Post-Game Talk: Devils Win!!! - Young Nico edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Yeah I didn't see the actual TV video if that's what you guys are referring to. It's very possible he was whisked off faster than a streaker in the middle of a baseball field. I just find it ironic the guy got in his question about when they were winding down.

It was literally the very final question asked.

Now, sure, perhaps you can say that's just a coincidence, but I'm sorry I'm not buying it.

It was a very happy, proud, "you guys DID IT" sort of a presser, then that question was asked, and it was like, "we gotta go". Not a coincidence, IMHO.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
Haven't seen the game but...
giphy.gif

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
@sabremike

I just saw your post in the GDT about DiPietro. Funny you mention him, as I was thinking of DiPietro the other night. Maybe a week ago and how the end of his career relates to what's going on with Cory right now. Now with DiPietro, it went on for longer, because he missed so many games with injury. From 2008-2009 to 2012-2013, DiPietro played 50 games and started 45 in that 5 year span. That's how much he was injured back then. So I added up his numbers between those years and he had an .886% save percentage over those 50 games and 45 starts. He even won 14 of those games. And he even had 2 shutouts in that stretch, and guess who they were both against? I didn't even need to look that up to remember, as I saw both of them at the Coliseum in person. I do remember his last few games in the lockout year and at that point it became evident to me ''Okay, each team has two buyouts, this is the worst contract in the league right now. He misses a lot of time with injury, but he's still healthy enough that you have to dress him or keep him on the roster sometimes, so I think a buyout is coming after this year'' and he was eventually waived, spent the remainder of the year in Bridgeport, then got bought out at the conclusion of that season. If I have some time over the weekend, I'll have to look up the highlight videos of some of his twilight games.

Now over Schneider's last 21 regular season games (19 of which are starts), he has a save percentage of .859% and has allowed fewer than 3 goals in just one of those 19 starts. I'm genuinely curious to see when the last time a goalie performed this poorly in a 21 game regular season stretch, even spanning over different seasons. Now if you add his 4 playoff games and 3 starts to these numbers, the save percentage still only goes up to .876% over his last 25 games played and 22 starts from December 29th of last year, up through tonight's game. And he has 0 shutouts and 0 one goal against starts in that time.

Jonas Hiller had a 26 game season (23 starts) of .879% goaltending in 2015-2016, which caused his expulsion from the league. He even had a random shutout in there. Even Johan Hedberg had an .883% and a shutout in 19 games and 19 starts in 2013. So we're literally seeing at the very least the worst stretch a goalie has had over a 25 game span on this team since sometime in the 80's or possibly early 90's, when league average save percentages were like in the .880's. And it's likely the worst stretch in a decade that any goalie has had over 25 games.

Reactions: sabremike

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Has anybody ever found out what the longest losing streak for a goalie is? Cory has got to be close if not already there.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Has anybody ever found out what the longest losing streak for a goalie is? Cory has got to be close if not already there.
I'd like to find this out also.

It's gotta be a franchise record at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if him allowing at least 3 goals in 18 or 19 starts is a franchise record. If it has been done before, it was back in the 80's when a 3.50 GAA was considered average.

Here's where it gets tricky for Cory and why he just might own the league record. Because I think 2 of his losses (or was it 3?) were in the shootout. It was actually 2 shootout losses and one OT period loss. That was loss 1 of this streak back on December 29th of last year. Back before 2005-2006, those two shootout losses that he's had would have ended in ties and wouldn't have been a loss. So, currently he's at 18 consecutive regular season losses. This has gotta be damn near a record since the shootout came into play. With how many games ended in ties, I'd have to to think weren't many 18 game losing streaks before the shootout, but then you might have to look up 18 game winless streaks, rather than 18 game losing streaks.

Over two different seasons, with two different teams, Kevin Weekes started his NHL career with an 0-13-2 record. So that was 15 consecutive winless decisions right there.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'm thinking a goalie on one of those truly horrendous SJ, Ottawa, or Washington teams might own the record. Just taking a quick look at Hockey Reference there was some guy named Michel Belhuemer that went 0-24-3 during the Caps expansion season.

Jeff Hackett in 1992-93 lost 18 straight games, and gave up less than 3 goals just once during that stretch, including 11 games where he gave up at least 5 goals. He finished with a 2-30-1 record that year.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm thinking a goalie on one of those truly horrendous SJ, Ottawa, or Washington teams might own the record. Just taking a quick look at Hockey Reference there was some guy named Michel Belhuemer that went 0-24-3 during the Caps expansion season.

Jeff Hackett in 1992-93 lost 18 straight games, and gave up less than 3 goals just once during that stretch, including 11 games where he gave up at least 5 goals. He finished with a 2-30-1 record that year.
Looks like it was Belhuemer.

Found this post on the main board

Cory Schneider looking for first win since 2017.

Post 82 of that thread.

Hackett actually had a pretty decent career after his Sharks and Islanders stints.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Seriously?

You need to take a college level course in, "Learning How To Read Between the Lines 101".

That question was 100% the turd dropped into the punch bowl.

If the questions kept coming like the ones before, "golly, your team is so amazing to come from behind and win like that, how are your guys so awesome", it would have gone on for another 10 minutes.
So if a goalie doest win in a year, continues to look lost and misread plays AND we only won because he was taken out.... it's a fair question. If kk hadn't won in a year, it would be a valid question to ask.

Just bc we came back and won doesnt mean crap... for Cory's 10 mins of the game he gave up 3 and had a gaa of I think 17 or 18. Like others said it was a fairly long press conference for a coach before the question was asked, and they're also rushing to leave for Nashville.
It's your opinion (amongst a few other cory loyalists) that says it a "turd" question... when in Toronto they wouldve asked this question months prior today.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don't know man....3 goals on 7 shots in 9:36 last night for Cory and he hasn't won a regular season game in a year...

It's not like last night was just a one off, this is a regular occurrence with Cory now

I am leaning towards how the hell has it taken so long for someone in the media to ask a question like that.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
great game last night ... whole team was moving well the devils when they skate are a handful.. the worst player on the ice last night an he wasn't even that bad was vats..i sat right behind schneider i feel for the guy...

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I don't know man....3 goals on 7 shots in 9:36 last night for Cory and he hasn't won a regular season game in a year...

It's not like last night was just a one off, this is a regular occurrence with Cory now

I am leaning towards how the hell has it taken so long for someone in the media to ask a question like that.

How do you even justify starting him at this point? If you can't, he should be waived and we need to get a backup we can trust to start.

Reactions: Aethon

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007

exactly stats don't lie its every game the team plays different too and not loose when he is in net as if one mistake and its in the back of the net.. the coaching staff and management owe it to the players and fans to not dress schneider anymore .. until he spends time in minor leagues and gets his mental game back... if thats what it is.. I've been saying this for months.. this team cannot win with him in the net

Reactions: Aethon

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
I mean, I can't really blame them when one guy hasn't won in what is it now 18 starts? 19? I'm sure they want to win for Cory just as much as Cory wants to win for them, and when he gives up an early one it's gotta be like "Here we go again...". I just wish they were a little tougher mentally so they didn't sag so much when it happens. Bad **** happens. Good teams find ways to overcome it. They did tonight, but that's a rarity. Usually they just fold this year when bad **** happens.

the league is too hard to have to overcome overtime he plays goalie....

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
This "Cory loyalist" garbage needs to be given a rest. As if there aren't a select few here who are Kinkaid "apologists" if he has a bad game as well.

There are some here who don't feel the need to pile further on a guy who has clearly lost it. Whether it's due to less cynicism overall or because people are fond of Cory in general is irrelevant. Not everyone feels the need to shit on a guy who hasn't played when in what feels like an eternity, especially someone who cares to the level he does. You can see it clear as day on his face that he's destroyed by this.

The point is that asking a question of that nature is going to end up with the answer you get. What purpose does it serve? I couldn't care less if the Toronto media would have asked it after the first bad game when the majority of them are self-absorbed ass clowns in their own right, just like the guys saying that the grace period for Nylander was 2 games and being shut down by Ray Ferraro.

I understand why people are at their wit's end with Cory because it's become abundantly clear that this isn't something he'll easily overcome, if at all. But no good comes out of attempting to address this with the media. Whatever happens isn't going to be aired out to any of them, especially from Hynes after a game. The organization isn't as impulsive as this board wants them to be. If it was up to the board, Cory would have been waived weeks ago after his first bad game.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I said this in early November and it still holds true...the thing that bothers me most is 3 extra wins and this team is right in the think of the Division...it's not too late but as long as Cory is an automatic loss we have no chance...

Look at the standings 3 extra wins right now and we would be tied with Pittsburgh for 3rd place in the Division and 2 points behind Columbus for 2nd with a game in hand on BOTH of them. Cory single handedly is destroying this season. He can't play again.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
This "Cory loyalist" garbage needs to be given a rest. As if there aren't a select few here who are Kinkaid "apologists" if he has a bad game as well.

There are some here who don't feel the need to pile further on a guy who has clearly lost it. Whether it's due to less cynicism overall or because people are fond of Cory in general is irrelevant. Not everyone feels the need to **** on a guy who hasn't played when in what feels like an eternity, especially someone who cares to the level he does. You can see it clear as day on his face that he's destroyed by this.

The point is that asking a question of that nature is going to end up with the answer you get. What purpose does it serve? I couldn't care less if the Toronto media would have asked it after the first bad game when the majority of them are self-absorbed ass clowns in their own right, just like the guys saying that the grace period for Nylander was 2 games and being shut down by Ray Ferraro.

I understand why people are at their wit's end with Cory because it's become abundantly clear that this isn't something he'll easily overcome, if at all. But no good comes out of attempting to address this with the media. Whatever happens isn't going to be aired out to any of them, especially from Hynes after a game. The organization isn't as impulsive as this board wants them to be. If it was up to the board, Cory would have been waived weeks ago after his first bad game.
He is a detriment to the team now...and he was last season as well. Without a Herculean effort from Kinkaid down the stretch last year would've been lost too.

We really have a situation where one person is a critical component in costing us games. Something needs to be done.

Asking for the media or fans to keep quiet while we lose ground and potentially the season doesn't seem to make much sense to me. The administration should feel pressure to do something because this is reaching absurd levels.

And that is the purpose of asking the question...to put pressure on the organization. To make them answer for their inaction...how does that saying go about doing the same thing over and over and expectng a different result?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->