Post-Game Talk: Devils vs. Isles. Still winless but Brunner rules. Now hit the road Jack!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwidevil

The thing that worries me about Larsson is that he doesn't really have any skill set that is remotely close to elite.

As a young guy it takes a while to develop an all around game, but we should be seeing something that stands out for him by now.

His shot isn't great, his passing is OK, his foot speed is pretty bad, his positioning isn't the best, his partner covering isn't always good as he takes a while to read the situation, he lacks physicality.

Over time, all this should improve. But I am not sure any of the base skills will end up being true #1 Dman stuff.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Well considering we're supposed to have 2000 new sth's every year it shows single-game sales are horrifyingly bad if they can't even sell out a Friday opener against a local team.

We need more data. Hopefully tonight was a fluke in terms of poor attendance, but it's definitely concerning. Heck, they drew better than this on a Friday night Opening Night in 2008 against a non-rival (Dallas Stars).

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Loktionov was great when he played. Not sure what he has to do to earn some ice time.

I'm perplexed. He's done everything he could every shift. He has been good 99% of the time as a devil. Eh pete makes some weird decisions, what's the point of questioning anymore?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The obvious difference though is that any given game Marty plays that's poor has the age/regression/decline factor in play that's likely to happen (even if you don't believe he's currently at that point, it literally has to happen eventually as long as he keeps playing) whereas with Schneider he hasn't really been tested outside of Vancouver yet and one or two bad games is more likely to be chalked up to just, well, a bad game.

A lot of people weren't happy with Schneider last night, but I think Marty was honestly worse tonight.

Neither game was very good defensively for us. It's a common misnomer among a lot of Devils fans that our defense is really good because we allow the least amount of shots in the league. In reality, the 30 shots a night Schneider faced in Vancouver are probably safer than the 20 shots he faced last night.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
From what I could see, Marty looked bad on the 3rd goal...everything else I didn't get a real look because I was immediately disgusted by the turnovers.

Marty plays like **** in Vancouver, so I don't know how they'll approach this. Edmonton is another fast team, oh goodie.

guyincognito

Mar 21, 2007
The 3rd goals in both games were very similiar, uncovered player coming in and sniping. Dunno what you're looking at. Considering he's a thousand years old and coming in cold he had a pretty decent game. Wasn't like they had 4 scoring chances and he stopped 1 of them.

Same thing with Schneider. You guys are just too conditioned to people stopping uncontested shots because we can't score.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
From what I could see, Marty looked bad on the 3rd goal...everything else I didn't get a real look because I was immediately disgusted by the turnovers.

Marty plays like **** in Vancouver, so I don't know how they'll approach this. Edmonton is another fast team, oh goodie.

2nd goal was definitely the worst Beat him clean shortside I believe. Through a very tiny crack between him and the post.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Maybe we can put Marty and Cory in the net together.

Or have Marty be a PMD and Cory in the net :P

I would start Schneider in Vancouver and Marty in Edmonton. I'm sure Schneider really wants to start in Vancouver.

If Schnieder doesn't start in Vancouver it's a MAJOR slap in the face. I don't think even Pete's stubborn enough to not do that.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Loktionov was struggling with some of his zone entries though, kept losing the puck as he skated right into the defenders.

Maintaining zone presence was priority when the game started to open up too much, he was giving the minutes to players who could carry in/hold on better.
Another reason (other than some of Larsson's errors) that he kept upping Harrold's minutes, too.
At least from what I saw.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think Marty should start in Edmonton, Cory in Vancouver.

If Cory wins in Vancouver (Depending on how Marty did in Edmonton) then they should start him against Calgary.

Or go back to Marty for Calgary, but if he's not good in Calgary they can't go back to him for Winnipeg.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
2nd goal was definitely the worst Beat him clean shortside I believe. Through a very tiny crack between him and the post.

I was madder at the third one, it was also shortside and looked five-hole. He sort of got abused on that, although yeah the second one was bad too. At least he warmed up a little late, I'm not going to get on him too much for this game considering he basically hasn't played in a week and a half with extenuating circumstances.

kiwidevil

Another thing that bothers me is lack of clean looks we created offensively. Most plays were just lobs towards the net and hope for a bounce. I don't mind it as a desperation option, but at this stage it seems to be option 1 to 5, every time.

We lack the ability to set up one timers or cross ice passes. Although the first goal was nice.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I was madder at the third one, it was also shortside and looked five-hole. He sort of got abused on that, although yeah the second one was bad too. At least he warmed up a little late, I'm not going to get on him too much for this game considering he basically hasn't played in a week and a half with extenuating circumstances.

The fact that he usually looks like this for the first couple weeks is what gets me scared. If he looks like this for a few more games, then we have to go Cory. We may not have the luxury to be able to afford to keep starting him to work the rust off.

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
I've given Pete hell for benching Fayne in favour of Volchenkov as much as anyone. But taking a step back and looking at it, this idea that Stevens is whispering into Deboer's ear about this might hold some weight. The first year Deboer took over, Fayne played in all 82 games that season and all post-season games. Exit Robinson, and enter Stevens. Next year, Fayne is scratched in 17 of 48 games and is off to a perfect start this year. I'm not saying it's entirely true, and Deboer ultimately holds the final say, but the idea does have some merit to it.

Bruins fan, here again.....I posted on page 1 of this thread about putting Ryder/Clowe on same line...2 Nflder's, 2 friends.. They might connect.

Anyway, I'm absolutely astounded Fayne is being scratched. When we were doing some trade rumours this past summer, as a Bruin fan, Fayne's name kept popping up. Yet we would look at games he missed and wondered why. Like you guys and you know a lot better than me or any other bruin fan, it's a mystery why he's a healthy scratch and happened several times last season!!

If he wanted to be traded and Management decided to let him go, what do you think Bruins or any other team would have to give up to get him??

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Bruins fan, here again.....I posted on page 1 of this thread about putting Ryder/Clowe on same line...2 Nflder's, 2 friends.. They might connect.

Anyway, I'm absolutely astounded Fayne is being scratched. When we were doing some trade rumours this past summer, as a Bruin fan, Fayne's name kept popping up. Yet we would look at games he missed and wondered why. Like you guys and you know a lot better than me or any other bruin fan, it's a mystery why he's a healthy scratch and happened several times last season!!

If he wanted to be traded and Management decided to let him go, what do you think Bruins or any other team would have to give up to get him??
I almost want him traded cause he deserves it. I don't know how bad the defense has to suck for our coach to put him back in.

I'm not sure what he'd be worth. The coach obviously has some kind of problem with him.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
And yes, I do believe Stevens has been a negative influence on the defense.

Robinson was a big loss to this team.

guyincognito

Mar 21, 2007
5 hole is going to be a clean goal this year. It is what it is. It'll be there on uncovered shots. Some of you guys are too young to remember that this is a possibility. That goal Trouba scored on opening night, from way outside looked like something out of the early 90's. No one used to give that goal up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->