GDT: Devils vs. Rangers - 14 More… 7:00 PM - MSG+2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
He had a couple horrendous turnovers/failed clears. Not ready for the big time and obviously only here because of the injury situation.

Had one nice look to Stafford in the O zone though

I didn't see anything "Horrendous". One failed clear in particular at the blueline led to a goal, but the series of events that led to it really had nothing to do with him. It was an awkward play too as the puck popped in the air and he and the rag went up and swiped with their gloves. The puck kinda bounced around and managed to stay in the zone.

That said, he doesn't look ready defensively, but in his limited time showed more to me than Mikey or JQ have to this point. You can see there might actually be an NHL player there.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
@Bleedred

Hidden Hair of Hynes, is that you?

Or maybe @Cult of Hynes ? :sarcasm:

It's a valid question, though. I think Ray had a good start but especially the last summer was just awful. He did nothing to improve the team, quite the opposite. Now we are bottom feeders in the NHL and the AHL. Yeah, we got great prospects, but we got no results. If next season is like this one, it's time for a reboot at the top.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It's a valid question, though. I think Ray had a good start but especially the last summer was just awful. He did nothing to improve the team, quite the opposite. Now we are bottom feeders in the NHL and the AHL. Yeah, we got great prospects, but we got no results. If next season is like this one, it's time for a reboot at the top.

I don’t think ownership sees it that way. They brought in Shero who pitched them in the long slow build through the draft rebuild. They could always change their minds but why all of a sudden? Remember these are the same owners who invented the process in Philly with the 76ers. I can understand the frustration but I think with a healthy lineup that NJ can at least compete for a playoff spot next year. The bottom of the barrel goaltending did NJ no favors when the team was healthy and now that the goalies have gotten it together the AHL lineup in front of them can’t score.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I thought the Devils did well last offseason. It appears that they made a good first round draft pick and they did not give out any bloated FA contracts or do anything that hurt the team in the future. Fortunately our owners seem much more patient than fans on message boards/social media are.

Reactions: glenwo2 and My3Sons

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

What should he have done last summer? The free agent class was awful, and we were buyers at the deadline and therefore had a depleted stock of tradeable assets for the type of deals Shero would usually execute.

Under those circumstances, I don’t blame him for standing pat with a playoff team full of young players that could’ve reasonably been expected to improve. We had the league MVP, too.

Seriously, what should he have done?

I can’t stand lazy hindsight takes.

Reactions: Bet the Over

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
I'm fine giving Shero more chances, but acting like he's a god because he rebuilt our prospect pool isn't the right answer either. Our prospect pool got rebuilt because we've mostly sucked the last few years. Any GM could rebuild your prospect pool if you're getting lottery picks year after year

And yes I understand he deserves credit for getting someone like Bratt. Not saying he doesn't.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm fine giving Shero more chances, but acting like he's a god because he rebuilt our prospect pool isn't the right answer either. Our prospect pool got rebuilt because we've mostly sucked the last few years. Any GM could rebuild your prospect pool if you're getting lottery picks year after year

And yes I understand he deserves credit for getting someone like Bratt. Not saying he doesn't.

We didn’t have a lotto pick last year, and we were outside the top 10 the year before Nico. In fact we have had only one top 5 pick since he joined the organization.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
We didn’t have a lotto pick last year, and we were outside the top 10 the year before Nico. In fact we have had only one top 5 pick since he joined the organization.
And the picks Shero made over the last 4 years are only beginning to stream in now. It was an empty conveyor belt of prospects that needed to be filled. We're lucky to get a couple players like Hischier and Bratt on a short track.

Ol Dirty Bstrd

Nov 25, 2007
I didn't see anything "Horrendous". One failed clear in particular at the blueline led to a goal, but the series of events that led to it really had nothing to do with him. It was an awkward play too as the puck popped in the air and he and the rag went up and swiped with their gloves. The puck kinda bounced around and managed to stay in the zone.

That said, he doesn't look ready defensively, but in his limited time showed more to me than Mikey or JQ have to this point. You can see there might actually be an NHL player there.
There was also a play where he gained the redline and failed to get it deep leading directly to a 2 on 1 that Cory bailed him out on. Not sure how visible it was on TV but it was real obvious from my seat

Reactions: Verdoux

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks, the team we had at the start of the season I blame Shero and don't expect much improvement next season, that's four years of the rebuild.

The team we had at the start of the season, by and large, made the playoffs last season.

Lots of stupid takes here today. “Not expecting much improvement” is literally choosing to be pessimistic.

Reactions: NjDevsRR

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Ugh.

I’ll ask you, too. What was he supposed to do last summer?

The “sat on his hands” narrative is so lazy and misinformed.
Ray also wanted JVR Carlson and some other dman last offseason. It’s not like he did not try, besides those there was not much else on the free agent or trade market. This offseason will be a different story.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
I was a smidgen appalled when I heard the NJD had inquired about JVR. He would have been sweet on a short term deal but that’s the kind of player who loses their game a bit early or starts spending a lot of games off the ice.

Reactions: Bet the Over

Camille the Eel

I thought the Devils did well last offseason. It appears that they made a good first round draft pick and they did not give out any bloated FA contracts or do anything that hurt the team in the future. Fortunately our owners seem much more patient than fans on message boards/social media are.
I also think Shero’s brief has been to improve the brand and the organization in a more systematic way. I have not seen figures but I think attendance is probably up at the Rock. The fan base seems to be changing to include a lot of families and kids at the afternoon games. They probably have geographic metrics on where the ticket buyers are coming from. The depth of the talent not just in Binghamton but also in the various Canadian leagues has to be factored in. There feels like there’s a lot of interest in the club despite a rotten season on ice.

Shero inherited a club in ownership transition and also one that had recently moved to Newark from the meadowlands, arguably a big transition in its identity. I feel we have a more solid foundation and following in the new location.

The media product is looking better and more contemporary. The club isn’t locked into a dinosaur social personality like it felt like under Lou at the end.

Then there’s the books. We don’t see the figures on profit loss, concessions; but surely Shero’s management of the bottom line is relevant to his performance.

Nor do I fully understand the organizational changes in scouting, development, quality of training, or how the club is functioning as to its travel organization. These things too are part of general management.

I am just saying there are a lot of things that go into judging a G.M. as to the long term health of a franchise besides our record this season. My gut is that Shero is doing quite well on those facets. The club is probably financially and organizationally sounder with a better fan base than it was under the twilight of Lou.

Reactions: My3Sons

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Ugh.

I’ll ask you, too. What was he supposed to do last summer?

The “sat on his hands” narrative is so lazy and misinformed.

Yes it's lazy, however keep in mind that the average fan will see it just like that. People are stupid. It's been 7 years since the Stanley Cup finals.

I'm not all that upset about the outcome of last year's free agency considering how they overachieved last year. I get that players are going to choose to do what's best for them even though they might be offered stupid money.

But this year has been underwhelming since the 6-0 beatdown of the Capitals. The goaltending, player hockey intelligence, and the defense have been atrocious.

It's nice to see Cory regain some semblance of his old self, but I don't think he'll ever be his old self with Hynes running his nonexistent defensive structure. Cory needs defenses to snuff out the cross ice pass because he may be the least athletic goalie in the league. MBW has had a nice showing, but it's not a large enough sample size. Kinkaid was a beast in the stretch run last year, but turned back into a pumpkin.

I still think coaching is a huge problem on this team. The run last year hid a lot of warts. I think Kowalsky is a disaster. I've NEVER been a fan of Nasreddine. What does Mike Grier do? And I keep hearing what a great teacher Hynes is. I don't see it. Players make the same mistakes EVERY SINGLE NIGHT and few are held accountable. There is no way Pavel Zacha should EVER bring the puck up from behind his own net through the crease. Defenders don't put their sticks in the lanes. Forwards don't do it either. Gap control has been an issue most of the year. Guys are trying to block shots halfway between the shooter and the goalie. These are not mistakes seasoned vets should be making. Then again, why the hell do they continue to run man-to-man defense when it doesn't work. I was no Pete DeBoer fan, but he looks like Scotty Bowman next to Hynes.

Keeping this coaching staff in tact is not an option. Something has to be done here. I'm a pessimist because I think Shero, in the name of {{{stability}}}, will stick to Hynes despite the fact it may cost him another job.

Of all of the call-ups we've seen so far this year, the only one who looks like a keeper is Agostino. Unfortunately, 26 year olds are what they are. He's another Pittsburgh castoff who makes a good first impression but sucks. Maybe McLeod or Gignac pan out? I don't think they're second line potential. Shero's draft picks better make a leap next year because if they don't, this is going to take a lot longer to rebuild than 2 more years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad