Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
0xSz6sA.jpg

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Dallas actually has pretty solid bottom-6 forward depth; their issue is having zero 2nd line talent.

At first glance, it seems foolish to load up the top line, but it makes sense to maximize their best players that way. The drop-off in talent from their 1st and 2nd lines is probably the steepest in the league.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Dallas actually has pretty solid bottom-6 forward depth; their issue is having zero 2nd line talent.

At first glance, it seems foolish to load up the top line, but it makes sense to maximize their best players that way. The drop-off in talent from their 1st and 2nd lines is probably the steepest in the league.

How much of that bottom 6 talent is name recognition, though? Seeing Nichushkin on the 4th line makes my eyes pop - and then I see he has 6 points in 31 games. Seeing Faksa centering the third is like - 'wow'! and then he has 15 points in 40.... and Blake Comeau is like the poster child for touring the league while doing nothing.

It seems like these guys are top-6 players seriously under contributing when stuffed into limited minute roles?

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
How much of that bottom 6 talent is name recognition, though? Seeing Nichushkin on the 4th line makes my eyes pop - and then I see he has 6 points in 31 games. Seeing Faksa centering the third is like - 'wow'! and then he has 15 points in 40.... and Blake Comeau is like the poster child for touring the league while doing nothing.

It seems like these guys are top-6 players seriously under contributing when stuffed into limited minute roles?

I wouldn't say they're "stuffed" into lower roles, though. From what I've read, those "name brand" guys were given opportunities and they failed to capitalize. Earlier in the year, Nichushkin started with Benn and Seguin, and Faksa centered Radulov. Nothing clicked, and that's part of the reason why Dallas is where they are in the standings.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Our games agaisnt the starts always seem to be entertaining. Could come down to a Bishop vs Blackwood battle. Interested to see Heiskanen in a full game. The 2017 draft is already looking to be better than most "experts" claimed it to be at first.

Reactions: My3Sons

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
It's situational I'm guessing. Dallas's top four is really really mobile. I think Hynie wants some skaters and transitioners in that top 4...Lovejoy I cannot explain as I cannot explain Stafford. I would rather see Yak as an extra d-man/forward than Drewfus "Where's the red line" Staph-infection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad