in his debut. Talk about a tough way to come into the league. He looks like a slick pick handling defender who has some real strength to his game (at least relative to his size) as well as some decisiveness. I’m not sure we have a defender who has all three of those attributes. Perhaps Pulock.

Trotzsky has a real decision to make going forward now as Toews should really be in this lineup. There have been reasons (real and concocted) why he hasn’t been up yet but at this point, it seems clear that it wasn’t simply hype. It’s obviously only one game, but whether it’s Hickey or Pelech, someone should be coming out.

Toews certainly looked like he belonged in the NHL last night. He's had quite a bit of development time and he's not a kid so I wasn't surprised. Really impressed with his wheels, he skates like Leddy and I love that. This kid is 'over ripe'.

I agree that he's an upgrade on Hickey and Pelech. I hated that Hickey deal when it happened, I hate it even more now. Pelech is easily moved if we go that route, probably the most likely outcome because Hickey has that contract.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
2021-22 Season

Toews - Pulock
Brodin - Dobson
Leddy - Boychuck/Mayfield as 3rd pair

Find a way to poach Brodin . . . Wilde and ??

That s A Cup winning defense

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Toews certainly looked like he belonged in the NHL last night. He's had quite a bit of development time and he's not a kid so I wasn't surprised. Really impressed with his wheels, he skates like Leddy and I love that. This kid is 'over ripe'.

I agree that he's an upgrade on Hickey and Pelech. I hated that Hickey deal when it happened, I hate it even more now. Pelech is easily moved if we go that route, probably the most likely outcome because Hickey has that contract.

If Toews establishes himself in the NHL, and I assume he will given the system he is in (safe, conservative play) and the amount of AHL experience he has accumulated, it is a nice problem to finally have such solid depth on the blue line.

If/when the Isles need to make a move, and I think they will be forced to before the start of next season (and perhaps sooner), when they deem Aho ready, then I would prefer to move Hickey as well.

Pelech is younger, on a team-friendly contract and, despite the occasional boneheaded play, I think he has more upside and can be a good 5-on-5 player.

I think the Isles can move Hickey rather easily, his contract isn't that cost prohibitive. And, maybe, the more money they retain, the better the return.

Heck, someone traded for Amac so anything is possible! It just takes one dumb/desperate GM, lol.

The other option would be to look to trade Leddy in a package and upgrade on his spot. Move Leddy+ and get a better top-pairing player to finally fill that hole.

But that is much more complicated than shuffling depth pieces of course.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011

Losing Pelech over Hickey = vomit.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Very impressed with Toews first game. He looked like one of our best dman. Throughly out classed Sbisa (his partner). No doubt he will contribute offensively. Fantastic skater. Bigger then I thought he would be. Looked to jump into the rush, when he could. Was good down low in our own end. Going to be tough for Lou to send him down and ice Pelech, Sbisa and Hickey on the regular.

I’m also a little dissappointed it took him this long to get in the lineup. He is clearly better then a number of our dman. Waivers be damned - we need to win more.

Reactions: Quicklime

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I hope he plays now he's going to be slowing down and useless by 30 so what are we looking at if not now? A 4 year career?

Eh, he’s already pulling in a guaranteed 1.4M and if he establishes himself as a top four D man, he could probably hit 30M over the course of his career. That’s more than enough to ride off into the sunset.

Just ask Andrew MacDonald, who was never even a top four defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad