Player Discussion: Devon Toews

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
Why is Hickey still here anyway? If he's better than Towes than Towes is not worth anything.
"...Toews, then Toews..."

Look, I'm disappointed, too. I've got a game-worn Toews Isles jersey and therefore I need to be his #1 fan. But if anyone thinks that Toews up here in the press box brings us any closer to the playoffs. or that him being given top 4 minutes is a significant improvement over Hickey/Pelech, then you're way too invested in Devon Toews at the start of the season.

He will get his chance, and I expect it will be soon. He's earned it. In the meantime he'll play top line minutes in BPT, which is far better then sheltered minutes here.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Name the last NHL team who had a guy do a conditioning stint where they stated the specific injury. Just say "we want him to get in game shape after missing significant time" and the team looks much better. They won't because this is the real reason he was sent down: Lou thinks Sbisa is better. And that should scare the crap out of all of us.

It's not a conditioning stint. To be a conditioning stint he'd have to (i) be in the NHL, (ii) get hurt and go on IR, and then (iii) get sent down for limited AHL time.

I mean y'all are bugging out. We have a Stanley Cup winning coach FFS.

Reactions: IODCPiper

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
What is this. Just an opinion from another fan who knows a lot less about hockey than LL.
I'm smart enough to know that signing the parade of garbage bottom 6 guys was a horrible idea and will lead to losing lots of games. I'm smart enough to see Sbisa is beyond horrid and putting him in the lineup over Toews is insanity. Why do you think when he left the Devils those fans threw a parade? Lou was great once, but after seeing a parade of moves that if Garth made them he'd be getting rightly crucified for I think there is unfortunately a lot of evidence that the game has completely passed him by.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I'm smart enough to know that signing the parade of garbage bottom 6 guys was a horrible idea and will lead to losing lots of games. I'm smart enough to see Sbisa is beyond horrid and putting him in the lineup over Toews is insanity. Why do you think when he left the Devils those fans threw a parade? Lou was great once, but after seeing a parade of moves that if Garth made them he'd be getting rightly crucified for I think there is unfortunately a lot of evidence that the game has completely passed him by.
I’m sure the Sbisa PTO and signing was driven by Barry Trotz.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Toews has said his shoulder is completely fine. Trotz just prefers Luc......Luc..ah fug it I can’t even say it.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
24 means you've already entered the prime of your career. An NHL quality defenseman at that age riding busses in the AHL is minblowingly ridiculous and about the most awful asset management possible.

Not true that defensemen reach their prime at 24. Burns, Hedman, Subban, Lidstrom, Chara, Keith, Karlsson and most Norris Trophy winners say otherwise.

Reactions: A Pointed Stick

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
this is insane, not all players are equal if the coaching staff thinks a player can use more development time in order to not overwhelm them so be it. They sent Barzal back to juniors with a one word instruction, DOMINATE. Was that a mistake too?

each player follows his own development path, and if Trotz and Lamouriello want to bring Toews along slowly, Why question it ? We arent winning a cup this year anyway so why not be cautious with our prospects? In baseball they routinely send down prospects rather than let them waste away on the bench.....How stupid do you need to be not to understand what they are doing here. its not Nuclear Physics

Prospects arent Machines. they are kids still learning, why rush them and risk ruining them if you dont need to ? doesnt the cases of Josh Bailey and Nino Neiderreiter count for anything?

this is another example of Islander fan, "we gotta win now" idiocy.

Last edited:

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
this is insane, not all players are equal if the coaching staff thinks a player can use more development time in order to not overwhelm them so be it. They sent Barzal back to juniors with a one word instruction, DOMINATE. Was that a mistake too?

each player follows his own development path, and if Trotz and Lamouriello want to bring Toews along slowly, Why question it ? We arent winning a cup this year anyway so why not be cautious with our prospects? In baseball they routinely send down prospects rather than let them waste away on the bench.....How stupid do you need to be not to understand what they are doing here. its not Nuclear Physics

Prospects arent Machines. they are kids still learning, why rush them and risk ruining them if you dont need to ? doesnt the cases of Josh Bailey and Nino Neiderreiter count for anything?

this is another example of Islander fan, "we gotta win now" idiocy.

I agree to a large extent, but fans will make excuses when the shiny new toys don't live up to expectations. Nino scored 1 point in 55 games and fans actually blamed it on his linemates (who weren't great but did outscore him). Rushing prospects is never a good idea.

edit: The personal attacks/names are too much though tbh.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I agree to a large extent, but fans will make excuses when the shiny new toys don't live up to expectations. Nino scored 1 point in 55 games and fans actually blamed it on his linemates (who weren't great but did outscore him). Rushing prospects is never a good idea.

edit: The personal attacks/names are too much though tbh.
I just call em as i see em. this franchise has been plagued by bad Ownership, bad Management and shortsighted fans. We finally have some quality people in key positions and ignorant fools are calling their decisions into question. Just because the lunatic fringe has little to no Patience doesnt mean its not a necessary ingredient to build a consistent winner. Impatience serves no one....if people dont want to be called out for what they are, they should learn. its that simple.

if it takes the rest of us calling them what they are...so be it

Sparksrus3

NYI - THE TEAM WITH NO ❤️
Jun 2, 2012
I just call em as i see em .if people dont want to be called out for what they are, they should learn. its that simple.

Wow. To punish everyone just send them to an Internet chat room for all eternity. Better yet, send them to a chat room and make them be Islander fans.

LGI

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
give it a few days/weeks and someone on the blueline will get banged up and start missing time ; at that point Toews comes up and never looks back . Same can be said for the forward group ; these guys get banged up in a few weeks and next thing you know Bellows is in the mix ,

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Putting Toews in the top 6 would not constitute rushing. He’s been marinating in Bridge. He was the first call up last year if it weren’t for his own injury. He was one of the better D men in the preseason. To me that suggests keeping him in the top 6. If he falters after a few weeks, then send him down.

I hope Sbisa continues his turnover fest, therefore management will have no choice but to bench him when he’s creating high danger chances against.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Putting Toews in the top 6 would not constitute rushing. He’s been marinating in Bridge. He was the first call up last year if it weren’t for his own injury. He was one of the better D men in the preseason. To me that suggests keeping him in the top 6. If he falters after a few weeks, then send him down.

I hope Sbisa continues his turnover fest, therefore management will have no choice but to bench him when he’s creating high danger chances against.

It’s so short sighted to hope Sbisa has a bad season.

He’s a NJL vet on a 1 year deal. We could get a 2nd rounder at the deadline if he has a good season. That would be best for the organization.

Last edited:
Reactions: And You Feel Shame

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times, they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Why are people losing their minds over the 6/7 defenseman? The season is like 7 months long. When an injury happens, and it will, then Toews will get called up. If he plays well, he'll stick.

Reactions: Seph

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I just call em as i see em. this franchise has been plagued by bad Ownership, bad Management and shortsighted fans. We finally have some quality people in key positions and ignorant fools are calling their decisions into question. Just because the lunatic fringe has little to no Patience doesnt mean its not a necessary ingredient to build a consistent winner. Impatience serves no one....if people dont want to be called out for what they are, they should learn. its that simple.

... random Capitalization...

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Why are people losing their minds over the 6/7 defenseman? The season is like 7 months long. When an injury happens, and it will, then Toews will get called up. If he plays well, he'll stick.

Bringing back the days of Matt Donovan...

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Mainly because the way he’s being deployed makes it seem like they view him as more than a 6/7D.

Pairing him with Leddy (arguably the team’s top defenseman who’s coming off a bad year), forcing him to have to re-adjust to playing on his offside.

Or

Pairing him with Boychuk, which puts the least two mobile defensemen on the team together. Not only that, but they both also have the worst puck skills on the backend.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
The games haven't yet started.

I’m not expecting Trotz to do a complete 180 on what he’s been using in preseason and in practice.

It’s not even like Sbisa had a good camp and the shine is going to wear off 20 games in. He played just as bad as he always does.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times, they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I’m not expecting Trotz to do a complete 180 on what he’s been using in preseason and in practice.

I expect them to go with what works and abandon what doesn't. Neither Trotz nor Lamoriello got to where they are by being idiots and playing someone who's playing terrible all season just for no reason. I'd guess they're going to give the veteran the benefit of the doubt to start with and some time to settle in. If he works out, great... if not, I'd imagine things will be shuffled. Trotz just won the f'n Stanley Cup. He's not going to inflict wounds upon himself for no reason.

Reactions: Seph and seafoam

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad