GDT: Devils vs. Hurricanes - 3:00 PM MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I can't wait to see what Bratt and Hischier become in 2-3 years

Zacha settling nicely into the 3C type role. Great defensively and on the PK and is showing some flashes of offense. Good to see the slight uptick in points

Depends on what the Devils put around them and how they are used. All in the hands of Shero and Hynes.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
9AD5BA6E-4657-40E6-84ED-E4900E0EC38F.jpeg

We had no right to win this game. Any other devil goaltender would get unsolicited praise for their performance. The kk bias is real. See the response after the first goal.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
oh god if it was blackwood today, the pages of this thread would be stuck together

I mean I’d be more excited if Blackwood played like this than Kinkaid. He has the ability still. He shows it way more often than Cory and I think if he was in not such a mess of a team system landscape would bring out his best. And that’s not Vezina level goaltending just average to slightly above average.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's not that there's bias against KK it's that nobody cares the way they would if it was Blackwood cause he's not part of the future.

Reactions: Bleedred

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
No, that's not.

Hmm ok it sounds like there is a different weight or importance put on blackwoods similar performances because he is the future. Or Schneider for nostalgic reasons. I would consider that bias, not harmful or anything.

Reactions: RSeen

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Hmm ok it sounds like there is a different weight or importance put on blackwoods similar performances because he is the future. Or Schneider for nostalgic reasons. I would consider that bias, not harmful or anything.

I don't care for Schneider's performance much either because I fully believe he is done and a good performance or two won't convince me he will become starting caliber again.

Blackwood on the other hand has the potential to be our #1 goalie for the next 10 years. He has all the physical tools and size to get there. So yes, people are more excited when Blackwood has an exceptional game as his play can impact our team's success more than any player on our roster other than maybe Hall.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
I don't care for Schneider's performance much either because I fully believe he is done and a good performance or two won't convince me he will become starting caliber again.

Blackwood on the other hand has the potential to be our #1 goalie for the next 10 years. He has all the physical tools and size to get there. So yes, people are more excited when Blackwood has an exceptional game as his play can impact our team's success more than any player on our roster.

Ok we agree on that. Whether or not it’s bias who cares. I still think Keith has a future here in that he’s shown 10x as many solid performances as Cory since 12/27/17 and might give a hometown discount. We aren’t going to get goalies who perform better results for less.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Blackwood on the other hand has the potential to be our #1 goalie for the next 10 years. He has all the physical tools and size to get there. So yes, people are more excited when Blackwood has an exceptional game as his play can impact our team's success more than any player on our roster other than maybe Hall.
Honestly, there's a lot of ''Eat crow'' here after one good game from pretty much any player that is otherwise not good. Rooney scores a goal? ''He's really not that bad''. Cory (for the first time in almost a year) has a good game? ''He's here next year, no way he's gone after this year. He could still be good again''.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ok we agree on that. Whether or not it’s bias who cares. I still think Keith has a future here in that he’s shown 10x as many solid performances as Cory since 12/27/17 and might give a hometown discount. We aren’t going to get goalies who perform better results for less.
I'd accept Keith back ONLY if Cory isn't here next year. Which I still think he might not be. They'll probably give him a decent look just to be sure. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts next game, but I also think it will be Keith again.

Keith might not be that much better than Cory, but from everything I've seen over the last 13 and a bit months, Keith is the better goaltender of the two. I think Cory is shot, which I've said enough in the goalie thread. I do think he'll win a game this year and have another couple good games like he did against the Islanders, but not more often than he doesn't.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Plus, Kinkaid's play is like half the reason we're 30th in the league right now. So he stole a meaningless afternoon game against Carolina, who cares?

Yeah that’s not true.

Like how can you say that when there is an 0-6-2 goalie with a 4+ gaa and .860 save % on this team? Oh yeah, KK bias.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
I'd accept Keith back ONLY if Cory isn't here next year. Which I still think he might not be. They'll probably give him a decent look just to be sure. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts next game, but I also think it will be Keith again.

Keith might not be that much better than Cory, but from everything I've seen over the last 13 and a bit months, Keith is the better goaltender of the two. I think Cory is shot, which I've said enough in the goalie thread. I do think he'll win a game this year and have another couple good games like he did against the Islanders, but not more often than he doesn't.

No goalie is “not that much better” than Cory. Every goalie in the league is much better than Cory since 12/27/17.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
View attachment 185429

We had no right to win this game. Any other devil goaltender would get unsolicited praise for their performance. The kk bias is real. See the response after the first goal.
Honestly, I think because at least as of now, Blackwood has had fewer bad games than Kinkaid at the NHL level this year and as of recent. I think he'd likely have a few more bad performances if he played another 15 games (I don't see him as a .926% over a long term period) though. Not to mentione due to fewer poor games, Blackwood gets more of the benefit of the doubt for me, whereas Keith gets less and Cory gets absolutely none from me.

Regardless of that, Keith played a really good game today. He was completely screened on the first goal, like asses all up in his face screened, and no chance on the second goal at all. It shouldn't have happened if Gabriel wasn't a thing, or at least if Hynes using Gabriel with 4 minutes left in regulation wasn't an actual concept or possibility to happen.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No goalie is “not that much better” than Cory. Every goalie in the league is much better than Cory since 12/27/17.
By saying I'm not sure if Keith is that much better than Cory, I'm adding in Cory's last 100+ games of play and not just his last 25 or 30 games of play, which is Darren Pang era bad.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Yeah that’s not true.

Like how can you say that when there is an 0-6-2 goalie with a 4+ gaa and .860 save % on this team? Oh yeah, KK bias.
You're going to seriously point to Schneider when Kinkaid has played nearly 40 games with a sub-.900 sv%?

Listen, the team is terrible, but Kinkaid has been trash all year.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Plus, Kinkaid's play is like half the reason we're 30th in the league right now. So he stole a meaningless afternoon game against Carolina, who cares?

That's a bit harsh in my opinion. He's on a 77 point pace in games he played in. That would have put us in 24th place last season.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Yeah that’s not true.

It was 2017 the last time Cory won a regular season game.

It's 2019 unless anyone wasn't sure.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Gabriel is going to be around at least until some guys get healthy and then he might even stick around after the deadline. He's bad but it doesn't matter, the Devils aren't trying that hard to be good. Let Bastian stay in the minors, he's 21 and he's having a good stretch down there. He and McLeod got a taste of the NHL, maybe call them back up when Binghamton's season is effectively over, but until then, they're young and not all that good yet, so there's no reason to have them here.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
That's a bit harsh in my opinion. He's on a 77 point pace in games he played in. That would have put us in 24th place last season.
Sure, but I mean, the wider point is he's been the guy and has woefully underdelivered. Call it 24th, 30th, either way it's nowhere near playoff contention. He's been objectively bad, irrespective of the team in front of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad