GDT: Devils vs. Senators - 7:30 PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
While our goaltending has been below average, our shooting percentage is still a little above average. So it’s fair to say that it’s compensating for poor goaltending and that the goaltending is not costing us points, but this is one game where better goaltending gets us 1 point minimum, maybe two. We get a point even if half the poor goals were stopped. And the breakaway on Lack wasn’t a good goal either. It wasn’t just Kinkaid.

Whatever, ****ing sucks to lose like that but it's done. I'm just going to pretend we lost to the Pens and beat Ottawa.

Good news though! Zacha continues to play well and put up points, Palms had another two point game, Hall continued his point streak, the Zajac line got another goal. And most important, we lost so we can stop this 11-7 bull**** and now hopefully JQ will draw into the lineup
Zacha quietly had two assists last night. He’s been good on the power play, like he was last year.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Wins as a goalie stat mean nothing to me when the goalie isn’t playing well. He’s allowed at least 3 goals in half of his wins. He didn’t necessarily play bad in every game he allowed 3 goals, but we won quite a few in spite of him. 5 of his wins he allowed at least 3 goals, and another one of his wins was in relief against Ottawa, where he played a period and a couple minutes of OT. I’ll admit he was much better than Cory that night, who was killing us as bad he killed us last night. Outside of the Rangers game all the way back in October and maybe the Islanders and Sabres games, I can’t say that he was really paramount in any of those wins. He was good against the Pens, but we helped him out by not allowing a lot of shots and taking zero penalties, which is where he’s been getting destroyed lately. On the other teams power plays.

We’ve definitely won games in spite of Cory this year too, where he didn’t really do much to deserve the win, but we’ve also won more games because of him than we have because of Kinkaid when he’s been in.

I hate that we have to hear about wins. He was much better last year when he lost 5 more regulation games than he won. I hate the assessment that because he got a win that he played well. Like that Washington game. He had nothing to do with that win, we won in spite of his best efforts to keep the Caps in the game.

And for all this citing of his win totals, he has only one more win than regulation loss in his NHL career....

Did he play poor enough last year to deserve to have lost five more regulation games than he won? Absolutely not. Has he played well enough to have a winning record this year? Absolutely not.

Yeah, I pretty much said this in a far shorter post lol. Point is well taken. He needs to be better.

Reactions: mtnet and Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah, I pretty much said this in a far shorter post lol. Point is well taken. He needs to be better.
To make it short and simple, with little explanation, he sucks this year. Watch the games, look at the stats, they’re congruent with one another.

Not sure why that is? The goalie coach? Well, he had a poor season like this two years ago, with Terreri still here, so I doubt it’s that. Although it wasn’t this bad.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
The game aside, the trivia question last night I had my guess as Parise (most goals scored by a Devils draftee in their career for those who didn't see the question). Didn't get a chance to see the answer, but upon a quick search, looks like it was Shanny. Parise wasn't even close :laugh:

The top 10 are:
Shanahan - 656
Verbeek - 522
Guerin - 429
MacLean - 423
Elias - 408
Muller - 357
Rolston - 342
Sykora - 323
Parise - 320
Sullivan - 290

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The game aside, the trivia question last night I had my guess as Parise (most goals scored by a Devils draftee in their career for those who didn't see the question). Didn't get a chance to see the answer, but upon a quick search, looks like it was Shanny. Parise wasn't even close :laugh:

The top 10 are:
Shanahan - 656
Verbeek - 522
Guerin - 429
MacLean - 423
Elias - 408
Muller - 357
Rolston - 342
Sykora - 323
Parise - 320
Sullivan - 290

I thought it was most goals scored by a draftee who never won a Cup? That’s why I said Zach, the eight guys ahead of him all won Cups

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

The top 10 are:
Shanahan - 656
Verbeek - 522
Guerin - 429
MacLean - 423
Elias - 408
Muller - 357
Rolston - 342
Sykora - 323
Parise - 320
Sullivan - 290
I don’t know why, but I guessed Verbeek. Shanny should have been a gimme for me on this one, especially if I could guess Verbeek.

It’s easy to forget Shanahan was a Devils draft pick, despite the fact that Verbeek’s tenure ended even before Shanahan’s first.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I thought it was most goals scored by a draftee who never won a Cup? That’s why I said Zach, the eight guys ahead of him all won Cups

I don’t know why, but I guessed Verbeek. Shanny should have been a gimme for me on this one, especially if I could guess Verbeek.

It’s easy to forget Shanahan was a Devils draft pick, despite the fact that Verbeek’s tenure ended even before Shanahan’s first.

Bleed, NJDevs26 is actually right, I completely forgot about that part of the question when I was looking a short while ago and thought to myself, how the hell could I forget all of these guys ahead of Parise. The answer would then in fact be Parise because all of those guys above him won cups.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You’re right, that’s what the question was, if I recall correctly.

So in that case, it would be Zach. Almost forgot Muller won the cup in Montreal.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
- you didn’t need to be nostradamus to see this loss coming
- burrows is absolute garbage
- can’t fault the goalie on 5 on 3 goals, bounces, etc. by my count, there was 1-2 kinkaid should’ve had
- can’t fault the goalie for a breakaway goal. lack was solid when he needed to be
- I’ve started coming around to the idea that we’re soft, and that should be addressed. too many of our guys are being mugged out there on the regs
- what the f*** is up with travis zajac? have we ever had a player that is only effective when he plays with very specific linemates? i’m not complaining, I love the results he’s getting…his jekyll and hyde act is just mind boggling

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Bleed, NJDevs26 is actually right, I completely forgot about that part of the question when I was looking a short while ago and thought to myself, how the hell could I forget all of these guys ahead of Parise. The answer would then in fact be Parise because all of those guys above him won cups.
I saw a couple guess Muller, which was one of my first thoughts when the question was asked, but then I remembered he was on the 93 Habs cup team.

I’m slightly squirming that Parise still has a decent chance to pass Elias in all time goals.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
It sucks to lose to the Sens but you have to be a little encouraged by the Zacha line and Zajac. We lost this game but if we get consistency out of those lines, we’re back in business.

For this season and long term really. I want the playoffs more than anything but I don't want to lose sight of what this season should still be for our young team, development.

We've found out #1 center in Nico, Bratt could be our top line RW long term and now Zacha is picking it up a shit ton. Having a 1-2 punch of Nico and Zacha, when he plays to his potential like he is now, would be incredible. And that's a center combo that's 19 and 20 years old, craziness.

Azathoth

May 25, 2017
Centre of Chaos
- you didn’t need to be nostradamus to see this loss coming
- burrows is absolute garbage
- can’t fault the goalie on 5 on 3 goals, bounces, etc. by my count, there was 1-2 kinkaid should’ve had
- can’t fault the goalie for a breakaway goal. lack was solid when he needed to be
- I’ve started coming around to the idea that we’re soft, and that should be addressed. too many of our guys are being mugged out there on the regs
- what the **** is up with travis zajac? have we ever had a player that is only effective when he plays with very specific linemates? i’m not complaining, I love the results he’s getting…his jekyll and hyde act is just mind boggling
Its kind of similar to what we are seeing with Zacha recently, in that some guys just seem to work well together. Zajac isn't really a set up guy so sticking him with guys like Wood or Palms wasn't working out, but stick him with guys like Coleman and Noesen who love to cycle and out work the other team and Zajac looks like a new player. Similar to Zacha where, at this time, he seems like a guy who would rather use his IQ and passing ability to set guys up, so stick him guys who need to be fed pucks and love to score and you get better results.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
zacha with 2 more primary assists is good news. 6 of 8 points after the all star break is still good. that this team has been in a playoff spot since virtually the start of the season is very good. we still have games in hand on everyone, this clunker of a game is no reason to panic

Reactions: Cheddabombs

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
This is a no brainier comment. We are in big trouble goaltending wise until Schneider gets back but even then I am not sure he will get the job done because of rust and probably still hurting.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
we’re playing without our starting goalie and three straight, two against really tough opponents. let’s see how they bounce back from this

Camille the Eel

The old saying that "consistency" is the key to being a mature team?

Except for Hall and maybe Wood, we were not ready to play last night. The two man advantage power play we gave them with like 7 or 8 minutes left in the first period turned the game around.

On the two man advantage, Palmieri lost us the game with that high stick penalty. Palms just can't take that penalty. It's absolutely a crap play to high stick that guy in that situation. Bush league, stupid, there's no excuse. As a matter of techique there's no reason to get in a stick duel with that guy on that marginal puck, at both of their feet, out at the blue line. If he loses the puck battle there, no harm. Why risk the penalty? And at the time we were controlling the game and killing off the first power play, then wham. When you give up two goals in fifty seconds, it can cost you a game. We never recovered.

As to Kinkaid, you can't exactly fault him on anything but the Duchene goal, where he was too deep in the net and didn't challenge the shooter. But you still feel that with a good NHL goaltender we give up two or three last night, not 5. But he's what we've got right now, unless Ray picks up someone at the deadline.

The only thing we should be looking for at the trade deadline is help in net, a marked upgrade at goalie would be a good thing for the stretch run. We truly suck in that department right now. Without Corey we win despite the goal tending. And notice that year after year now Corey has a chronic groin injury. Recurring maybe three years in a row. What you see is what you are going to get as to that in the future.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
What is up with guys attacking our players' heads?

What a ridiculous, childish reaction by Burrows. Long gone are the days of guys being able to take clean hits and carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->