Keith Kinkaid
2.69 GAA
10-5-1
.908 save %

Corey Schneider
3.10 GAA
5-6-2
.897 save %

But everyone continue on with the same narrative.

And before Cory's recent struggles he went on an 11-3-3 stretch where he was putting up his old numbers. So the truth of what he is now is probably somewhere in between the numbers you posted and those. I don't know if he'll ever be a consistent .920 goalie again (probably not given his age), but even if he's just a .915 goalie I think we can still win with him. Hopefully he can bounce back to at least that the rest of the year. If he's just a .900 or worse goalie the rest of the way, then I'll really start to worry.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It's typical of this weird ass team too that Kinkaid would play really well right before Cory comes back when just a couple weeks ago we thought we were f***ed until Cory came back.

I'm waiting for the "go back to Kinkaid" posts to start, at which point he'll probably go back to letting a beach ball past him in the first 3 minutes, since that seems to be the way this team works. I pretty much just throw logic out the window when trying to figure this team out.:laugh:

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
I think a lot of the Cory criticism is due to unrealistic expectations. He’s not really elite anymore and too many people expect those numbers.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think a lot of the Cory criticism is due to unrealistic expectations. He’s not really elite anymore and too many people expect those numbers.

Is it unrealistic to expect elite goaltending when the team's improved and people have hyped him up as a no doubt top ten goalie? Plus until last year he had among the top save percentage/GAA's of any goalie in the NHL. You could be right he's not at that level anymore, if he's not - turning age 32 with four years left on his contract - we'd be in a little trouble.

Camille the Eel

It's typical of this weird ass team too that Kinkaid would play really well right before Cory comes back when just a couple weeks ago we thought we were ****ed until Cory came back.

I'm waiting for the "go back to Kinkaid" posts to start, at which point he'll probably go back to letting a beach ball past him in the first 3 minutes, since that seems to be the way this team works. I pretty much just throw logic out the window when trying to figure this team out.:laugh:

Yeah and after six weeks out, and with 19 games left, Hynes really had to bring Cory back to see what we have. With Kinkaid having played probably the best stretch in his career, and only time not garbage time he's been asked to be a # 1.

The big question is really how is Cory today? People here say he's "healthy" but we'll only know after the next few games. Groin is a chronic type injury. How does he feel today after playing a long tough NHL game for the first time? It can go either way now. (Remember when Montreal was trying to bring Price back last year or the year before, whenever he went down for the season with a groin?) Either he'll play himself back into shape and return to baseline with 18 games left, or maybe it's just possible that a week from now we'll hear he's been shut down for the season because the injury's flared up.

But now is the time to find out. Thankfully we've got a little cushion in the standings and other clubs keep losing.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I’m willing to give Cory mulligan, since it was a first game back from his injury. Unfortunately, if this continues does he force Shero to look into other goaltending options this offseason? I personally think so.

Reactions: Maine Fan

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Actually its the other way around.

Since December 15th:

Keith Kinkaid
2.69 GAA
10-5-1
.908 save %

Corey Schneider
3.10 GAA
5-6-2
.897 save %

But everyone continue on with the same narrative.
It isnt a narrative, it’s an inarguable fact. Cory is, was, and always will be the better goalie.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Is it unrealistic to expect elite goaltending when the team's improved and people have hyped him up as a no doubt top ten goalie? Plus until last year he had among the top save percentage/GAA's of any goalie in the NHL. You could be right he's not at that level anymore, if he's not - turning age 32 with four years left on his contract - we'd be in a little trouble.

I’m not sure if it’s unrealistic but he hasn’t been that level for almost two years. He can steal games now and then obviously and is still probably top 10-15 but I don’t think he is the top 3/5 guy from a few years ago. Which is fine since he’s better than the backups and is still pretty good. But you’re right, he has 4 years left...

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I’m willing to give Cory mulligan, since it was a first game back from his injury. Unfortunately, if this continues does he force Shero to look into other goaltending options this offseason? I personally think so.
What I’ve said for the last couple months is that if this does continue, it may be Kinkaid who pays the price for it, as it may force Shero to look for a more reliable backup option, who can play more games so that Cory doesn’t have to play 55 games or more. Or someone who will push Cory for more time in the net. I don’t think Kinkaid has that ability.

Shero hasn’t f***ed around with his goaltending much, neither in Pittsburgh or here. When MAF was struggling (especially in the playoffs) he went out and got Vokoun. When Cory struggled last year, Terreri lost his job over it.

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
Boy, am I glad I didn't stick around here after the game last night. You would have thought we are with 40 points and lost our 20th in a row.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dialamo

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
What a chance we had last night. Pittsburgh lost as I predicted, Columbus lost and even Philadelphia lost. It would have been a big gain for the Devils but didn't happen.

We can't allow these opportunities to get away. They played hard but it didn't happen. Blame Cory, the offense, the defense and the coaches or all of them it wasn't enough.

Tonight we need a win.
On to Carolina.

Go Devils

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Just like we give pits fits.

Seinfeld-GeorgeAndJerry.jpg

George: "so let me see if i got this right"
Jerry: "all right sir"
George: "we gave pitts fits?"
Jerry: "we gave pitts fits!"
George: "pitts?"
Jerry: "pitts!"
George: "fits?"
Jerry: "fits!"
George: "so we gave fits?"
Jerry: "gave fits!"
George: "and we took those fits..."
Jerry: "oh, we took the fits"
George: "...and gave them to pitts?"
Jerry: "right to pitts!"
George: "how could we give fits to pitts?! how could we give pitts fits??"
Jerry: (shrugs, hands up, exasperated)
George: "boy, you have fits, and you give them to pitts"
Jerry: "it's a pitt fit"
George: "George is getting upset!!"

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Elite, average, below average... Doesn't matter. That 2nd goal cannot, and should not ever find its way in from that angle.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
And before Cory's recent struggles he went on an 11-3-3 stretch where he was putting up his old numbers. So the truth of what he is now is probably somewhere in between the numbers you posted and those. I don't know if he'll ever be a consistent .920 goalie again (probably not given his age), but even if he's just a .915 goalie I think we can still win with him. Hopefully he can bounce back to at least that the rest of the year. If he's just a .900 or worse goalie the rest of the way, then I'll really start to worry.

Think about that for a moment. 11-3--3. That's 17 games with 11 wins. He's started in 36 and has 17 wins....

So 11 wins in a 17 game stretch and 6 wins in the other 19 games. That's atrocious. Inexcusably horrifically bad. That's almost a quarter of a season with only 6 wins.

Last edited:

Camille the Eel

Yep that goal was awful, but he looked agile in his first game, was moving freely, and made some brilliant saves on guys coming down the slot and on the sides of the slot, fast, shooting from about 20 feet out.

He didn't look strong in his crease, but our entire team was shoved around by Florida in scrambles in front of our net. They always do that to us.

So I repeat the question is how is he today? Does he play again tonight? I think the next week or so will show us which way our goaltending is heading for the rest of the season.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
That weak rebound Cory let up gave FLA the first goal.

Set the tone.

Cory was not sharp again and failed to come up big.

I hated that Maroon fought a useless goon. Stupid.

Vats looks like he's playing with a concussion His reaction time is even slower than Greene.

Bad but expected loss to white hot FLA.

Their speed and pressure wouldn't let us play our game.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
kinkaid's playing tonight.

bad/fluky goal let in by cory but he looked good otherwise. let's see how he plays in the next run before we're ready to declare him a bad goalie. he was apparently playing through injury when he had that terrible stretch and looked good before that, and im not sure why anyone thinks kinkaid has what it takes to be this team's starting goalie down the stretch so for better or worse we're going to live and die with cory.

for reference - we only scored one goal last night before pulling our goalie, that's not good enough to win. we are still closer to 1st place in our division than out of the playoffs, we're getting healthier and the team has been playing really well. there's not a whole lot to be worried about honestly. we always play bad against florida and we're not going to win every game.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
didn't get the maroon fight either but he played well aside from that. i like what he can bring, and it was his first game in two weeks so he was getting his feet wet too.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Definitely Kink tonight regardless of last night. He owns the Canes and he knows it, hoping he has a nice confident start tonight and that the team plays so hard in front of him that he doesn't even need to work that hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->