GDT: Devils vs. Rangers - 7:00 PM - MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Can we now? Because when I said Hughes had an average shot that he needed to work on heading into this season, this place roasted me.

Said it before the Devs drafted him. Said it after. The Patrick Kane comparisons were always a sad joke by lazy folks just looking to compare to another highly productive USDP player. Actually watching the tape, I said he reminded me most of Barzal.

That is still what I see. And that's fine with me, because that's ironically who I campaigned for in the 2015 draft. There is a chance Hughes can be a slightly better skater than him too, which would be impressive.

Honestly - do you ever make a post that isn't just gloating about shit you said months ago? Do you have any other takes on anything other than 'Hughes isn't good'?

Patrick Kane was basically a year older. We'll see how Hughes looks next season. I'll wager he doesn't shoot 5% and he gets more shots on goal.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
People don’t remember the majority of what any individual posts here. So if you end up being right, there’s no one around to give you a medal.

Hughes will be fine unless you think any player has looked good this season other than Blackwood and Coleman. Everyone else has been average at best which is precisely when you don’t want to make a long term call on any player. No need to panic at the bottom.

Gusev has overall been very good outside his first couple weeks.

He is much older though and has been playing pro hockey for a long time. It’s not surprising he found his groove quicker.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Honestly - do you ever make a post that isn't just gloating about shit you said months ago? Do you have any other takes on anything other than 'Hughes isn't good'?

Patrick Kane was basically a year older. We'll see how Hughes looks next season. I'll wager he doesn't shoot 5% and he gets more shots on goal.
If this place didn't penalize and attack everyone who doesn't toe the company line, maybe I wouldn't have to? I feel like this is an ok statement...but mod feel free to remove this part if it isn't.

It's funny you are upset with my post that agreed with your take on shooting. It just wasn't an opinion you were allowed to have in the offseason...

This place still doesn't allow for fair criticism or even mentioning concerns about Devs' prospects without attacking the author. Hence many of these folks stop posting here, and it just becomes a bunch of people agreeing with each other. This has gone on for literally over a decade. It would be nice if people could actually start debating this stuff in the future. Lucky for you though I don't post or view this forum much anymore.

Reactions: Bosskarelli

Edmonton East

Nov 25, 2007
Exactly, Leons first season had him at a 20 pt pace for the entire season.
Random Drai observation: He might post back to back seasons of over 50 goals with a sh% above 20% both seasons.

That's historic and friggin insane.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
If this place didn't penalize and attack everyone who doesn't toe the company line, maybe I wouldn't have to? I feel like this is an ok statement...but mod feel free to remove this part if it isn't.

It's funny you are upset with my post that agreed with your take on shooting. It just wasn't an opinion you were allowed to have in the offseason...

This place still doesn't allow for fair criticism or even mentioning concerns about Devs' prospects without attacking the author. Hence many of these folks stop posting here, and it just becomes a bunch of people agreeing with each other. This has gone on for literally over a decade. It would be nice if people could actually start debating this stuff in the future. Lucky for you though I don't post or view this forum much anymore.

It's a theme of your posts on this particular forum. You point out something you said months ago and then crow about it when it's right.

Here you are talking up what you said about the Calgary Hall deal - not quite there, but at least on brand if not directly on the mark. Here's you talking about what you always said about Zacha. Here's you saying what you 'always said' about Hughes. These are just in the last month, I guarantee I would find a lot more if I looked harder.

You strike me as a pretty astute observer of the game, but your first impression isn't always going to be right. I agree that this board has a very bad track record of dredging up opinions to strawman attack other posters, but I don't really think coming in swinging around bona fides about what you were right about in a large percentage of your posts is really the way to go about combatting that.

Edmonton East

Nov 25, 2007
It's a theme of your posts on this particular forum. You point out something you said months ago and then crow about it when it's right.

Here you are talking up what you said about the Calgary Hall deal - not quite there, but at least on brand if not directly on the mark. Here's you talking about what you always said about Zacha. Here's you saying what you 'always said' about Hughes. These are just in the last month, I guarantee I would find a lot more if I looked harder.

You strike me as a pretty astute observer of the game, but your first impression isn't always going to be right. I agree that this board has a very bad track record of dredging up opinions to strawman attack other posters, but I don't really think coming in swinging around bona fides about what you were right about in a large percentage of your posts is really the way to go about combatting that.
....all of those links are responses to conversations that have come up again. And again. And again.

Also, if you look harder, you will find me making similar comments regarding Hughes/Kane/Barzal in the Hughes prospect threads both here and on the mainboard from the offseason.

It's a message board. Topics get recycled, especially in a season where the team is terrible. I have no problem reciting things I've said in the past when it fits into a conversation. I find it bizarre you take such issue with it. Not everyone sees posts from months ago.

There's also plenty I've been wrong about too. So if anyone wants to discuss Tedenby, Gelinas, or Elias Pettersson (pre-draft), we can do that. :laugh: Also expected both Hughes and Kakko to have better rookie campaigns.

Edit: take this to PM if ya wanna keep going since these last few are wayyyy off topic

Last edited:

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Please no more Carrick or Claesson after this year. And enough of Mueller too.

I don’t have much faith in Mermis being good, but he’s been good enough so far that I’d give him a look over these other three idiots.

Carrick is the ultimate journeyman, Claesson has no ceiling and is basically Carrick without all the changing of NHL teams so far and Mueller has gotten a ton of chances and can be replaced very easily.

Mueller has been pretty steady of late especially his games against Blues and Rangers, played 45+ mins both games and was solid, but do agree he could be replaced but with what? We've been thinking this for a long time but we're still struggling to find capable players on blueline.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Mueller has been pretty steady of late especially his games against Blues and Rangers, played 45+ mins both games and was solid, but do agree he could be replaced but with what? We've been thinking this for a long time but we're still struggling to find capable players on blueline.
That’s for the new GM to find. Mueller wasn’t a bad acquisition (even if the cost was too high) but he’s gotten enough rope here. He might be better than Carrick and Claesson though.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
That’s for the new GM to find. Mueller wasn’t a bad acquisition (even if the cost was too high) but he’s gotten enough rope here. He might be better than Carrick and Claesson though.

Wow if there ever was a Titanic + deck chairs post - this one might be it.

I'm amazed we're down to talking about the relative merits of those three.

Holy Mermis, baaaabbbbbbyyyy.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Claussen is a 27 year old on a one year 2-way deal and will be a UFA. He’s a warm body on the roster because we lost three defensemen. He doesn’t matter, at most he might end up in Bing next year as veteran AHL depth.

Carrack is signed at 1.5m for next season, we’re likely stuck with him as our extra.

Mermis will be 26 year old UFA and Mueller will be a 25 year old RFA, feel free to discuss their fates.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Claussen is a 27 year old on a one year 2-way deal and will be a UFA. He’s a warm body on the roster because we lost three defensemen. He doesn’t matter, at most he might end up in Bing next year as veteran AHL depth.

Carrack is signed at 1.5m for next season, we’re likely stuck with him as our extra.

Mermis will be 26 year old UFA and Mueller will be a 25 year old RFA, feel free to discuss their fates.
Carrick could be buried if we want. Maybe someone would even pick him up because teams seem to love him, which is why he always gets jobs. We could also use him as part of a package like we did with Santini in the Subban trade.

And that’s also why I’m skeptical we won’t sign Claesson to an extension like we did Carrick. I was pretty convinced Carrick was just a warm body for the remainder of the year last year.

Mueller should probably be Beau Bennetted at this point. You know, one of those RFA players that we allow to walk.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Carrick could be buried if we want. Maybe someone would even pick him up because teams seem to love him, which is why he always gets jobs. We could also use him as part of a package like we did with Santini in the Subban trade.

And that’s also why I’m skeptical we won’t sign Claesson to an extension like we did Carrick. I was pretty convinced Carrick was just a warm body for the remainder of the year last year.

Mueller should probably be Beau Bennetted at this point. You know, one of those RFA players that we allow to walk.
Carrack has only ever had one way contracts while Claesson is on a 2-way deal after washing out with several teams. I don’t agree that there’s a chance Claesson gets a one way contract from NJ, at most he starts in Bing if they don’t let him walk.

Last off-season Shero gave Carrick 2 years/ 1.5m AAV while Mueller got a 1 year/1.4m. That likely reflected how Carrick was 4th in average ice time per game while Mueller was 6th. This year Mueller is 7th and Carrick is 10th, so both might not be back but Carrick is owed 1.5m next year.

Mermis has played quite a bit in his 9 games, he’s the most interesting wild card here even though he’s a UFA. My guess is Claesson will sign with the team that gives him the biggest minor league salary in his 2-way deal.

Reactions: Bleedred

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Last off-season Shero gave Carrick 2 years/ 1.5m AAV while Mueller got a 1 year/1.4m. That likely reflected how Carrick was 4th in average ice time per game while Mueller was 6th. This year Mueller is 7th and Carrick is 10th, so both might not be back but Carrick is owed 1.5m next year.

His ice time is down 30 seconds per game, likely reflecting the fact that we went out and got a top pair defenseman in the offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad