GDT: Devils vs. Rangers - 14 More… 7:00 PM - MSG+2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I think its funny that you guys think Shero has much of a say in who the Devils draft. He barely knows any of the prospects he's selecting lol. He is taking the word of his scouts, mostly Paul Castron who is the head of Devils Amateur Scouting.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Yes it's lazy, however keep in mind that the average fan will see it just like that. People are stupid. It's been 7 years since the Stanley Cup finals.

I'm not all that upset about the outcome of last year's free agency considering how they overachieved last year. I get that players are going to choose to do what's best for them even though they might be offered stupid money.

But this year has been underwhelming since the 6-0 beatdown of the Capitals. The goaltending, player hockey intelligence, and the defense have been atrocious.

It's nice to see Cory regain some semblance of his old self, but I don't think he'll ever be his old self with Hynes running his nonexistent defensive structure. Cory needs defenses to snuff out the cross ice pass because he may be the least athletic goalie in the league. MBW has had a nice showing, but it's not a large enough sample size. Kinkaid was a beast in the stretch run last year, but turned back into a pumpkin.

I still think coaching is a huge problem on this team. The run last year hid a lot of warts. I think Kowalsky is a disaster. I've NEVER been a fan of Nasreddine. What does Mike Grier do? And I keep hearing what a great teacher Hynes is. I don't see it. Players make the same mistakes EVERY SINGLE NIGHT and few are held accountable. There is no way Pavel Zacha should EVER bring the puck up from behind his own net through the crease. Defenders don't put their sticks in the lanes. Forwards don't do it either. Gap control has been an issue most of the year. Guys are trying to block shots halfway between the shooter and the goalie. These are not mistakes seasoned vets should be making. Then again, why the hell do they continue to run man-to-man defense when it doesn't work. I was no Pete DeBoer fan, but he looks like Scotty Bowman next to Hynes.

Keeping this coaching staff in tact is not an option. Something has to be done here. I'm a pessimist because I think Shero, in the name of {{{stability}}}, will stick to Hynes despite the fact it may cost him another job.

Of all of the call-ups we've seen so far this year, the only one who looks like a keeper is Agostino. Unfortunately, 26 year olds are what they are. He's another Pittsburgh castoff who makes a good first impression but sucks. Maybe McLeod or Gignac pan out? I don't think they're second line potential. Shero's draft picks better make a leap next year because if they don't, this is going to take a lot longer to rebuild than 2 more years.

This entire post is ridiculous. Awful, awful takes in here.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Of the market last year I really only believe Carlson or JT would have changed the results this season.

Both were never coming here.

I don't think Carlson would've changed it THAT much either tbh. Don't get me wrong, he's obviously great, but I don't think even that addition alone makes a huge difference this year.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't think Carlson would've changed it THAT much either tbh. Don't get me wrong, he's obviously great, but I don't think even that addition alone makes a huge difference this year.

Not when both goalies were in super sieve mode.

JVR? De Haan? They make zero difference and most likely become regrettable contracts.

It isn’t often big ticket free agents work. Look at Shattenkirk. Not exactly working out either.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Carlson would have helped, but his contract looks like it may or may not be an ugly one going forward. And there's also another factor that Carlson wouldn't be able to help with....
Not when both goalies were in super sieve mode.
And that's it! I was gonna say the same thing, but luckily someone beat me to it. That even with Carlson, he's not gonna help Kinkaid be better than the #31 starter in the league and Cory not be the #62 goalie in the league like he was his first 9 games.

I wouldn't have minded De Haan, but the problem with him is that I don't think he would have been great because he would have taken Greene's current role and while he's better than the current Greene, he wouldn't have helped us much being the #1 or #2 guy here. He's not that in Carolina, because they probably have at least 3 defensemen better than him, maybe even 4. And I think Butcher is already at least as good as he is and Vatanen and Severson are better, so that's less minutes we would have gotten to give Butcher.

JVR is a guy that has super Lucic potential in the next couple years, even if it's not as steep of a drop off and decline that soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->