Prospect Info: Devon Levi, G (Obtained in Reinhart trade) Northeastern University (NCAA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Seamus Kotyk needs to become this kid's best friend. He has to call him at least once a week and go over video. Use this time while you have his rights to help him become a better goalie and become confident the Sabres are right for him.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I honestly think it's something that is just known about him throughout the scouting community. Sounds like he has a plan. This is now the second different scouting analyst to mention he likes to have a slow development curve and play 4 years of college (which will really be 3 years of playing).
Maybe we'll see first this is before sounding the alarm.

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
He’s listed at 6’0, so not as small as I was expecting after hearing about his size a few times. Obviously not a giant, but I was thinking Enroth…

Hope this kid develops into a solid goalie. Would make this trade much more palatable.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I see Levi more in competition with Portillo, at least for the short-term, rather than UPL in their goalie prospect equation; and at the end of the day, both Levi and Portillo are similar in that they only played seven games in their 20-21 seasons and are projected as collegiate starters for their 21-22 years.

It'll be interesting to see who pulls ahead of the other or if it remains neck and neck, as Portillo's got the obvious size advantage over Levi and has seen stronger competition (top goalies in SWE J20, USHL vs CCHL), while Levi's a year younger and had a far better international performance than Portillo.

If Levi has a decent season, I’ll be more impressed with him than Portillo. Michigan looks to be an absolute powerhouse, so Portillo doing well there is almost a foregone conclusion.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
He’s listed at 6’0, so not as small as I was expecting after hearing about his size a few times. Obviously not a giant, but I was thinking Enroth…

Hope this kid develops into a solid goalie. Would make this trade much more palatable.
After the past few seasons, even a really solid backup would be a win

Reactions: Jacob582

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

His size is brought up because there is research out there that 6'2" and above is the benchmark for height for a goalie.

There are sub-6' 2" goalies who have had NHL success recently. Juuse Saros may be the best sub-6'2" goalie last year. But, there are multiple teams that will not draft a goalie if they are not at least 6'2".

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
His size is brought up because there is research out there that 6'2" and above is the benchmark for height for a goalie.

There are sub-6' 2" goalies who have had NHL success recently. Juuse Saros may be the best sub-6'2" goalie last year. But, there are multiple teams that will not draft a goalie if they are not at least 6'2".

Hockey 6'2" or real 6'2"?

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
After thinking about it for a bit, it's still an underwhelming return. However I do like what I've seen and heard of Levi and wonder if maybe down the road we'll look back and be happy they made this trade. Levi could be really good.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Almost seems like this will become a self fulfilling stat if it isn’t already. A team that never touches a goalie under 6’2” Will obviously never have a successful goalie under that height. If enough teams think like that. It makes it really hard for goalies under 6’2” to even get a shot.

As aside, I wonder what the most common height is among NHL goalies. I’m blindly guessing it’s 6’4”.

p0nchik

Jul 24, 2021
After thinking about it for a bit, it's still an underwhelming return. However, I do like what I've seen and heard of Levi and wonder if maybe down the road we'll look back and be happy they made this trade. Levi could be really good.
Even if Levi is guaranteed to be an NHL starter, I am just sour on the value of goalies. While they're uber important, there's just so many of them with such little difference. The major differences are consistency game to game and year to year. Any goalie can be a one hit wonder.

I'm of the thought that if you have a great puck possession team and sound defensively, any goalie can prosper. I mean, the finals have been a mixed bag of goalie talent. Pretty sure the Flyers almost got there with an AHL goalie and there was a string of average goalies who got their team to the cup.

I would rather invest the money and time up front.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Even if Levi is guaranteed to be an NHL starter, I am just sour on the value of goalies. While they're uber important, there's just so many of them with such little difference. The major differences are consistency game to game and year to year. Any goalie can be a one hit wonder.

I'm of the thought that if you have a great puck possession team and sound defensively, any goalie can prosper. I mean, the finals have been a mixed bag of goalie talent. Pretty sure the Flyers almost got there with an AHL goalie and there was a string of average goalies who got their team to the cup.

I would rather invest the money and time up front.

Given the research that ClearSight Analytics has put together, that is far from the truth.

The key is getting a goalie who's specific skillset with regards to stopping certain kind of shots aligns with the type of shots a team gives up regularly given their players and style of play.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Almost seems like this will become a self fulfilling stat if it isn’t already. A team that never touches a goalie under 6’2” Will obviously never have a successful goalie under that height. If enough teams think like that. It makes it really hard for goalies under 6’2” to even get a shot.

As aside, I wonder what the most common height is among NHL goalies. I’m blindly guessing it’s 6’4”.

I think this is it. And, on the flip side, if you're 6'4", you're going to get opportunities to try, and fail, and potentially grow and improve, that guys who are sub-6'2" will not get.

However, Levi is going to be a really interesting guy to watch, because his status as a 7th round pick playing behind a blue-chip 1st rounder in the FLA organization made him expendable. However, now that he was the centerpiece return for Buffalo's best player, he should be force-fed opportunity in this organization (see, e.g., Tage Thompson). Let's hope that, unlike Thompson, Levi can do something with that opportunity.

Personally, (based only on watching him play in the WJC) I really like the way Levi plays. He watches the puck really well and he uses his hands well. So, I'm very optimistic about those two things. And, Ed Belfour was 6'0". So, let's go with that.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I think this is it. And, on the flip side, if you're 6'4", you're going to get opportunities to try, and fail, and potentially grow and improve, that guys who are sub-6'2" will not get.

However, Levi is going to be a really interesting guy to watch, because his status as a 7th round pick playing behind a blue-chip 1st rounder in the FLA organization made him expendable. However, now that he was the centerpiece return for Buffalo's best player, he should be force-fed opportunity in this organization (see, e.g., Tage Thompson). Let's hope that, unlike Thompson, Levi can do something with that opportunity.

Personally, (based only on watching him play in the WJC) I really like the way Levi plays. He watches the puck really well and he uses his hands well. So, I'm very optimistic about those two things. And, Ed Belfour was 6'0". So, let's go with that.

Pretty sure the centrepiece of the deal was the first round pick, but maybe that's just me...

Levi is a throw in that hopefully looks like a lottery win in a few years.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Given he’s majoring in computer science, it’s understandable if he plays all four years at Northeastern.
I would rather sign a ELC with a team and make more money in 3 years than I will working in computer sciences over 25/30 years. You can always go back to school and finish anytime if your NHL career doesn't take off in 3 years.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
I would rather sign a ELC with a team and make more money in 3 years than I will working in computer sciences over 25/30 years. You can always go back to school and finish anytime if your NHL career doesn't take off in 3 years.

Most ELCs are two-way, meaning he'd only make around $75k a year in the AHL. Maybe a bit more, but not 20+ years in a career more.

p0nchik

Jul 24, 2021
Given the research that ClearSight Analytics has put together, that is far from the truth.

The key is getting a goalie who's specific skillset with regards to stopping certain kind of shots aligns with the type of shots a team gives up regularly given their players and style of play.

Can you post it here? Logically, it doesn't make sense. Sure, there are different styles of goalies with varied weaknesses, but if you have a team that can suppress danger changes, the value of having star goaltenders matters less.

How does ClearSight Analytics reconcile the good to bad goalies who were part of deep cup runs or championships, like Leighton and the Chicago teams that won one with Corey Crawford and then with backup Niemi a year or two later. Are we supposed to believe that Crawford and Niemi were elite when Chicago was good and then bad when they weren't? Doesn't seem logically consistent.

How did Carey Price go from elite to bad back to elite again? That pattern seems to mirror the skill of his team.

Reactions: jc17

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

"Dafuque???"
FB_IMG_1629787272556.jpg

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Can we get this quote as an auto-responder to those who continue to wring their hands over NCAA UFA possibilities:

“And, obviously, know it's a business and they are doing what they thought would give them success. And there was no hard feelings there. I was super happy with the trade, going to Buffalo. It's a great opportunity to play for such a great program that's had a tradition of success in the past, especially with Ryan Miller playing there. There's just so much there that I'm really excited for.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->