Devin Setoguchi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jungle Boy

Feb 12, 2003
Recife, Brazil
I believe that he will be drafted in the 1st round. If I had to make a bet I would say Calgary 1st round pick, but he could be gone by then.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Jungle Boy said:
I believe that he will be drafted in the 1st round. If I had to make a bet I would say Calgary 1st round pick, but he could be gone by then.

Yeah, he really sounds like the kind of player Calgary would love. Hard working, very quick, and some offensive upside.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Jay Thompson said:
Yeah, he really sounds like the kind of player Calgary would love. Hard working, very quick, and some offensive upside.

True enough. Actually, he sounds a bit like Kobasew, albeit with perhaps a bit more grit. Stalky scorer with a good first step.

leafaholix*

He'd be the 3rd (?) player of Japanese origin to go in the first round in the last decade. Paul Kariya and David Tanabe being the other guys I can think of.

Anyways, I'm not sure where he'll go, but he's having a good season.

leafaholix*

Balej's Dance said:
4th overall. He can skate, hit, score, set up, and he works hard. IMO only Crosby, Brule, and Bertram better him.
Well, maybe if the draft consisted of only North American players...

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
He's kidan small at 5'1". I think the Flames will continue with drafting guys 6' or bigger in the 1st round under Sutter.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Leafaholix said:
Well, maybe if the draft consisted of only North American players...

What Europeans do you see challenging him right now, and taking that spot away? Kindl's not producing, Anikeenko is dropping fast, Bergfors is always hanging around near 10, and Kopitar is an unknown as of now who is just coming out. Anyone else I forgot? Oh, he's more polished than Zagrapan.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Freaky Habs Fan said:
He's 5-11...

Yes, excactly. He was described early in this thread as gritty and a good checker, etc. A few more inches makes guy that play that style, that much better. Sutter wants a BIG, young team.

Look at his recent 1st rounders:

Phaneuf - 6'2"
Chuko - 6'2"

I don't see Sutter drafting a smaller type guy in the 1st unless he had mad skill. If a guy like the one in this thrad is available come 2nd or 3rd round, he probably would though.

Velouria

Sep 23, 2004
The guy really isn't that small, and he has time to grow still. He is still only 16 I believe.

X-SHARKIE

Sutter seems to like Big guys who can skate and are very coachable. Setoguchi isn't small and the way he competes makes up for his lack of length. He keeps his feet moving always, so really his reach is never of concern.

IMO Sutter would love to have a shot at drafting Setoguchi.

leafaholix*

Balej's Dance said:
What Europeans do you see challenging him right now, and taking that spot away? Kindl's not producing, Anikeenko is dropping fast, Bergfors is always hanging around near 10, and Kopitar is an unknown as of now who is just coming out. Anyone else I forgot? Oh, he's more polished than Zagrapan.
There will be guys that come out of nowhere to go in the top 10. I'm willing to bet the majority of picks 3 through 10 will be European.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Leafaholix said:
There will be guys that come out of nowhere to go in the top 10. I'm willing to bet the majority of picks 3 through 10 will be European.

I would bet just the opposite. In general, 2005 is a banner year for North America and a very poor year for Europe overall I'd say. It's early yet mind you, and some guys will jump up, but there are a lot of NA guys who could jump up too (Carey Price and Chris Durand come to mind).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->