Devon Toews is underpaid

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Not gonna read the thread, just gonna chime in and say I'm always impressed watching him play. Good player.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Are you going to deny he pulled off a trade heist with very tangible results that shifted perceptions.

Think about it like a player that under performs for his first few seasons and then figures it out.
It was a good trade and it shifted perception, but it's still indicative of the lack of patience and context on these boards. Something is either terrible or "Zomg le greatest in history?"

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Depending on the Isles picks I think this is a win-win situation. Toews is awesome and we've known for a few years now (but being an Islander he just didn't get the recognition he deserved). But was unfortunately a cap cut. We couldn't afford him with numerous anchors on the team (thanks backup goaltender!), and I'm sure Lou shopped him around a bit and this was the best deal possible due to Covid and flat cap.

I'm glad to see him doing well in Colorado and hope he continues having a great career!

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Underpaid, making millions.
I never understand these comments on a sports discussion board. Obviously they’re referring to the fact there’s a salary cap, ie finite money to dish out between players. He would get a big raise if he had signed a one year deal (and there was a rising cap). He’s worth more than some higher paid players said the hockey fan on a hockey discussion forum.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Toews is a guy who I believe benefited greatly by being brought along in the Islander system, learning to play strong defense. But for the long haul he's built to play in the Avs system. It stinks the Isles had to let him go, but something had to give and they were/are deep on defense. The scary thing is, I think he's still going to improve a bit as he gets more and more experience.

Oblivion Beckons

Jan 20, 2021
Depending on the Isles picks I think this is a win-win situation. Toews is awesome and we've known for a few years now (but being an Islander he just didn't get the recognition he deserved). But was unfortunately a cap cut. We couldn't afford him with numerous anchors on the team (thanks backup goaltender!), and I'm sure Lou shopped him around a bit and this was the best deal possible due to Covid and flat cap.

I'm glad to see him doing well in Colorado and hope he continues having a great career!

Indeed. The Avs possession and transition play allows Toews thrive more than when he was on the Islanders. The advanced stats he had with the Islanders indicated that he would fit perfectly with the Avs and he has. Islanders are still a very good team with him gone though. More valuable player for the Avs than for the Islanders.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006

Vegas was in a similar cap crunch and only got a 3rd rounder for arguably a better player. And they had to trade their player to a team they might face in the playoffs (if not for weird covid divisions).

The Isles did well to get what they did.

Both of the teams and the player benefits. A true win win win scenario.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
This from last night
upload_2021-3-23_20-16-19.png

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Indeed. The Avs possession and transition play allows Toews thrive more than when he was on the Islanders. The advanced stats he had with the Islanders indicated that he would fit perfectly with the Avs and he has. Islanders are still a very good team with him gone though. More valuable player for the Avs than for the Islanders.
He is quickly becoming the pre-injury Erik Johnson where he is now the "all situation" dman in the team. He plays a tons of minutes with the Avs top 4 , one of our best PKer and plays on the 2nd unit of the PP. I wasn't expecting that much when he came in I somehow thought that if he can play a bit better and consistently than Graves I would be fine. He exceeded every expectation well also Graves is having a tough season without Makar. Last night he got caught pinching in the ozone against the Yotes he then managed for a crazy backcheck to catch Keller killing that 2 on 1. I haven't seen him at full speed but damn I was impressed.

Last edited:

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Joe Sakic fleeced clueless Lou on this trade

I guess Lou should have asked around the league for more and perhaps he did. I wonder how many GMs sitting out there today are wishing they would have made better offers in hindsight?

Looks like Sakik fleeced a lot of GMs on this one.

How about a little respect for Lou and where he is?

Reactions: Mighty Makar

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Vegas was in a similar cap crunch and only got a 3rd rounder for arguably a better player. And they had to trade their player to a team they might face in the playoffs (if not for weird covid divisions).

The Isles did well to get what they did.

Both of the teams and the player benefits. A true win win win scenario.

One of these guys had a NTC clause and one of them didn't.

I bet you a zillion dollars that Boston would have offered more than a 3rd for Schmidt if he was available to them.

Reactions: Nihiliste

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Another beautiful play by Toews to score the goal. It is massively underrated skill to keep the offensive blueline shut when the puck is coming. Toews is very good in that.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Joe Sakic fleeced clueless Lou on this trade

Sakic paid 2 2nds in a Covid offseason when no one even knew if there would be hockey and better defensemen like Schmidt were going for a 3rd while guys like Tanev, Stetcher, Barrie, Brodie were all getting signed cheaply left and right.

Sakic paid the highest futures price for any player in the offseason, given what most of the league ended up going for its hardly impressive.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
Sakic paid 2 2nds in a Covid offseason when no one even knew if there would be hockey and better defensemen like Schmidt were going for a 3rd while guys like Tanev, Stetcher, Barrie, Brodie were all getting signed cheaply left and right.

Sakic paid the highest futures price for any player in the offseason, given what most of the league ended up going for its hardly impressive.
I’ll Devon over any of the guys you just listed there, my guy. Two seconds for what he offers is laughably low. To subsequently resign him on a steal contract. THAT’S the real finesse.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
I’ll Devon over any of the guys you just listed there, my guy. Two seconds for what he offers is laughably low. To subsequently resign him on a steal contract. THAT’S the real finesse.

He was a #4/5 in NYI when Sakic traded for him. An absolute overpayment relative to every other transaction this summer. Just like Josh Anderson's contract stood the hell out compared to everyone else.

Also good as Toews has looked for the Avs can't help but wonder how Schmidt or Tanev would look there and how he'd look on one of their teams if roles were reversed for instance. Toews was decent but nothing special in New York after all. And Justin Schultz is having a better season than most of those players as well even if he's clearly inferior to them

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad