Post-Game Talk: Devils Win!!! - Young Nico edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Cory let in two garbage goals tonight. I'd get deflated too. I don't remember Kinkaid ever playing this poorly.

I mean, I can't really blame them when one guy hasn't won in what is it now 18 starts? 19? I'm sure they want to win for Cory just as much as Cory wants to win for them, and when he gives up an early one it's gotta be like "Here we go again...". I just wish they were a little tougher mentally so they didn't sag so much when it happens. Bad shit happens. Good teams find ways to overcome it. They did tonight, but that's a rarity. Usually they just fold this year when bad shit happens.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I can't believe it took a guy we don't even know to ask him this. I know Amanda Stein isn't gonna ask something like this, as she works for the team, but you would think Abbey or Chris Ryan or the guy from The Athletic would ask by now.

Why dude? This accomplishes absolutely nothing.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The question itself wasn't out of bounds, it's just doubtful you're going to get a favorable response to it. And it's odd timing after a comeback win.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
just because the guy asked this "tough" question doesn't mean it was professional to ask. you're putting hynes in a very terrible and public situation and framing the question as if he has one of two choices:

yes, we're sending him down
no, we're gonna keep him up and have faith in him (which he might not)

it's most definitely the elephant in the room, but i think reporters didn't ask it for good reason

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Why dude? This accomplishes absolutely nothing.
Is it the really the most of line question? It might seem like it now, but the media (not sure if local or not) were going out of their way to ask Lou if Marty was gonna be traded during the Johnny Mac stretch.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
just because the guy asked this "tough" question doesn't mean it was professional to ask. you're putting hynes in a very terrible and public situation and framing the question as if he has one of two choices:

yes, we're sending him down
no, we're gonna keep him up and have faith in him (which he might not)

it's most definitely the elephant in the room, but i think reporters didn't ask it for good reason
I never expected anyone to ask Hynes, but thought the question would be brought to Shero first. But Shero has only given one interview since the season started anyway and he did seem to ask him about Cory, without actually asking about his future beyond this year or if the AHL was an option.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
The biggest problem with the question wasn't the question itself but as has already mentioned who it was addressed to. Hynes may have input on those calls but the coach is not responsible for transactions, so even if he has an opinion (which he does and expressed) it's not his call nor an appropriate question for his position. If Ray waives Cory tomorrow Hynes looks bad, so I think it has already been discussed or Hynes would not have said Cory is where he is supposed to be. Hynes would have said we haven't discussed Cory going to Binghamton as being an option at this time instead of what he said.

Reactions: Bleedred

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I was waiting for the hard question and it came and I winced knowing Hynes isn't going to give it an ounce of validity and he didn't. It's a legit question but you NEVER get an honest answer on that one. You toe the team line to the end and never ever throw anyone under the bus unless you know they are already headed out the door and the team's current status doesn't allow for unprofessional ism from the coach right now. His seat is glowing red a little even if Cory's is glowing brighter.

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007
upload_2018-12-15_7-18-45.jpeg

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
just because the guy asked this "tough" question doesn't mean it was professional to ask. you're putting hynes in a very terrible and public situation

It was hysterical how quickly that question terminated the post-game presser though.

It was like someone farted in the elevator.

Is it the really the most of line question?

Huh? Drunks thread?

Reactions: OmNomNom

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It should be noted that yes the Hynes presser ended quickly after the minor league question but it was nine minutes in, it was probably going to end anyway

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It should be noted that yes the Hynes presser ended quickly after the minor league question but it was nine minutes in, it was probably going to end anyway

Yeah, I watched his whole presser and he was talking for a while, so I expected to end anyway.

It seems like his pressers are very long and he loves to talk when we win, but they're very short when we lose.

Not that I blame him for wanting to talk more after a win, especially one like this.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
If MacBlack is playing well in Bing, I don't think you sit him so some guy on the wrong side of 30 can work things out

If you had a Wedgewood/Danis situation where neither goalie looked good, then I might do it

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

Seriously?

You need to take a college level course in, "Learning How To Read Between the Lines 101".

That question was 100% the turd dropped into the punch bowl.

If the questions kept coming like the ones before, "golly, your team is so amazing to come from behind and win like that, how are your guys so awesome", it would have gone on for another 10 minutes.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Out of line.

Missing an ''out'' there haha.

I make a lot of typos, weird auto corrects and leave out words a lot when typing on my phone, which has a zillion cracks on the screen.

Honestly, I read that and I was thinking, Bleedred has had a great night, I wonder what he was drinking.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I can’t wrap my head around how bad Cory became over the course of a year or two.
Likely injuries. There are many players who start to perform poorly at his age, which isn't old, but it's older than league by 5 years. It's just that the players who perform this poorly at his age, were never as good as him before they started to perform badly.

Jimmy Howard and Karl Lehtonen fell off at similar ages. Howard is actually having a good season, but between 2013-2014 and 2017-2018, he had one isolated and random good season and I think he only played like 30 games or something that year. The rest were not even average. Lehtonen was a very high goalie pick and he was very solid, but was he ever as good as Cory? In his pre-NHL career he was, which caused him to be drafted so high. As far as the NHL goes? Definitely not.

And I'm not gonna count Cam Ward, as Ward has been a bad goalie for more of his career than not. He just had a few good seasons between 2008 and 2012. His pre 2007-2008 seasons were as bad as his post 2012 seasons have been. Even that year he won the Conn Smythe, he was brutal in the regular season and he still sucked the next two years. That was a random 20 game hot streak from a young but not very good goaltender.

Carey Price certainly seems like he's also going through something similar right now and is a year younger than Cory. And it looks like it started a year later, which would be 30 years old, just like when it happened to Cory. Holtby looks like it might be happening to him and he just turned 29.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Honestly, I read that and I was thinking, Bleedred has had a great night, I wonder what he was drinking.
As much as I don't wanna admit it, I think it could also due to old age haha. I never left out this many words a couple years ago.

I was actually reading old posts earlier today. I somehow came across one of the ''Fire DeBoer'' threads circa November 2014. And I was like ''Wow, I never made all those typing mistakes or left out a bunch of words back then''.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

If the questions kept coming like the ones before, "golly, your team is so amazing to come from behind and win like that, how are your guys so awesome", it would have gone on for another 10 minutes.

Eh I doubt regular season pressers go on that long even if they don't show all of it in the clip, since usually the clips are under ten minutes.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Seriously?

You need to take a college level course in, "Learning How To Read Between the Lines 101".

I wish they showed where he walked off. I'd like to see it again. This video cuts off with him barely even finished answering the question.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I wish they showed where he walked off. I'd like to see it again. This video cuts off with him barely even finished answering the question.

Yeah I didn't see the actual TV video if that's what you guys are referring to. It's very possible he was whisked off faster than a streaker in the middle of a baseball field. I just find it ironic the guy got in his question about when they were winding down.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN

They were pausing to end before that last question. It was the well, might as well throw this out anyways question as the finale regardless. Still a shitty Q if you're expecting a real response imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad