GDT: Devils vs. Rangers - 7:00 PM - MSG+

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This roster is trash, so much for our great farm system
Meh.

Our best prospects aren't even eligible to play on the NHL (or AHL) team right now, so let's extinguish this before it catches fire and becomes a narrative around here.

With the way you say this, you seemed to imply that we actually iced a lineup full of our best prospects tonight and fell flat on our face. What ''Prospects'' were even in action tonight? That's what I would like to know. Outside of maybe Seney, the only legitimate prospect for the Devils that was in tonight's game was sitting on the bench for the entire night wearing a ball cap. Nico, Bratt, Butcher, Zacha, Wood, none of these guys are even prospects anymore, they're all established NHLers and I thought for the most part they did alright tonight. Bratt was kind of meh, but he's having a good season.

Kevin Rooney is not a prospect here, Egor Yakovlev is not a prospect.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hey happy Birthday all the same.

Forgot about that rule change.

What with not only Zibanejad, Hayes and Kreider, but also Buchenevich, Chytil (6-2, 208 pounds), McQuaid (6-4, 210), and Skje (6-3 214) the Rags seem to be trying to build a bigger and more physical team. And having watched a fair bit of them here and there (you really can’t avoid it some when in the city) the new coach does have them hitting and forechecking much more. They are trying to be very aggressive and I do think it gave us trouble and has been effective at times against other clubs too - notably Boston in a game before the break when Chytil slammed into Rask and sent him into I.R.
Thanks for the birthday wishes!:nod:

Fair enough, they're a big team and I'm sure they're forechecking much more under Quinn than AV. Speaking of AV, I've been saying for years now that we might have the younger, paler and hairless version of him right now.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Too many passengers, I’m guessing? Can’t be anything wrong with what he’s doing. It’s always that the compete level is not where it needs to be. Or some other **** excuse that ultimately falls back on him. Are we supposed to motivate the players? That’s his ****ing job yet he’s always calling them out on it, or at least a select few. I’ve absolutely had it with him. 4 years now and there have been several points where you’ve had to think to yourself “he’s going to get fired, right?” Wrong. Once we passed the point of no return ( first week of November lol) I was genuinely okay with sticking with him the rest of the season. But to get extended for multiple years? That’s the point where I really started to wonder wtf is going on here and are we really headed in the right direction after all?
I don't necessarily have a problem with him not motivating the team, but I feel like he doesn't have the greatest grasp on X's and O's. There's a lot of guys like this that still have jobs in the NHL and have been doing it for years, but I don't see much redeeming about Hynes.

I felt like after the first couple losses of the season, Hynes was coming out and even calling himself out. It's almost like now he expects the results we saw tonight.

I'm very confident if we see a repeat of this next year (which will be 3 of 4 years with no improvement and 4 of 5 years with no playoffs, should this actually repeat itself) then he's gone and probably even before the season ends. I'm not saying he's definitely gone just if we miss the playoffs, but I think one more year of this and he's dunked. It doesn't even really matter who is in goal or what the goalie situation is like, that won't save his job next year like it probably is this year.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think the team is being managed in a way to guide it towards a good draft pick honestly. McLeod or Gignac would be better call up options, but it's not a great atmosphere right now around the team and they might actually make the team better. No, instead we get Rooney and Pietila which will certainly push us towards a good draft pick :laugh:
I know it's sacrilege to say this, but I think you're probably right. A lot of the call ups in 16-17 and this year are really in line with what would be considered a lineup you go to battle with in a tankjob. I'm not saying the organization has a calculated plan to lose as many games as it can. I am saying that they are assembling quite the ''Who gives a f***?'' type of lineups when they call up guys like Gazdic, Gabriel (guess who was a healthy scratch tonight and on the roster as of this week and ready for a chance to play?!), Pietila, Rooney, Kapla, Coleman (he was one guy who became legit, but didn't look it in 16-17 and no one expected much of him), Helgeson, etc. I'm probably forgetting someone.

Earlier in the year we were calling up guys like Anderson and Seney (we did have a Rooney call up in the second week and Gabriel for a game in November) who could potentially help and have a future here. Just like in 2016-2017 when we left Speers, Wood and Santini on the roster out of camp, but then started going for the dumpster bin once the season became lost. It was the same thing this year. Quenneville f***ed up all of his chances and did f*** all with the 4 or 5 times he was called up and sent back.

I'm not saying we're tanking, but I am saying that I don't think they really care about getting wins right now. If we really wanted to lose on purpose, they would have just thrown Cory back out there more than they were, but they aren't doing that.

I do think it's time for a Studenic or Gignac call up, as we haven't seen them, but it's also a waste if they're called up to play the 5 minutes that McLeod played in his lone game. I'm okay with no more McLeod call ups, let him develop some more. It seems he's on more of a role there right now.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
@Tao Jones

Any info on Nick Lappin? He's almost always a call up by now. I thought I saw that we traded him a little while back, but this was clearly a dream and I definitely did dream this because I literally remember reading he was traded in a minor league deal, but apparently that didn't really actually happen.

See what I've been reduced to? I am actually at the point where I wouldn't mind Nick Lappin in the lineup in the NHL, especially after having to sit through Roon Pelley and having Kurtis Gabriel called up the other day. I've been beaten into submission. I figure he's gotta be injured, no?

Thanks!

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Love the fact that Hynes only played Nico and Mojo the last 24 seconds with the empty net. I was actually paying attention to this. Nico's last shift ended around 2:30. There was an icing against NYR with about 1:20. Somehow, neither 13 nor 90 were selected until there was another whistle with 24 seconds left. Hynes all in on the tank, imo.

Reactions: Dialamo

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Seney has had some nice flashes, but he also reminds me of Miles Wood in 2016-2017.

I think he'll spend some more time in the AHL if he is to become successful at the NHL level, but every once in a while you'll get a player like Miles Wood, who I also thought that about and then he looks good the next year without any additional AHL time.

It's probably a good comparison in a way cause like Wood then I think Seney should be in the AHL getting prime time over the NHL getting third and fourth-line time as a plugger. But it worked out for Wood so I guess I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, I just don't think playing on a lower line suits Seney's skillset.

Reactions: Bleedred

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
It was the first time I attended a Devils game in over 3 years.

I can tell you that the man on man system is more maddening in person than on TV. I don't know how Nas and Baldy looks at this, in person, every night, and think it's a professional defense. It's a circus once there is any traffic.

It seems the only strategy is to transition to other zone as fast as possible hoping to generate an odd man rush. The team doesn't know how to move through the neutral zone. The team doesn't know how to get over the blue line with possession. There is not one guy other than Mirco Mueller that knows how to hit anybody.

I don't think they generated ANYTHING on a cycle last night. The team looks completely clueless on how to play hockey, except on the PK, which has structure. I've been critical more about the defense than any other facet about the players.

It's f***ing amateur hour behind the bench. I don't know how Hynes ever got to coach anything higher than the OHL because he's not teaching them anything other than how to try to put 6 on the board every night while not trying to give up 7. I think if a coach is brought in to bring strcuture on D, this team wouldn't be solidly in last place.

I'm surprised that there isn't any discontent in the locker room. How could any of the vets look at this guy's strategy and think they have a chance to win every night?

Unless they're treating Taylor Hall like the Knicks treated Carmelo Anthony. An untouchable God who is more interested in their own stats than how the team is doing

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
No people just think our farm system is way better than it was five years ago because Castron's picking more of the types of players fans want (small, skill guys). Never mind those guys can just as easily bust as the old school picks. We're four years in and still hoping for the Grybas and Rooneys of the world to play NHL games.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
No people just think our farm system is way better than it was five years ago because Castron's picking more of the types of players fans want (small, skill guys). Never mind those guys can just as easily bust as the old school picks. We're four years in and still hoping for the Grybas and Rooneys of the world to play NHL games.

No, people believe it’s better because it is actually better. Kids are producing, and not in overage years where it doesn’t mean as much like Boucher (who gets brought up a lot).

It doesn’t mean they are all going to be effective NHL players, but it does mean we have more kids with higher chances of having an impact at the NHL level.

indfin

Jan 4, 2010
I was hoping, immediately after Johannson scored, assisted by Boyle, that we would hear an announcement that both were traded, as that five-minute window might have been their peak value.

Bad job by Shero not striking while the iron is hot.

Azathoth

May 25, 2017
Centre of Chaos
I don't think I agree with this. Yes there is a good chance that the Studenic's and the Boqvist's of the prospect may never amount to anything, but I'm much happier pinning my hopes on them vs when we were pinning out hopes on guys like Chatham, Braddock, Myles Bell, the Blacks etc. I also think we are calling up the Grybas and Rooneys because Shero knows this is a lost season. Sure I would love to see Mcleod or Studenic get some time with the big club, but its whatever at this point. Maybe after the deadline?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
if we have a poor finish to the year- and it’s pretty clear we will- followed by a strong draft (meaning, 2 blue chip prospect selections and 3-4 solid, high-upside guys) we’re going to be in good shape. maybe not next year, but be patient

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't think I agree with this. Yes there is a good chance that the Studenic's and the Boqvist's of the prospect may never amount to anything, but I'm much happier pinning my hopes on them vs when we were pinning out hopes on guys like Chatham, Braddock, Myles Bell, the Blacks etc. I also think we are calling up the Grybas and Rooneys because Shero knows this is a lost season. Sure I would love to see Mcleod or Studenic get some time with the big club, but its whatever at this point. Maybe after the deadline?

I don’t really think we need Studenic coming up to play 7 minutes for a night or two, or for a kid like Josh Jacobs to sit in the press box as injury insurance.

People get way too hung up on AAAA callups that are really only here to be warm bodies with lots of injuries.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
do you work for PopCopy by any chance?

FatGloriousImperatorangel-small.gif

Reactions: mtnet and MartyOwns

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
We played the Rangers once on my birthday fairly recently and beat them. I think it was in 2012. We also lost to the Islanders once and that was a birthday ruined.

Was hoping to celebrate with a Devils win on this birthday.

I don't like the spotlight and was afraid someone would make me a happy birthday thread, so I didn't advertise my birthday on here hahahaha.

Glad to be in February now. Looking forward to the ending of this trainwreck of a season.

Our birthdays are only a day apart.

Reactions: Bleedred

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
if we have a poor finish to the year- and it’s pretty clear we will- followed by a strong draft (meaning, 2 blue chip prospect selections and 3-4 solid, high-upside guys) we’re going to be in good shape. maybe not next year, but be patient

Hard to be patient sometimes when we have won 1 playoff game since the 2012 playoffs ended and are going to miss the playoffs 6 out of the past 7 seasons.

Reactions: mtnet

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Plus being patient involves certain players (Hall, Vat) also being patient and signing longterm. You can't operate in a vaccum and hope players will support a 7-8 year constant rebuild. At least Hall, Vat hasn't been as good this year but they don't have a ready-made replacement for him either. This offseason could be a one step forward, two or three steps back deal.

Reactions: My3Sons

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
@Tao Jones

Any info on Nick Lappin? He's almost always a call up by now. I thought I saw that we traded him a little while back, but this was clearly a dream and I definitely did dream this because I literally remember reading he was traded in a minor league deal, but apparently that didn't really actually happen.

See what I've been reduced to? I am actually at the point where I wouldn't mind Nick Lappin in the lineup in the NHL, especially after having to sit through Roon Pelley and having Kurtis Gabriel called up the other day. I've been beaten into submission. I figure he's gotta be injured, no?

Thanks!
Lappin did miss six games to injury last month, but after being on the first line with Rooney, his line has been listed as the second line. This season has been far the worst of his three full pro seasons on the scoresheet with FA looming for him this July.

I don't mind Gabriel being the healthy scratch call up.

Rooney is up for fourth line and PK. No room for Lappin on the NJ PP and he shouldn't be called up to play on the fourth line. Same with Studenic and Gignac. Pietila is leading the team overall and has been called up on merit. JQ still leads Pt/PG, but as you said he hasn't done much with his NHL time yet. McLeod still needs to catch up with Bastian.

Seems with all the NHL injuries they are looking at guys that they wouldn't otherwise call up due to their waiver eligibility.

I'm sure the younger waiver exempt guys will get their cups of coffee after the TDL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->