Friedman: Devils willing to trade 18th or 20th 1st Round Pick

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
If New Jersey offered 18 and 20 for mantha would detroit to that ?

Mantha doesn't make sense because of his age. Our core is extremely young and adding Mantha, who will likely start to decline while our core enters the prime is pointless. Better to take 18 y. o. players with those picks.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Mantha doesn't make sense because of his age. Our core is extremely young and adding Mantha, who will likely start to decline while our core enters the prime is pointless. Better to take 18 y. o. players with those picks.
That is logical sir but I’d like to see a three way with Montreal . If Detroit would accept your 18 and 20 for mantha , Montreal would give you the 16 th plus something to cover the 20th . I would assume the 16th for the 18th is good value for the devils . For the 20 th would a Mtl 2nd , choice of juulsen/fleury and a choice of Lindgren/mcniven suffice ?

keeping in mind there is a jump in two spots with the 18 to 16 pick as well

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Woah dude

Cernak
Killorn
Nolan Foote
2020 pick

For

Coleman

2020 pick they already owned

We out bois. Losing Killorn was already enough. I tossed in Joseph simply because he won't get a chance here and isn't a bad player. Losing a top 4 D and top 6 forward for a pick we already used to own and a player we won't see for years is too much.

Respect the hustle though

Reactions: Guttersniped

RCAFguy

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
If media reporting is accurate and WPG is actually looking to move Laine they aren’t doing so expecting a Hughes level of player in return. They basically hope some other team will deal with his maturity issues and contract demands. He’s a great player but clearly there are some issues because at his age and with his early success he should be untouchable. He apparently isn’t untouchable and it’s WPG making him available not teams calling on him if the reporting is to be believed.

If random posters on a message board see the issues don’t you think NHL GMs do? WPG probably ends up keeping him and just has a grind of a contract negotiation with him. Again he’s a great player but there has been enough reporting to suggest there is baggage.
This is in fact the exact opposite of whats being reported. What has in fact been reported is that the Jets are NOT shopping Laine. Only listening to other teams offers.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Woah dude

Cernak
Killorn
Nolan Foote
2020 pick

For

Coleman

2020 pick they already owned

We out bois. Losing Killorn was already enough. I tossed in Joseph simply because he won't get a chance here and isn't a bad player. Losing a top 4 D and top 6 forward for a pick we already used to own and a player we won't see for years is too much.

Respect the hustle though

the Coleman trade from 7 months ago has literally nothing to do with a trade now.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
That is logical sir but I’d like to see a three way with Montreal . If Detroit would accept your 18 and 20 for mantha , Montreal would give you the 16 th plus something to cover the 20th . I would assume the 16th for the 18th is good value for the devils . For the 20 th would a Mtl 2nd , choice of juulsen/fleury and a choice of Lindgren/mcniven suffice ?

keeping in mind there is a jump in two spots with the 18 to 16 pick as well

No, it would still be bad because when you look at our prospects, it's quite clear that we need quality over quantity. Watering down #18 and #20 into lesser assets, doesn't help.

I personally think that Fitzgerald is a bit too optimistic in terms of NHL ready young players he can get for those picks so we will most likely end up using them but if we were to trade them, the best possible scenario would be to trade both of them to trade up into top 10 and if we hit twice, we accelerate our rebuild a lot.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
This is in fact the exact opposite of whats being reported. What has in fact been reported is that the Jets are NOT shopping Laine. Only listening to other teams offers.

I’m guessing different sources say different things but check out the NHL_Watcher Twitter account discussing Dreger on TSN1050. Says Laine very much available and teams not calling because they don’t think he is.

I don’t have a dog in the hunt and I don’t want the Jets or their fans to suffer. Just taking emotion out of it I don’t doubt WPG may want to dangle him and see if a team will overpay. If not then WPG hopes that Laine matures a bit after being dangled in trade rumors and no team biting. It’s not that dramatic but I get the impression there is some baggage with Laine. Didn’t he have problems with Schiefle at one point over effort level? Laine is still just a kid and I expect he will work it out. I expect this all dies down and he extends with WPG eventually.

Reactions: RCAFguytip24112

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
No, it would still be bad because when you look at our prospects, it's quite clear that we need quality over quantity. Watering down #18 and #20 into lesser assets, doesn't help.

I personally think that Fitzgerald is a bit too optimistic in terms of NHL ready young players he can get for those picks so we will most likely end up using them but if we were to trade them, the best possible scenario would be to trade both of them to trade up into top 10 and if we hit twice, we accelerate our rebuild a lot.
Well if you wouldn’t trade the 18 for the 16 I really don’t know what to say . The twentieth could be bounced around till we found something to your liking

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Well if you wouldn’t trade the 18 for the 16 I really don’t know what to say . The twentieth could be bounced around till we found something to your liking

#16 and #18 are very close in value, this bump is not worth trading #20 for lesser assets.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Three way trade:

TO DET: Eriksson, 20 OA
TO VAN: Nothing
TO NJD: Virtanen, + from Van

I think Virtanen may actually fit the mold of what New Jersey might be looking for. The guy was on pace for 22 goals last year with limited opportunity, he could feasible play as a top 6 LW or RW (he plays both) next season. He is also a RFA so you have control over what kind of contract you sign him to, and at age 24 he is still young and cost controlled for several more years.

Not sure if there'd be something else coming back from Vancouver, but if there is something small, the options there.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Three way trade:

TO DET: Eriksson, 20 OA
TO VAN: Nothing
TO NJD: Virtanen, + from Van

I think Virtanen may actually fit the mold of what New Jersey might be looking for. The guy was on pace for 22 goals last year with limited opportunity, he could feasible play as a top 6 LW or RW (he plays both) next season. He is also a RFA so you have control over what kind of contract you sign him to, and at age 24 he is still young and cost controlled for several more years.

Not sure if there'd be something else coming back from Vancouver, but if there is something small, the options there.
Would definitely rather just keep the pick than waste it on an under performing player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad