GDT: Devils vs. Stars 8:30 MSG+ part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
There’s no goalie in the league as bad as bad Cory has been this year, so it likely won’t happen as much as you think, unless Blackwood really isn’t as good as he’s shown or we allow 40 or more shots regularly.
Where did I mention anything about Cory? The discussion here is the Defense.

You seem ( and a lot of other posters) that goaltending was our biggest problem. I think it's the defense, no goaltender in the world can save so many point blank chances in the slot and back door at a high rate.

Blackwood saved their ass against Carolina, and in the 2nd period against Van, but to expect him to keep on saving those type of shots at this rate is unsustainable, and yesterday was a prime example

Reactions: MartyOwns

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Where did I mention anything about Cory? The discussion here is the Defense.

You seem ( and a lot of other posters) that goaltending was our biggest problem. I think it's the defense, no goaltender in the world can save so many point blank chances in the slot and back door at a high rate.

Blackwood saved their ass against Carolina, and in the 2nd period against Van, but to expect him to keep on saving those type of shots at this rate is unsustainable, and yesterday was a prime example
You’re right. Expecting a goalie to stop over 96% of the shots he faces is very unsustainable.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Even I was surprised at this, but Blackwood is the only goalie on the team that’s faced 40 shots or more this year and he’s done it twice.

We’ve allowed over 40 a couple other times with empty nets and goalie switches. We allowed over 40 in the first Tampa game and the first Ottawa game, but used two different goalies in each.

I would say last night’s game was up there with that Ottawa game for one of the worst defensive games of the season. I’m not including games against Tampa or Toronto, who are much better teams.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Even I was surprised at this, but Blackwood is the only goalie on the team that’s faced 40 shots or more this year and he’s done it twice.

We’ve allowed over 40 a couple other times with empty nets and goalie switches. We allowed over 40 in the first Tampa game and the first Ottawa game, but used two different goalies in each.

I would say last night’s game was up there with that Ottawa game for one of the worst defensive games of the season. I’m not including games against Tampa or Toronto, who are much better teams.

lol so much for them being more careful with the kid in net

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
lol so much for them being more careful with the kid in net
We’ve played worse with him in some of these games than many other with the other two. The first Blue Jackets game was reminiscent to last night, only the puck wasn’t hitting Blackwood last night like it was that Blue Jackets game and Bobrovsky is better than Bishop.

We weren’t outplayed as badly in the first two periods though. That was unlike any other game this year.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This game was unusually bad. Most haven’t been.
I don’t wanna say most games have been good, they haven’t. But this game is a poor example to use when saying “See? Goaltending hasn’t been as big a problem”.

This was a lousy, lousy game.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
This was a bad game. The Devils simply cannot keep up with teams that have size plus speed. This Devils team is so freaking soft... like last season never happened.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
It is like two years ago where you could watch the first 5 minutes and be about 75% sure how this game would end. Last season they were able to overcome bad starts into games and mount a few good comebacks. This year, not so much. You have to wonder why it is so difficult to be ready for games not just every other night, but the vast majority of matches. For this squad, it looks like it is impossible. Even three good games don't lead to a longer stretch of success. After the last few games, they should've had some self confidence going into this, but instead they came out like total trash and basically never recovered. Without Blackwood, they would've been down by 7 after half the game.

Reactions: Bleedred

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
reason teams havent had 40 shots a lot is because they dominate out zone, make high risks high reward passes with regularity and bury their chances. the goalie has to stand on their head to sustain that much pressure and allow the other team to pile on shots.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

At least they're aware.

They’ve been aware, and either can’t or haven’t done much about it. For every Vancouver game there’s five or six meh to poor games then a true dumpster fire thrown in the mix like last night or Ottawa.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
reason teams havent had 40 shots a lot is because they dominate out zone, make high risks high reward passes with regularity and bury their chances. the goalie has to stand on their head to sustain that much pressure and allow the other team to pile on shots.
Teams also tend to take less shots after they're up on us like 7-1

Reactions: tr83

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I don't know who besides the deluded is expecting great games out of a Hall-less Devils team.
I definitely don't expect great games, but I do expect great effort. We can't have a talent hole and decide not to cover guys in the defensive zone or compete for the puck.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I found last night to be a fairly encouraging game.

Getting mauled early, but Blackwood again kept us in it. Then we came on strong, had the game tied in the 3rd, and had some good chances late to tie it.

This without Hall and Mojo.

All and all I can live with that game.

No where Vat's was going on that gwg? That one has me befuddled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad