GDT: Devils vs. Sabres - Animal House - 7:00 PM MSG+2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Looks like Zajac was given an easier workload vs the Sabres, and low and behold, his possessions #'s were solid.
I'm not sure the workload is cause for his poor possession numbers this year, as he's faced tough competition for most of his career or at least for this entire decade, and those numbers were always pretty damn good during those years.

Obviously, facing weaker competition would improve those numbers, but he was playing very well while handling tougher competition in recent years.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I've pretty much been off the ''He needs time in the minors'' since probably late October, maybe even earlier than that.

I've praised him left and right this season, as well as went as far as to say that he might be better than Adam Henrique pretty soon and that he's already better than David Clarkson, outside of that fluke 30 goal season that Clarkson had. And even including that, he's probably better than Clarkson even that year, as that was clearly an anomaly season (assuming this isn't an anomaly season for Wood) and he's much more skilled than Clarkson. Clarkson was also 27 that season, while Wood is only 22.
I'm not calling you out, but there were a bunch of guys who had a long standing anti Wood bias because his Corsi in his first 30 games or so was pretty ugly, this despite some pretty evident high end abilities.

At this point I hope every Devil fan is on board.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm not sure the workload is cause for his poor possession numbers this year, as he's faced tough competition for most of his career or at least for this entire decade, and those numbers were always pretty damn good during those years.

Obviously, facing weaker competition would improve those numbers, but he was playing very well while handling tougher competition in recent years.
But we can accept he has declined as a player without concluding that he is shot.

Put him in a lesser role and he can still be effective.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
But we can accept he has declined as a player without concluding that he is shot.

Which is what they are doing. 7th in ice time and only used for PK and key faceoffs to close the game out.

Which is fine. He can still do that role. Him and Boyle legit are the only guys who win faceoffs, and our PK has been really good lately, which he plays a lot of.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm not calling you out, but there were a bunch of guys who had a long standing anti Wood bias because his Corsi in his first 30 games or so was pretty ugly, this despite some pretty evident high end abilities.

At this point I hope every Devil fan is on board.

Question with Miles was always going to be whether his head could catch up with his feet.

So far he has taken some major strides in smartening up his game. He was a lot of fun last year but was dumb as rocks too many times.

This year he is starting to look like a hockey player, which is big news for someone with his physical gifts.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

The scary thing is his sudden decline reminds me a bit of when Zubrus went off a cliff. It's painful to watch given how much of a reliable constant he's been for years.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
That was a solid win... can't believe how Hischier couldn't score in the empty net, kid is snakebitten as hell. I get they wanna play tough, but gotta stop handling PP like candy. If they wanna retaliate a hit, they should hit hard when the opportunity comes not going for cross-checking and interferences/instigators.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
We didn't get a power play at all tonight.

Not one.

And this is why I am done (for the time being at least). Didn’t watch but figured I’d read the thread to get a vibe of the game. I think one of the 2 powerplays against Nashville was a delay of game if I’m not mistaken. So that means in two games against 2 different teams the Devils have basically generated one single powerplay over 120 minutes. Boy, we really bring out the fair play in teams! That is straight up bull shit and I’m not sure how anyone could think that this isn’t an issue. And for good measure add on another offside review with 5 seconds left. Tell you this much, it felt pretty good to not be aggravated for 2 1/2 hours last night. Even in they win, I’m finding it next to impossible to enjoy the game right now.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I dont want to rain on the parade, because we WON ! but how we didnt get one friggen PP last night is sickening, I don't think the refs called one penalty on the Sabres (matching minors) at all?
I watched the Sabres hold/obstruct/cross-check a bunch of our players I just dont get it

Just think of Zacha’s hooking penalty compared to some more egregious hooks from Buffalo. Also compare Greene’s interference penalty just minutes after Hall was body checked from the side long after he had dumped the puck in and was chasing it.

That’s what gets me; the ref wasn’t calling the game loose or tight, he literally called 2 tight penalties on the Devils and then viewed buffalo’s night through a loose lense.

Reactions: The 29th Pick

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
I just saw the replay of the offside review and that looked no more conclusive to me than the previous overturned ones. So if I understand the review rule, it's if the play is inconclusive and the goal matters it's no goal but if the goal is meaningless than an inconclusive review means the goal stands. Man this league sucks.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Remember when his possession metrics made him a terrible player that should be buried in the minors because 'he isn't good at hockey'?

his possession metrics WERE horrific last year. More importantly, he looked lost when he didn't have the puck and could not finish.

His play has greatly improved over the past year and it has been a pleasant surprise. But lets not act like he wasn't pretty bad last year.

Reactions: Bleedred

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
his possession metrics WERE horrific last year. More importantly, he looked lost when he didn't have the puck and could not finish.

His play has greatly improved over the past year and it has been a pleasant surprise. But lets not act like he wasn't pretty bad last year.

He without a doubt was a liability last year. His development has been scary when you think about the amount of pro hockey he’s actually played. He’s still so green comparatively.

Reactions: Bleedred

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
If Wood continues to refine his game, his ceiling is Simmonds. Maybe even higher.

His ability to control his hands in tight at peak speed shows some serious skill. He would not have made that play last year -- honestly, he probably doesn't even get a shot off.

in his post-game with deb he said "last year i might have done something else" :laugh:

guy's a character, too. not that it has anything to do with the on-ice product but man is it fun to have personalities.

Azathoth

May 25, 2017
Centre of Chaos

Its almost as if young hockey players can, like, improve as they get more experience. *Gasp*

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I just saw the replay of the offside review and that looked no more conclusive to me than the previous overturned ones. So if I understand the review rule, it's if the play is inconclusive and the goal matters it's no goal but if the goal is meaningless than an inconclusive review means the goal stands. Man this league sucks.
We used up our good challenge on an empty net goal. Weak.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Its almost as if young hockey players can, like, improve as they get more experience. *Gasp*

again, I never said he COULDN'T improve, so not sure why you're coming at me with that.

But his improvement over the past year is DRASTIC. None of you guys could have foreseen him being this good.

Azathoth

May 25, 2017
Centre of Chaos
again, I never said he COULDN'T improve, so not sure why you're coming at me with that.

But his improvement over the past year is DRASTIC. None of you guys could have foreseen him being this good.

I was agreeing with you. Post was directed at the folks who write off 20-something year olds off as busts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad