Player Discussion: Devon Toews

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
You guys realize Tyler Myers once won the Calder without putting up stupid point totals right? So it can happen.
Yeah, I realize lots of things can happen. We are talking about likelihood, not impossibility. It's not impossible, but extremely unlikely. Especially on a roster like ours. Doesn't even look like the kid is going to start the season in the NHL, making a Calder bid an even more unlikely scenario.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
He does skate more like Leddy but i have to watch him more to see if he has the skill of a Leddy to rush the puck.
need to see more of him to make a comparison but I doubt he can skate it out of danger like Leddy can but perhaps his decision making process has a better overall bag of tricks compared to Leddy .

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I don't think comparing Toews stylistically to CDH or Leddy is all that useful. IMO Toews plays a structured game, unlike Leddy. I also don't think Toews is as dynamic in the neutral zone. That said, I think Toews is more decisive than Leddy in the offensive zone.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I don't think comparing Toews stylistically to CDH or Leddy is all that useful. IMO Toews plays a structured game, unlike Leddy. I also don't think Toews is as dynamic in the neutral zone. That said, I think Toews is more decisive than Leddy in the offensive zone.

I agree Toews has some very similar tools to de Haan and (moreso) Leddy, but uses them in a different ways compared to those two.

He has a better understanding of gap control and uses his stick much more effectively than Leddy, and offensively is looking to make more plays than de Haan does.

Reactions: IODCPiper

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
No sense in rushing him, he's a 24 year old defenseman and we aren't going to be very good this season. Things could change and he might be called up later this year though.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I will just have to question his age. Turgeon JT were in this league at 18. Kaspairaites was around 19, 24 is mid career a lot of guys are out of the NHL by 30. It shouldn't take six years from.draft day to learn defense. When the ISLES had a real Gm and real coacg the defenseman were playing here by 19 20 21. Are the Ahl coaches that bad? Or the players just not that good? Will Toews be a rookie next year at 25 ?

Klinberg made the NHL when he was 23 (after starting in the AHL). Gostisbehere, Krug were also 23. Defense is a completely different animal than forward. You're competing for 1/6 spots on defense....1/12 on offense and 1/2 on goaltending. There's a reason why goaltenders take the longest, followed by defenseman, followed by forwards. Your 7th best forward on your team is a 3rd liner who might play 2nd line at times, your 7th best defenseman is in the AHL.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
No sense in rushing him, he's a 24 year old defenseman and we aren't going to be very good this season. Things could change and he might be called up later this year though.
24 means you've already entered the prime of your career. An NHL quality defenseman at that age riding busses in the AHL is minblowingly ridiculous and about the most awful asset management possible.

Reactions: LamorielloAndSon

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
24 means you've already entered the prime of your career. An NHL quality defenseman at that age riding busses in the AHL is minblowingly ridiculous and about the most awful asset management possible.

Toews went to College, got a late pro start. It's not like he's been in the AHL for 5 years.

Reactions: Macch

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Toews went to College, got a late pro start. It's not like he's been in the AHL for 5 years.
But that's totally irrelevant. He is 24 years old. He is not a 20 year old kid, he is absolutely 100% ready to play in the NHL and sending him to Bridgeport is stupid and a total waste. I'll put it better: I was thinking about what other NHL team Toews wouldn't have made and besides possibly Nashville I am struggling to come up with an answer.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
ive read uninformed posts before but this takes the cake

some people mature at 15, some never do. looks like you fall into the latter catergory

i award you no points, and banish you to Buffalo for re education
3 insults, no attempt to refute my post with facts or anything resembling an argument :thumbu:

Reactions: IODCPiper

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
3 insults, no attempt to refute my post with facts or anything resembling an argument :thumbu:
beause your post was so without undersanding it didnt deserve any more than that, if you think that maturity simply reliant on age than you know nothing about life. Maturity is an individual process, it is not one size fits all that you seem to think it is, as I said some mature at 15, others never do.

read your own post again maybe this time youll understand the fallacy of your own comment

im utterly amazed that you apparently havent learned this already, that you think I need to present an argument to establish something so basic, only compounds your cluelessness

Last edited:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
But that's totally irrelevant. He is 24 years old. He is not a 20 year old kid, he is absolutely 100% ready to play in the NHL and sending him to Bridgeport is stupid and a total waste. I'll put it better: I was thinking about what other NHL team Toews wouldn't have made and besides possibly Nashville I am struggling to come up with an answer.

It is relevant. Combine that with the long lay off from the major shoulder injury. Just to cite his age without proper context is disingenuous.

KidThatWonTheCalder

Artist Formerly Known as IslesandHawks
Jun 16, 2011
I was annoyed when I first saw he's gonna start in BPT, but as I've thought about it more, I get it... I'd rather have him show out in the A and then have him come up feeling good and confident about himself than playing 10 mins a night in the big show.

Reactions: IODCPiper and Macch

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
It is relevant. Combine that with the long lay off from the major shoulder injury. Just to cite his age without proper context is disingenuous.
If conditioning is the reason then why doesn't the team state that he is getting a conditioning stint to save face. He is headed to Bridgeport because they think 6 guys (including arguably the worst player on any roster in the league) are better than him, and it's total lunacy.

KidThatWonTheCalder

Jun 16, 2011
If conditioning is the reason then why doesn't the team state that he is getting a conditioning stint to save face. He is headed to Bridgeport because they think 6 guys (including arguably the worst player on any roster in the league) are better than him, and it's total lunacy.
IMO unless you're gonna make him a top-4 guy and give the corresponding run that a top-4 dman gets, you should let him play the top line in BPT and get the reps... That's just my opinion, though. That being said, I wouldn't be so mad at a top-4 of Leddy-Pulock and Boychuk-Toews.

Reactions: PWJunior

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
beause your post was so stupid it didnt deserve any more than that, if you think that maturity simply reliant on age than you know nothing about life. Maturity is an individual process, it is not one size fits all that you seem to think it is, as I said some mature at 15, others never do.

read your own post again maybe this time youll understand the fallacy of your own comment

im utterly amazed that you apparently havent learned this already, that you think I need to present an argument to establish something so basic, only compounds your cluelessness
Where has maturity come up as an issue with Teows? He is 24. 24 is well into adulthood. 24 is where your prime years begin. I would rather a 24 year old who absolutely belongs in the NHL be with the Islanders and not wasting his time in Bridgeport, especially when the reason he is not on the roster is to make room for total garbage.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

Let's assume for the sake of argument that he needs to get the shoulder a bit stronger. In that case, would you really want the team to announce "We want Devon Toews to go to the minors to continue strengthening his shoulder"?

Reactions: dood and PWJunior

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
IMO unless you're gonna make him a top-4 guy and give the corresponding run that a top-4 dman gets, you should let him play the top line in BPT and get the reps... That's just my opinion, though. That being said, I wouldn't be so mad at a top-4 of Leddy-Pulock and Boychuk-Toews.
Based on Toews camp he earned a spot in the top 4. I’m sure Toews will be back up as soon as Boychuk or Sbisa get hurt. But as far as this camp went, Toews earned a spot on the roster. Trotzy got this one wrong.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
I would have to assume that he really isn't THAT good. ISLES have a really bad group of defenseman, one of the worst groups in the last 30 years of this teams history. Towes should be here helping the team win instead of just getting closer to free agency and leaving for a big pay day like the last six home grown islanders in the last three years. Since Lou knows hockey as well as me and this isn't a Garth snow keep Halak in the minors over a grudge, I just have to assume Towes isn't very good. Maybe he needs till 26, 27 to be good

Reactions: Quicklime

KidThatWonTheCalder

Jun 16, 2011
I would have to assume that he really isn't THAT good. ISLES have a really bad group of defenseman, one of the worst groups in the last 30 years of this teams history. Towes should be here helping the team win instead of just getting closer to free agency and leaving for a big pay day like the last six home grown islanders in the last three years. Since Lou knows hockey as well as me and this isn't a Garth snow keep Halak in the minors over a grudge, I just have to assume Towes isn't very good. Maybe he needs till 26, 27 to be good
Lol to this being one of the worst D groupings in the last 30 years... I'm also glad you know as much about hockey as Lou. **eye roll**

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Let's assume for the sake of argument that he needs to get the shoulder a bit stronger. In that case, would you really want the team to announce "We want Devon Toews to go to the minors to continue strengthening his shoulder"?
Name the last NHL team who had a guy do a conditioning stint where they stated the specific injury. Just say "we want him to get in game shape after missing significant time" and the team looks much better. They won't because this is the real reason he was sent down: Lou thinks Sbisa is better. And that should scare the crap out of all of us.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Name the last NHL team who had a guy do a conditioning stint where they stated the specific injury. Just say "we want him to get in game shape after missing significant time" and the team looks much better. They won't because this is the real reason he was sent down: Lou thinks Sbisa is better. And that should scare the crap out of all of us.
I think you're overreacting tbh.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I'm disappointed about this news as well, but it doesn't at all mean they think Sbisa is better. They don't even play the same side for one. This just means that they decided to go with Leddy, Hickey and Pelech on the left side to start, and rather than have Toews hang out in the pressbox, they sent him down to get playing time and continue developing. No one cares about Sbisa's development, so he can hang out in the pressbox all year for all anyone cares. If injuries hit the left side, I'm sure we'll see Toews back up -- and if we don't, I will then actively join the complaining.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad