GDT: Devils vs Predators 8:00 MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
I personally don’t care about the points or results as much as the way the games are being played. The team is definitely playing better and that’s whats important. They were pretty much unwatchable for a few weeks. I’m happy for the point tonight not for the standings, just that they got rewarded for playing a strong game.
Thats definitely fair. The past few weeks have been unbearable so it is a nice change of pace to see them sort of compete

Reactions: Whaddagoal

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
If this team wants to get on a winning streak, giving up 5 goals won't get them
there.

Once they take care if the tire fire defensively and stop the cute drop passes near the attacking blue line, then there might be a chance

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Because at this point, he's one of the reasons this team is where they are.

He's on pace for 13 points over 82 games this year.

We can say offense isn't the problem and it's not as big as the fact that we only have one goalie that's even serviceable, but in a game like tonight where 1 goal, more points from a guy like him would help.

Now, he's probably gonna go on a tear at some point and get more points than 13, but this is gigantic step back this year. This guy is supposed to be our 2nd or 3rd line center and he's producing 4th line offense.

I get that but I feel the piling on is a bit much. He needs to improve offensively but we all know that. I just feel like he deserves SOME respect for being very good on the other side of the puck. The defense hasn't been pretty all season but it was UGLY when they sent him down to Bing

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Considering how awful the team has been the last 25 games I would think the last two games would at least inspire some hope, but I guess some people just like wallowing in misery.

I like that the team has showed some balls the last couple of games by battling back and forcing overtime. There's at least a pulse now. Still lots to be cleaned up but I feel like they've made some positive strides the past couple of weeks

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I get that but I feel the piling on is a bit much. He needs to improve offensively but we all know that. I just feel like he deserves SOME respect for being very good on the other side of the puck. The defense hasn't been pretty all season but it was UGLY when they sent him down to Bing
Honestly, at this point we really need to move him to a purely defensive role on the 3rd line, and pull Travis up to center the second. Take the pressure off him. Also, I always he played well with Wood. I think he'd fit in well there.

Reactions: DerekDevils30

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Quenneville's shootout attempt was seriously beyond pathetic.

You could have picked a 16 year old from out of the crowd to take that shot and he might have forced the goalie to at least make a save.

Camille the Eel

We can say offense isn't the problem and it's not as big as the fact that we only have one goalie that's even serviceable, but in a game like tonight where 1 goal, more points from a guy like him would help.

Now, he's probably gonna go on a tear at some point and get more points than 13, but this is gigantic step back this year. This guy is supposed to be our 2nd or 3rd line center and he's producing 4th line offense.
In the long run we definitely Zacha to produce more offensively. But that’s not really an issue for this post game.

I thought he had a good shift in OT in fact. I thought he also played with some grit in the 3d period. Physical. Used his size and got involved. Things we really need to see from him. As a snapshot of where he is right now, these are definite improvements.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Honestly, at this point we really need to move him to a purely defensive role on the 3rd line, and pull Travis up to center the second. Take the pressure off him. Also, I always he played well with Wood. I think he'd fit in well there.

I think you have to keep with it for the rest of the season. Keep giving Zacha minutes and hope he can start to put points up. His first period tonight was excellent but there was nothing to show for it again. He was timid after that. He has to keep it going for 60 minutes but that's easier said than done for a guy who obviously gets down on himself easily with the puck on his stick

135ace

Mar 18, 2015

When Keith starts we play at above a 90 point pace.
When the ginger piece of donkeycrap starts we play at an 8 point pace.

And somehow Zacha is the problem? This teams biggest problem is Cory. Their second biggest problem is Hynes ever starting Cory. Their third biggest problem is Shero not firing Cory off into the sun.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think you have to keep with it for the rest of the season. Keep giving Zacha minutes and hope he can start to put points up. His first period tonight was excellent but there was nothing to show for it again. He was timid after that. He has to keep it going for 60 minutes but that's easier said than done for a guy who obviously gets down on himself easily with the puck on his stick

It's not like they have anyone else to actually play over him but I'd rather drop Zacha to third line center at most and live with Zajac for yet another year as second-line center.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
In the long run we definitely Zacha to produce more offensively. But that’s not really an issue for this post game.

I thought he had a good shift in OT in fact. I thought he also played with some grit in the 3d period. Physical. Used his size and got involved. Things we really need to see from him. As a snapshot of where he is right now, these are definite improvements.
The way I see it, the three or four biggest problems with this team right now are first and foremost, we have the worst goaltending in the league. We don't even have a tandem, nor a backup. We have one NHL quality goalie on the roster.

After this? We have no real 2nd/3rd line center. Let's say Zajac is the 2C. But Zacha hasn't scored at an acceptable enough pace to even be a 3rd liner. And right after him? Miles Wood is another huge problem this year due to his lack of offense.

The power play is a huge problem. I currently put it at fourth and not second because it's not even bottom 10 in the league, believe it or not.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The shootout is so asinine I've stopped getting upset over it. If we had somebody who was consistently good at it and didn't use him, sure blast the coach. But merely looking at career percentages Stafford and Boyle were reasonable choices. Palmieri scored. Bratt hasn't been good at shootouts ever since his move got scouted. MoJo isn't very good. Zacha couldn't score on an empty net. Wood would probably fall down and go head first into the backboards.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
When Keith starts we play at above a 90 point pace.
When the ginger piece of donkeycrap starts we play at an 8 point pace.

And somehow Zacha is the problem? This teams biggest problem is Cory. Their second biggest problem is Hynes ever starting Cory. Their third biggest problem is Shero not firing Cory off into the sun.
I agree with that Cory (or lack of two goaltenders, no matter who) is the largest problem with this team.

Second biggest problem is a couple guys, that we expected to score more than this, have taken steps back since last year. That's Zacha and Wood.

And back to the Cory thing, you're blaming Hynes for not starting Kinkaid more than he has? How many games do you think he can play?

Camille the Eel

Also very happy with how we tied it with the goalie pulled. We’ve done that a bunch lately and this was really good execution of the 6 on 5 tonight. And good coaching of it. Hynes got the right guys out there. Had previously rested Nico’s line for several minutes to give them one last shift. The timing of the goalie pull was right. Johansson then stayed out after a break, Bratt made a brilliant play to gain the zone. Really that was a nice sequence.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
I agree with that Cory (or lack of two goaltenders, no matter who) is the largest problem with this team.

Second biggest problem is a couple guys, that we expected to score more than this, have taken steps back since last year. That's Zacha and Wood.

And back to the Cory thing, you're blaming Hynes for not starting Kinkaid more than he has? How many games do you think he can play?
I think the lack of effort and inconsistency on a night to night basis where the team doesn't seem to give a damn half the time is biggest issue. Followed by the fact that we give up 3.5 goals a game. Then I'd go into player by player cases

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
The shootout is so asinine I've stopped getting upset over it. If we had somebody who was consistently good at it and didn't use him, sure blast the coach. But merely looking at career percentages Stafford and Boyle were reasonable choices. Palmieri scored. Bratt hasn't been good at shootouts ever since his move got scouted. MoJo isn't very good. Zacha couldn't score on an empty net. Wood would probably fall down and go head first into the backboards.

I agree.

Oh, re: Wood....

Reactions: Nubmer6

135ace

Mar 18, 2015

Anybody would be better than Cory. Lack, Blackwood, hell have the NJ devil play goal.
It’s beyond idiotic to play Cory. He’s not even an AHL caliber goalie anymore. I swear, Marty could come out of retirement and play better than him.

As for the lack of scoring, I agree, but it’s not all on Zacha. MoJo sucked for a while, Wood has been bad, and yes Zacha hasn’t finished at all. He’s definitely a big part of the problem, but you should also blame the other prospects who haven’t progressed as well. JQ looks like he might bust and McLeod has also seemingly hit a wall. So Zacha, while he may be the most high profile of this group, is at least a useful NHL player. I do put blame on him, and it’s very disappointing that he hasn’t done anything this year, especially that he’s been giving a fairly constant role. Last year was more excusable as he was shuffled all over the lineup. But I think there are also some coaching issues as well. Zacha seems to have lost all his physicality and fire. He had a mean streak in junior, but he got in Hynes’ dog house a lot in his first season whenever he’d take a penalty. Anyway, my point is that Zacha, while being a huge disappointment, is not a busy and not really personally responsible for the team sucking. It’s ridiculous to put that much expectation on his shoulders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad