Player Discussion: Devon Toews

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Looks like he's skating as an extra in practice today and Sbisa is going to play tonight.

Spybot

May 12, 2014
Looks like he's skating as an extra in practice today and Sbisa is going to play tonight.
It'd be pretty shocking if he played tonight. He needs more time around the team and in practice. But not too much. Sbisa really should play as little as possible.

Last edited:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Sbisa is gonna play against his former team. Toews will start against Dallas on Sunday as they are a fast team.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Soo Matt Donovan part two? Or maybe Torey Krug?
Honestly I think his upside is maybe a josh morrisey in Winnipeg. I have seen him play a lot he is very good puck mover, skater and offensive instinct player. He is ok in his own zone he needs work behind his net physically along boards but he has gotten better in that area also. It’s exiciting because I like Toews a lot but I think Aho can be just as good if not better and he is also ready to be here.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Hickey skating. Guy is like iron man. Have to figure he could very well play on Sunday if he’s skating today. Toews might end up going right back.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Even if Hickey comes back, Toews needs to stay and play (at least for a while). He's 25 now, and looked like one of our best d-men in camp and has looked the part in the AHL. It's not like our top 6 D are soooooo good that we can't possibly give another guy some ice time.

Trotz and Lou's own words were that they were trying to create competition here. What better way to do that than giving Toews some starts?

Last edited:
Reactions: seafoam

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Even if Hickey comes back Toews needs to stay and play (at least for a while). He's 25 now, and looked like one of our best d-men in camp and has looked the part in the AHL. It's not like our top 6 D are soooooo good that we can't possibly give another guy some ice time.

Trotz and Lou's own words were that they were trying to create competition here. What better way to do that than giving Toews some starts?

Yeah I have a feeling Toews may stay in the lineup for Pelech when Hickey is ready to go again.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Even if Hickey comes back, Toews needs to stay and play (at least for a while). He's 25 now, and looked like one of our best d-men in camp and has looked the part in the AHL. It's not like our top 6 D are soooooo good that we can't possibly give another guy some ice time.

Technically 24, not 25 until end of Februrary 21, 2019. Only about 8 D men are playing full time from his draft class(2014) of which 5 were 1st round picks. No need to rush Toews but I do agree I would love to give the kid 20ish games and see what he can do/become. By the way interesting fact, the Islanders acquired the draft pick used on Toews in the Mark Streit trade with Philly.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Technically 24, not 25 until end of Februrary 21, 2019. Only about 8 D men are playing full time from his draft class(2014) of which 5 were 1st round picks. No need to rush Toews but I do agree I would love to give the kid 20ish games and see what he can do/become. By the way interesting fact, the Islanders acquired the draft pick used on Toews in the Mark Streit trade with Philly.
Can't get over the fact that he's almost 25 and this is his first real shot.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

Not his fault. Anyone who watched him in the 2017 preseason knows he outplayed pretty much every LD that made the roster. Mas vale tarde que nunca I guess . . .

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

If it wasn’t for his injury, he could probably have 50+ games under his belt already. I wouldn’t worry about it. I don’t think he’s going to be sent down, and if he is it won’t be long I’m thinking. Pelech is a real candidate to be traded along with Eberle.

Reactions: IODCPiper

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
I hope he plays now he's going to be slowing down and useless by 30 so what are we looking at if not now? A 4 year career?

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
So we have to read about hear about a prospect now for more years than their playing career... wonderful

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Hickey skating. Guy is like iron man. Have to figure he could very well play on Sunday if he’s skating today. Toews might end up going right back.

I think they’re ready to give Toews a look regardless, similar to what they’re doing with Ho-Sang.

It’s almost Jan 1, and the Islanders could be in a playoff spot. Lamoriello is starting to look internally for upgrades. Depending on how that goes will determine if he’s a buyer or seller.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Yeah I have a feeling Toews may stay in the lineup for Pelech when Hickey is ready to go again.

I think Pelech could use some time in Bridge. He hasn't been very good this year. Scratching Pelech won't help his game and I don't think they can send him down without waivers.

Reactions: IODCPiper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad