Devin Setoguchi WJC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
What are his chances of getting an invite to the selection camp? I was shocked he wasn't invited to the Summer Camp. He had a great under 18 tournament and had a great year. I would again be shocked if he didn't get an invite to the winter camp. He is having a great year and he played very well in the ADT Russia Challenge.

Also, what are his chances of making the team if he does get invited?

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
canucksfan said:
What are his chances of getting an invite to the selection camp? I was shocked he wasn't invited to the Summer Camp. He had a great under 18 tournament and had a great year. I would again be shocked if he didn't get an invite to the winter camp. He is having a great year and he played very well in the ADT Russia Challenge.

Also, what are his chances of making the team if he does get invited?
I have no idea what his real chances are, but personally I would have him in the selection camp if I could choose the players. (Fat lot of use that is to you, eh? :) ).

Considering, however: Bolland, Wolski, Little, Latendresse, Pouliot, Cogliano, Chipchura, Downie, Boyd, McArdle, McGrath, Comeau... O'Marra? Bourret? Chucko? Toews?... and Setoguchi?

There are lots of names there, without even mentioning a few others who could be considered too. There seems to be something the Team Canada brass isn't sold on about Setoguchi. And it's true, if you get him in a cold spell, it's a wasted spot. But if he's on... his natural finishing ability could come in handy. :dunno:

If there are already two "scoring lines" made up of those first six players I listed, and a checking/energy line that features 3 out of Chipchura/Boyd/McArdle/Comeau/etc, then Setoguchi (and McGrath?) would seem to be fighting either to knock Little down, or to get a spot as an extra forward? Can't wait to see the list, anyway.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I think one of the factors is that the line of Wolski-Bolland-McGrath played very well together for the OHL. This might give McGrath an inside edge to make the team, as Wolski and Bolland are likely on the team already. And then you have the Cogliano-Latendresse-Pouliot line that played very well at camp. These could make up a couple of scoring lines.

Then you have lots of players for another scoring/checking line and pure checking line. I personally think Setoguchi has to at least get an invite. Sutter will be pretty familiar with him, so I'd think he gets the call. All the guys you mentioned should be in the mix.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Dr.Sens(e) said:
I think one of the factors is that the line of Wolski-Bolland-McGrath played very well together for the OHL. This might give McGrath an inside edge to make the team, as Wolski and Bolland are likely on the team already. And then you have the Cogliano-Latendresse-Pouliot line that played very well at camp. These could make up a couple of scoring lines.

Then you have lots of players for another scoring/checking line and pure checking line. I personally think Setoguchi has to at least get an invite. Sutter will be pretty familiar with him, so I'd think he gets the call. All the guys you mentioned should be in the mix.

Only 32 guys get the invite if you add up 4 goalies, 10 dman than only leaves 18 spots for forwards. Someone will be left on the list, it will be interesting to see who gets the invite.

skerbud

Feb 28, 2005
Sertougi did have a good game against the russians,but one game doesnt not a hockey player make.Not getting invited to the summer camp might be a message from the brass that says possibly they arent sold on him.

X-SHARKIE

skerbud said:
Sertougi did have a good game against the russians,but one game doesnt not a hockey player make.Not getting invited to the summer camp might be a message from the brass that says possibly they arent sold on him.

WHL player of the month in November. Tied for third in the Dub in scoring.

That wasn't just one game.

He should make it. Obviously i'm bias but he can score and create, he can skate fine, and he hits like a truck. Hard working player with good character is always welcome on a team like this. Has had previous international success.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
X-SHARKIE said:
WHL player of the month in November. Tied for third in the Dub in scoring.

That wasn't just one game.

He should make it. Obviously i'm bias but he can score and create, he can skate fine, and he hits like a truck. Hard working player with good character is always welcome on a team like this. Has had previous international success.

He most definitely is all of these things. He`s a great player and should at least merit a look by the hotshots at hockey canada. I mean jesus he went number 8 last year.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
Setoguchi is the prototypical Sutter player. Im so confsued how this has even happened, he shoulda got the invite over summer and he should be one of the locks for the team. If any of you have ever seen him play then you'd know this. He brings everything a Canadian kid is suppose to bring in hockey, skill, passion, hitting, skating, everything. Hes a really solid player and is a leader as well. Im still confident he'll make the team, especially since hes from the W and Sutter picks alot of W players. I wouldnt be surprised to see Seto take a guys spot like Coglianos. (If Cogliano even has one at this point in time)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->