Friedman: Devils willing to trade 18th or 20th 1st Round Pick

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Three way trade:

TO DET: Eriksson, 20 OA
TO VAN: Nothing
TO NJD: Virtanen, + from Van

I think Virtanen may actually fit the mold of what New Jersey might be looking for. The guy was on pace for 22 goals last year with limited opportunity, he could feasible play as a top 6 LW or RW (he plays both) next season. He is also a RFA so you have control over what kind of contract you sign him to, and at age 24 he is still young and cost controlled for several more years.

Not sure if there'd be something else coming back from Vancouver, but if there is something small, the options there.

Honestly, I’d rather keep our pick and cut Detroit out of the deal. The Devils could absorb the Eriksson deal if Vancouver made it worth their while. I’m not sure what value we’d want back to take the contract, but I’m not big on dealing a 1st for a RW3, even if it’s a good one with sand like Virtanen.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
You must know know something the entire hockey world doesn’t. So where would you rank both dman?

If they’re not going to be there at #7, one would think that taking one or the other at #5 wouldn’t be a reach.

Unless Drysdale is number 3 on your list and there is a drop off from 3 to 4 I think it would be a wasted asset to move up and grab him. Sanderson is outside my top 10. Drysdale is hovering around my 7th best player but highly unlikely one of my top 6 aren't available at the 7 spot.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I always hate comments like this

neither Drysdale or Sanderson would be terrible picks at 5
If you already own that pick, sure fill your boots. If you plan on wasting an extra 2nd to get them, they better be 2 or 3 on your draft list or have a signifant gap between them and the next tier. They would be absolutely abysmal picks fr NJ at 5.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Three way trade:

TO DET: Eriksson, 20 OA
TO VAN: Nothing
TO NJD: Virtanen, + from Van

I think Virtanen may actually fit the mold of what New Jersey might be looking for. The guy was on pace for 22 goals last year with limited opportunity, he could feasible play as a top 6 LW or RW (he plays both) next season. He is also a RFA so you have control over what kind of contract you sign him to, and at age 24 he is still young and cost controlled for several more years.

Not sure if there'd be something else coming back from Vancouver, but if there is something small, the options there.
so it takes pick 20 to compensate for eriksson. virtanen alone has not the value of the 20 OA. nj is flush with cap like detroit and can easily swallow the eriksson cap hit. so let's simplify:
TO VAN: Nothing or future consideration
TO NJD: Eriksson, Virtanen, + from Van

this looks much more attractive for the devils

Reactions: MichaelJ

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
so it takes pick 20 to compensate for eriksson. virtanen alone has not the value of the 20 OA. nj is flush with cap like detroit and can easily swallow the eriksson cap hit. so let's simplify:
TO VAN: Nothing or future consideration
TO NJD: Eriksson, Virtanen, + from Van

this looks much more attractive for the devils
I'd probably do this

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Do the Devils have a 2nd rounder?

14th and 3rd rounder + Russell for 18th and 2nd rounder

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Do the Devils have a 2nd rounder?

14th and 3rd rounder + Russell for 18th and 2nd rounder

We do not; Nashville owns our second this year, VGK owns it next year (though we do have NYI second next year).

There is 100% a deal to be made between Edm and NJ for Russell and a flip of 14 & 18 in my opinion if the devils are willing to move up (I have concerns that they have no interest in it as they have not shown that desire under Castron at all), but it would just be structured a little differently since we lack the second this year. But this is definitely a trade base that makes total sense to me.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
We do not; Nashville owns our second this year, VGK owns it next year (though we do have NYI second next year).

There is 100% a deal to be made between Edm and NJ for Russell and a flip of 14 & 18 in my opinion if the devils are willing to move up (I have concerns that they have no interest in it as they have not shown that desire under Castron at all), but it would just be structured a little differently since we lack the second this year. But this is definitely a trade base that makes total sense to me.
Where would Russell play though?

Id rather acquire a 2nd than move up also

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Where would Russell play though?

Id rather acquire a 2nd than move up also

Given we have one LHD on the roster right now (Butcher), I'm kind of confused by the question. He basically allows us to walk away from Mueller.

Moving up here doesn't prevent you from getting a second round pick via another trade such as moving down from 20......

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Given we have one LHD on the roster right now (Butcher), I'm kind of confused by the question. He basically allows us to walk away from Mueller.

Moving up here doesn't prevent you from getting a second round pick via another trade such as moving down from 20......
Well I ask because I suspect Subban plays the left top pair with Severson or we acquire someone for that spot, with Butcher at the 2nd LHD - and idk if I want a veteran at the 3rd LHD instead of a young guy simply to move up four spots in the draft

At that point why not just re-sign Greene for the bottom pair LHD, at least he'd play most of the season

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Well I ask because I suspect Subban plays the left top pair with Severson or we acquire someone for that spot, with Butcher at the 2nd LHD - and idk if I want a veteran at the 3rd LHD instead of a young guy simply to move up four spots in the draft

At that point why not just re-sign Greene for the bottom pair LHD, at least he'd play most of the season

Why would we move Subban to LHD? And acquiring Russell doesn't prevent us from acquiring a number 1 LHD given that is not his role. He's a third pairing or 7th d-man. You don't have to block a young guy since he can play the 7th d man role, and understand he's probably not likely to block a young guy from the role because Ty Smith plays his off hand and we don't really have any lefties ready to come up. If he's blocking anyone, its probably going to be Mueller and Mermis from re-signing which is perfectly fine.

There is a fairly considerable drop from 14 to 18 in talent. At 14, you could easily end up with Jarvis, Quinn, Askarov, etc. At 18, you're looking at Holloway and Perreault and those types.

Greene doesn't give you a slight boost from 18 to 14, which as I said, could result in a big shift in talent. Secondarily, Russell may actually be cheaper than Greene given that he's only 1.5 in real cash. If you don't want to block young kids, seems kind of weird to then advocate for re-signing Greene anyway.

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Gotta be some sort of trade between OTT and NJ if NJ really likes someone at 5. Ottawa already getting Byfield/Stutzle at 3 allows them to drop back a couple of spots for better assets. NJ also doesn't have any 2nds, Ottawa has 4.

5th+28th+33rd+58th+2021 2nd (CBJ) for 7th+18th+20th.

For value, could be broken down as:

5th+33rd for 7th+20th

28th+58th+2021 2nd (CBJ) for 18th.

Those trades could be done separately as well, with minor adds from each side where they see fit. Also again, this only happens if NJ LOVES someone at 5 and feel the sens or ducks might take them.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Why would we move Subban to LHD? And acquiring Russell doesn't prevent us from acquiring a number 1 LHD given that is not his role. He's a third pairing or 7th d-man. You don't have to block a young guy since he can play the 7th d man role, and understand he's probably not likely to block a young guy from the role because Ty Smith plays his off hand and we don't really have any lefties ready to come up. If he's blocking anyone, its probably going to be Mueller and Mermis from re-signing which is perfectly fine.

There is a fairly considerable drop from 14 to 18 in talent. At 14, you could easily end up with Jarvis, Quinn, Askarov, etc. At 18, you're looking at Holloway and Perreault and those types.

Greene doesn't give you a slight boost from 18 to 14, which as I said, could result in a big shift in talent. Secondarily, Russell may actually be cheaper than Greene given that he's only 1.5 in real cash. If you don't want to block young kids, seems kind of weird to then advocate for re-signing Greene anyway.
fair enough, I thought the 11-20 mark was similar for prospect tiers but if thats the case then why not!

And I had Subban on the left because I though Smith was coming up on the right side

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Gotta be some sort of trade between OTT and NJ if NJ really likes someone at 5. Ottawa already getting Byfield/Stutzle at 3 allows them to drop back a couple of spots for better assets. NJ also doesn't have any 2nds, Ottawa has 4.

5th+33rd for 7th+20th

Those trades could be done separately as well, with minor adds from each side where they see fit. Also again, this only happens if NJ LOVES someone at 5 and feel the sens or ducks might take them.

I wouldn't have any interest in moving to 5 and giving up the other assets, and the Devils have never moved up under Castron, so i don't know how likely the team is to do that anyway. Its my same fear with making the Kris Russell swap to get from 18 to 14.

Personally, I don't know why you do it...I think you'd have to value someone way higher than the others, and I just don't see the draft being structured that way this year, but obviously prospect evaluation is highly subjective, so I'm sure that there are a few people who have someone way higher tier wise or something at #5.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey

5th+33rd for 7th+20th

4gq29i.jpg

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

5th+33rd for 7th+20th

I would really prefer staying put over either of those.

Reactions: SJinNewJersey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad