GDT: Devils vs. Sabres - Animal House - 7:00 PM MSG+2

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
his possession metrics WERE horrific last year. More importantly, he looked lost when he didn't have the puck and could not finish.

His play has greatly improved over the past year and it has been a pleasant surprise. But lets not act like he wasn't pretty bad last year.
But he improved even during the season last year. I remember reading a post that said somthing like "let me know when he get's to 40%", and he finished at 42%. Overall 42% is still lousy, but he was probably around 38-39% in the first half of the year and 45-46% over the 2nd half of the year.

Also remember last years team stunk.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
the reality is the majority of really young players aren't hischiers and bratts, let alone mcdavids, matthews', and laines.

a very select group of young talent made everyone delusional and raise their expectations too high.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Bratt and Hischier both on pace for 50 points is absurd. He’s undoubtedly the biggest surprise of the year. I feel like getting a 1C like Nico has lifted the weight off the shoulder of the franchise. That’s an impossible position to find normally, getting lucky in the lottery was huge.

Reactions: The 29th Pick

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
in his post-game with deb he said "last year i might have done something else" :laugh:

guy's a character, too. not that it has anything to do with the on-ice product but man is it fun to have personalities.

Seriously, he probably wouldn't have gotten a shot off, and would've ended up on his ass in the corner.

The strides he has made (over 8-12 months, mind you) are pretty significant, and I know we haven't seen his best yet.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I was agreeing with you. Post was directed at the folks who write off 20-something year olds off as busts.

There’s a big difference between thinking a guy who has very limited pro hockey experience (Wood) needed a bit more time in the AHL and calling him a bust. When the reasoned views get lumped with the extreme reactionary views that doesn’t lead to discussion as much as it does arguments.

Not to mention anyone calling a mid round pick a bust doesn’t even know the meaning of the term in the first place.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
the reality is the majority of really young players aren't hischiers and bratts, let alone mcdavids, matthews', and laines.

a very select group of young talent made everyone delusional and raise their expectations too high.

It also has a lot to do with recency bias. The league has had a major influx of serious young talent from the past few drafts. The immediate impact by this select group has been special, but it also has warped expectations for players outside of that box.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
There’s a big difference between thinking a guy who has very limited pro hockey experience (Wood) needed a bit more time in the AHL and calling him a bust. When the reasoned views get lumped with the extreme reactionary views that doesn’t lead to discussion as much as it does arguments.

I don't think anyone, last year, was calling Wood a bust. People were quick to point out his deficiencies (and some people harped on them more than others), but the general consensus was he's raw as hell but has plenty of room to grow.

Rebel Devil

Mar 16, 2014
Bratt and Hischier both on pace for 50 points is absurd. He’s undoubtedly the biggest surprise of the year. I feel like getting a 1C like Nico has lifted the weight off the shoulder of the franchise. That’s an impossible position to find normally, getting lucky in the lottery was huge.

Nico could have been a 60 point guy if he wasn't so damn snake-bitten. He's got a shot percentage of 7.1 this season. A lot of it is poor luck, but there's room for improvement as well. He just needs to improve his strength and things should fall into place .. maybe as soon as next season.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
if he gets stronger on his skates and works on his shot the sky's the limit. imagine how many more points hall can get once nico can finish off more of his setups

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
It would be pretty awesome if in the future Hall and Nico could both put up PPG in the same season. Right now the top line can already completely take over games at times. They have a chance to be among the top lines in the NHL if the kids' keep developing like it looks like they can.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Nico's problems scoring goals are totally percentage based. He's right on track for how many shots on goal a first overall pick should put up in his first season.

Adjusted to 82 games, he's putting more pucks on net then Stamkos and Tavares did in their rookie year, while trailing McDavid and Kane by 2 shots.

Full order for recent #1 forwards:

1. Matthews: 279
2. Mackinnon: 241
3. Hall: 239
4. Kane: 191
4. McDavid: 191
6. Nico: 189
7. Stamkos: 187
8. Tavares: 186
9. RNH: 177
10. Yakupov: 138

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Nico's problems scoring goals are totally percentage based. He's right on track for how many shots on goal a first overall pick should put up in his first season.

Adjusted to 82 games, he's putting more pucks on net then Stamkos and Tavares did in their rookie year, while trailing McDavid and Kane by 2 shots.

Interesting. Goes to show how f***ing snake bitten he really is..

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

I wonder what his SOG totals look like aggregated over the entire season. it seems like he was shooting pretty frequently to stat the year, but then trailed off. I could be wrong though, that’s just based off of my (usually) inebriated game observations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad