Devon Toews is underpaid

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The first you’ve heard a “Toews is overpaid” joke?

There’s been more “Toews is overpaid” jokes on HFboards than there are cock jokes in the final 2 seasons of GOT after those atrocious writers ran out of their source material...
Yeah, I've heard it few times, but it's mostly more like Toews is overrated than overpaid

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
He was more of a second pairing guy with the Islanders, but is flourishing getting top pair minutes with the Avs. He’s in the perfect system to accentuate his skills.

I also think his ceiling was kind of still unknown last year. He broke into the league late and had only played 116 NHL games before this season. At 27-years old he’s realizing his potential as a top pair caliber defenceman.

Will you protect Toews in the Expansion Draft?

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
Girard = Letang 2.0
really? huh i was trying to think of someone with similar size and abilities and all i can think of is a better defensive version of Huhges, or better offense than spurgeon

Thats if he keeps racking up the points but the sammy i seen in the playoffs was a guy who hit his next level offensively

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Yeah, I've heard it few times, but it's mostly more like Toews is overrated than overpaid

He’s both. Or actually he was overrated for a while, then became kinda underrated. But he’s still overpaid.

Having said all that he’s a millionaire and a future NHL HOFer who’s probably accomplished more in his life than you or I could ever hope to...lol

Reactions: the_fan

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Girard's strength has always been his defense, these are not similar players

Yeah, just an odd comparison. Girard is a defense-first defenseman. People see a small-statured defenseman and automatically think he is offense-first. He is exceptional defensively, the only con being he can't clear bigger guys in front of the net. The way his offense improved this year makes him an outstanding all-around defenseman. An apt comparison for him would be an offensively gifted version of Spurgeon.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
He’s definitely a big reason the Avs lead the league in SA/G despite being down several defenders. In the past, it has always felt like losing EJ was losing the biggest piece of our shutdown defense. Not anymore. But if EJ can get healthy, I won’t complain either.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Oh plz. On HFboards all the Canadian teams(especially TOR and EDM) get WAY too much hype and attention compared to the American teams. It’s just a fact. It feels like 50% of the content is Leafs and Oilers related. I understand why(obviously)...but still it’s a valid reason for criticism when compared to other fan sites. It’s refreshing to see a team from Colorado get as much hype and respect as the Leafs FOR ONCE. Wish it happened more often.
On top of the Leafs have a statwhacker GM, which is a sure path to hype.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
He’s both. Or actually he was overrated for a while, then became kinda underrated. But he’s still overpaid.

Having said all that he’s a millionaire and a future NHL HOFer who’s probably accomplished more in his life than you or I could ever hope to...lol
Very true

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Devon Toews is looking like a stud out there for the Colorado Avalanche and will only cost 4.1M for another 3 seasons. What a coup by Joe Sakic to get him for only a couple of draft picks.

GP: 24, G:4, A:11, PTS: 15, +\-: 13, PIM: 4

Like the Avalanche needed even more talent on the back end to go with Makar, Byram, and Girard.
Yet when Toews was on the islanders hf posters were like WHO is this guy lol. Good player unfortunately islanders had to move him for cap reasons.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
This was displayed in Colorado - Minnesota game:
upload_2021-3-19_22-48-6.png

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Joe Sakic fleeced clueless Lou on this trade
I don’t think they had much cap space at the time, I think that was before they knew boychuck couldn’t return?

anyways, he didn’t have much of a negotiating position and would have kept him another year if they thought they could.

They’d be even better than now for sure, tho basically all those stats in the picture above would probably be lower. He’s had the benefit of being thrust into the #1 spot and heavy minutes because of multiple injuries to key defensmen on his team, including Makar seemingly forever

the Avs system is tailor made for his game, he’s lucky the isles traded him in that regard. Bigger future payday possible

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Lucrative signing from a top quality GM, this is how a team continuously challenges for the Cup.
GM is a littttle lucky he played for the Isles previously lol. They obviously didn’t/wouldn’t continue hold Toews back in terms of team success and his contribution, but his minutes and points were way lower with their system and his placement on the depth charts

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Underpaid is an understatement because it's good when you get these steal contracts because you can flex more cap space among your team to be better. Joe Sakic is an amazing GM and the best thing that's ever happened to the Avalanche organization.

Sakic is still my favourite player ever.
Obviously not calling you out, but its't it funny how the narrative shifted from "Sakic must go!" to "best gm in the league" (which is closer to the truth)? There's just no patience on the Dunning-Krueger Boards.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Underpaid is an understatement because it's good when you get these steal contracts because you can flex more cap space among your team to be better. Joe Sakic is an amazing GM and the best thing that's ever happened to the Avalanche organization.

Sakic is still my favourite player ever.
I can't even begin to think where we'd be without him. It's amazing what 1 player can do for a franchise for not just a few years, but decades.

Reactions: klozge

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
If you look at the top 10 most team friendly contacts (excluding elcs and bridge deals) in the league, the Avs have what, 2 or 3 in the entire league? MacKinnon, Girard, and is Toews also in the top 10?

Joe’s staff does a great job of lining up undervalued talent that might be available due to whatever circumstance. Because they do their research so well, they can buy low on highly effective layers. But it’s also matching skill set to system/playing style.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad