Player Discussion Devin Shore

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Shore is the only guy on that list who's potential already seems capped. I'd rather see what we have in our other guys next year. For 2.3M per year, Shore is very replaceable.
May be unpopular opinion, but Shore can play both C and LW, and he's cost controlled + RFA. This doesn't mean I don't think it's okay to trade him for the right fit, but there's some flexibility there. IF all of our other LW stay the same, I still don't know if I slot Comtois in there. Depends how he does in training camp, and if he looks ready.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I’d rather have Shore than Sherwood. Sherwood is an aHL tweeter and Shore is a legit 4th liner

So would I. But if we could free up his salary and actually use it for something useful I would be happy with moving him.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Zero reason to move Shore for anything but an overpayment at this point. If we get to a point where we need the cap space, maybe, but we need to keep him at least until the trade deadline next season unless we’re getting a real upgrade. Most of our current wing group is either young or coming off of a major injuries. We’re better off having Shore on the roster than trading him for picks (unless we get a 1st which isn’t happening).

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Perry, Rakell, Ritchie, Silf, Jones, Terry, Rowney, Comtois, Kase, Sprong. That's 10 wingers I would rather have in Ducks' lineup moving forward then Shore. I see him as essentially equal to Sherwood. Even though he's not making a ton of money, it's easy money to move because we have 11 guys in the organization as good as him.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Shore has made a lot more happen offensively than Sherwood and I was one of the biggest Sherwood fans on here.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Perry, Rakell, Ritchie, Silf, Jones, Terry, Rowney, Comtois, Kase, Sprong. That's 10 wingers I would rather have in Ducks' lineup moving forward then Shore. I see him as essentially equal to Sherwood. Even though he's not making a ton of money, it's easy money to move because we have 11 guys in the organization as good as him.
Keep in mind again potential injuries, and position flexibility. You listed Rowney as a winger, but he's also C, and depending on who we have down the middle, we might need that flexibility.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Sherwood 5G 5A in 46 games +2
Shore 2G 4A in 18 games -10

Both pretty meh. Plus the argument could be made that Shore has played with better line mates.
Eye test Sherwood didn't seem to me to create all that many scoring chances. I would say Shore seems to provide more. Obviously +/- means nothing, especially when the entire team isn't scoring much.

Both players' situations were different, both with linemates, as well as team success at that stage. Shore's come in on what has been essentially a hard tank. Sherwood, I'm not gonna check when he was playing, but feel we were playing crappy but still getting more results at that time.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Shore has created chances off the rush and with power moves to the net. Unfortunately hasn't been rewarded but who has on this team? He also plays poweplay and penalty kill minutes.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Shore has created chances off the rush and with power moves to the net. Unfortunately hasn't been rewarded but who has on this team? He also plays poweplay and penalty kill minutes.
I'm not arguing that Sherwood is better, just that he is comparable. With being cheaper and neither being a key piece IMO, moving Shore's salary is a good move.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Good point, but I am hoping BM re-signs him. I would certainly rather use Shore's money to re-sign Grant than to keep Shore.
Plus Grant will get no more than 1 million on his next contract if that, thats 1.3 million less than Shore next season.

& the problem isn't Shore its that they are stuck with Kesler & the next coach will likely use him as the 4th line Center. If Kesler wasn't on the payroll, i'd have no problem overpaying a 4th line LW/C 2.3 million for just 1 more season. Grant getting re-signed at 1mil per year is economical.
This team won't be a contender next season so having Sherwood/Kopacka as 4th line LW over Shore isn't that big of a deal. Plus those guys are familiar with Eakins.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I've never known so much discussion over such an average player. He's an ok NHL player, nothing more nothing less, if you get the chance to get his salary off the books I think you have to take it.

Assuming Grant is a cheap re-sign (doubt he even gets 1m), I'd rather have Grant and/or Sherwood over Shore. Not really a downgrade and also cheaper.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Yes. I'm also curious what Kopacka or Kossila could do in a 4th line role.
Speaking of Kossila, I wonder what the plan is for him. He'll be an UFA after this season and frankly I don't see much future for him in this organization. He's done great in the AHL ever since he joined the Gulls, but hasn't really shown much during his few stints up in the NHL. I wonder if he'll be given one last look, though they might be perfectly content keeping the core piece of the Gulls put for the rest of the season and playoffs.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Speaking of Kossila, I wonder what the plan is for him. He'll be an UFA after this season and frankly I don't see much future for him in this organization. He's done great in the AHL ever since he joined the Gulls, but hasn't really shown much during his few stints up in the NHL. I wonder if he'll be given one last look, though they might be perfectly content keeping the core piece of the Gulls put for the rest of the season and playoffs.
Everytime he is about to get a shot he gets injured and is f***ed. Similar to Kerdiles except he is better.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I think Kossila will try another team, I don't see him getting a shot here. Of course, I would like to have him back, with two-way contract naturally.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I've never known so much discussion over such an average player. He's an ok NHL player, nothing more nothing less, if you get the chance to get his salary off the books I think you have to take it.

Assuming Grant is a cheap re-sign (doubt he even gets 1m), I'd rather have Grant and/or Sherwood over Shore. Not really a downgrade and also cheaper.
Ebbett!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->