GDT: Devils vs. Rangers - 7:00 PM - MSG+

Camille the Eel

It’s true that when you are depending on a well worn Brian Boyle (whose been one of our consistently best guys all year) to right for ship in a third period, trailing with a minute left - depending on him in fact to be one of your best players - well you certainly need to question your talent level.

Wonder if Hall is coming back this year?

The roster needs to be deeper in the future.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Seney has had some nice flashes, but he also reminds me of Miles Wood in 2016-2017.

I think he'll spend some more time in the AHL if he is to become successful at the NHL level, but every once in a while you'll get a player like Miles Wood, who I also thought that about and then he looks good the next year without any additional AHL time.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Honestly, Kinkaid made a couple saves with his glove better than that tonight. So I'm not trying to discredit Lundqvist here, as much as I'm just trying to state the complete and utter truth that Kevin Rooney is a complete and utter scrub of a player at the NHL level.

I wasn't trying to discredit lundqvist either, more that the shot wasn't anything spectacular. Maybe Rooney thought if he could shoot it right into the glove that would be as good as a goal.

Reactions: Bleedred

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
The guy with the best hair was the best player tonight.

He's a power forward with skills and a wicked shot.

Senzzzz gave him away for brassard

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
not sure this lineup was more talented than the 2015 lineup :sarcasm:

those futurez tho

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
He is up here because they believe he belongs.

People are upset, and are lashing out at anything and everything that makes a mistake.
I’ve thought he looked pretty raw for a while. I think he could be much more than what he is now but he’s very limited at this juncture.

Camille the Eel

The guy with the best hair was the best player tonight.

He's a power forward with skills and a wicked shot.

Senzzzz gave him away for brassard
Actually Zucariello makes that line go. Two of the hat trick goals were pretty nifty feeds from him. The first cross ice pass on the power play; then the no look pass to send Zibanajad in all alone on the game winner.

But you’re also right that his size and strength - and that of Kreider and Hayes too give us trouble. We had a couple of other shifts in the last ten minutes when they had us pinned.

Face it, heavy forecheck teams give us fits. Our D is terrible at breaking up a forecheck or making a good first exit pass. Even when they haven’t been trapped on the ice for like 2 minutes.

Think maybe Hynes should have used his time out after Boyle’s icing? In hindsight wish he had.

I hate to lose to the Rangers. More than to other teams.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Actually Zucariello makes that line go. Two of the hat trick goals were pretty nifty feeds from him. The first cross ice pass on the power play; then the no look pass to send Zibanajad in all alone on the game winner.

But you’re also right that his size and strength - and that of Kreider and Hayes too give us trouble. We had a couple of other shifts in the last ten minutes when they had us pinned.

Face it, heavy forecheck teams give us fits. Our D is terrible at breaking up a forecheck or making a good first exit pass. Even when they haven’t been trapped on the ice for like 2 minutes.

Think maybe Hynes should have used his time out after Boyle’s icing? In hindsight wish he had.

I hate to lose to the Rangers. More than to other teams.
Let's be serious here, are the Rangers really a heavy forechecking team? They might be more than when AV was the coach there (AV and forecheck just don't go together) but are they really a forechecking team?

Or did they just look like a forechecking team tonight, due to the Devils looking like something from the prehistoric era? I would not call the Rangers a heavy forechecking team. If they are supposed to be one, they aren't that good at actually being one, but they probably looked like a great one tonight. Much like when the 16-17 Canadiens looked like the 70's Canadiens against us in 16-17.

And about the icing and timeout, I don't believe you're allowed to use your timeout after an icing anymore, as of this year, per league rules.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We played the Rangers once on my birthday fairly recently and beat them. I think it was in 2012. We also lost to the Islanders once and that was a birthday ruined.

Was hoping to celebrate with a Devils win on this birthday.

I don't like the spotlight and was afraid someone would make me a happy birthday thread, so I didn't advertise my birthday on here hahahaha.

Glad to be in February now. Looking forward to the ending of this trainwreck of a season.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Nephew just asked me what if Rooney scored the OT winner.
Saw this right after the game winning goal. I think you jinxed it.

I was going to reply ''With how poorly coached of a game this is by Hynes, Rooney might actually be used in overtime''.

He was out there late in regulation though. :help:

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Skipped the third and really can’t say that I’m surprised or disappointed with the result. I’m really finding myself having a hard time giving a shit knowing our coach is untouchable. Then again, if the goal is to finish at the very bottom of the barrel, he may be exactly who we need to make sure that happens, I don’t know. Can’t blame him for the goaltending (sort of) or the injuries. Ray also didn’t help him much in assembling this year’s roster. All that said, it just really bothers the hell out of me that he got an extension with results like this. I just can’t get on board with that and its left me extremely frustrated with the team this season.

Reactions: tr83 and Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Skipped the third and really can’t say that I’m surprised or disappointed with the result. I’m really finding myself having a hard time giving a **** knowing our coach is untouchable. Then again, if the goal is to finish at the very bottom of the barrel, he may be exactly who we need to make sure that happens, I don’t know. Can’t blame him for the goaltending (sort of) or the injuries. Ray also didn’t help him much in assembling this year’s roster. All that said, it just really bothers the hell out of me that he got an extension with results like this. I just can’t get on board with that and its left me extremely frustrated with the team this season.
I can understand another one year extension based off of last season (which I give him very little credit for, outside of benching Schneider at the end of the season) and the playoffs, but a multi-year extension? This game right here really made me forget how much I hated Hynes before we found out that Cory was shot to shit. This felt like a game from one of his first two seasons. And I don't mean the final score, as much as the inability to generate an even strength scoring chance. It's not like we couldn't put anything together against a team like Tampa or Pittsburgh or Toronto. Getting legitimately outclassed by the Rangers was embarrassing.

This game was really only close because our power play had an extremely rare on-night and Lundqvist felt bad and decided to give us a freebie after Keith let in that very poor goal to Kreider less than a minute earlier. And another reason the game was close was because it was the Rangers and not Toronto or TB, who would have smoked us out of the building.

Camille the Eel

Let's be serious here, are the Rangers really a heavy forechecking team? They might be more than when AV was the coach there (AV and forecheck just don't go together) but are they really a forechecking team?

Or did they just look like a forechecking team tonight, due to the Devils looking like something from the prehistoric era? I would not call the Rangers a heavy forechecking team. If they are supposed to be one, they aren't that good at actually being one, but they probably looked like a great one tonight. Much like when the 16-17 Canadiens looked like the 70's Canadiens against us in 16-17.

And about the icing and timeout, I don't believe you're allowed to use your timeout after an icing anymore, as of this year, per league rules.
Hey happy Birthday all the same.

Forgot about that rule change.

What with not only Zibanejad, Hayes and Kreider, but also Buchenevich, Chytil (6-2, 208 pounds), McQuaid (6-4, 210), and Skje (6-3 214) the Rags seem to be trying to build a bigger and more physical team. And having watched a fair bit of them here and there (you really can’t avoid it some when in the city) the new coach does have them hitting and forechecking much more. They are trying to be very aggressive and I do think it gave us trouble and has been effective at times against other clubs too - notably Boston in a game before the break when Chytil slammed into Rask and sent him into I.R.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
I can understand another one year extension based off of last season (which I give him very little credit for, outside of benching Schneider at the end of the season) and the playoffs, but a multi-year extension? This game right here really made me forget how much I hated Hynes before we found out that Cory was shot to ****. This felt like a game from one of his first two seasons. And I don't mean the final score, as much as the inability to generate an even strength scoring chance. It's not like we couldn't put anything together against a team like Tampa or Pittsburgh or Toronto. Getting legitimately outclassed by the Rangers was embarrassing.

This game was really only close because our power play had an extremely rare on-night and Lundqvist felt bad and decided to give us a freebie after Keith let in that very poor goal to Kreider less than a minute earlier. And another reason the game was close was because it was the Rangers and not Toronto or TB, who would have smoked us out of the building.

Too many passengers, I’m guessing? Can’t be anything wrong with what he’s doing. It’s always that the compete level is not where it needs to be. Or some other shit excuse that ultimately falls back on him. Are we supposed to motivate the players? That’s his f***ing job yet he’s always calling them out on it, or at least a select few. I’ve absolutely had it with him. 4 years now and there have been several points where you’ve had to think to yourself “he’s going to get fired, right?” Wrong. Once we passed the point of no return ( first week of November lol) I was genuinely okay with sticking with him the rest of the season. But to get extended for multiple years? That’s the point where I really started to wonder wtf is going on here and are we really headed in the right direction after all?

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
This roster is trash, so much for our great farm system

I think the team is being managed in a way to guide it towards a good draft pick honestly. McLeod or Gignac would be better call up options, but it's not a great atmosphere right now around the team and they might actually make the team better. No, instead we get Rooney and Pietila which will certainly push us towards a good draft pick :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->