GDT: Devils vs. Flames - 19 more to go… 7:00 PM - MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
You're right, I didn't mean it that way.

What I meant was that when Mueller got injured both teams just wanted the pretty meaningless game to be over as did most fans of both teams.
Calgary was playing a meaningless game with 18 left and San Jose 5 points behind them?

I suppose that's the kind of winning attitude and culture the team's built there.

Keep on cowboying I guess.

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
The Lightning handled NJ with Hall and the rest of our NHL players without breaking a sweat. Those games were never close. Truly solid teams don't go down to the wire against the Binghamton Devils because they are playing the second game of a back to back.

What I'm saying is I don't think the Flames are as good as their record. I guess time will tell. If they win the whole thing feel free to print this out and put it on tshirts

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
any team can go on a hot streak or put it all together going into the postseason, you just need to make it. it's impossible to predict who today is real or not. if you have top tier talent and a hot goalie you can go far

Reactions: devilsblood

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think cheering against the team in a GDT is technically trolling so that’s correct.

I like the idea of not openly rooting against your own team, but in a season as bad as this one, a poster saying in a GDT after a tough loss that it might be for the best given the way the season has gone is not the same thing. Subtle difference, but it is there.

Reactions: Maine Fan

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
Stop. You are bending so far backwards for them. Flames played a bad game, and our AHL roster simply wasn’t as bad as the pregame hyperbole as per usual.
It can’t be overstated how absolutely **** the west is this year. Especially the Pacific. Some west teams are being propped up by easy schedules.

0-1-1 vs lightning
1-1 vs bruins
1-0 vs leafs
2-0 vs islanders
0-1-1 vs capitals
2-0 vs hurricanes
0-2 vs canadiens
1-1 vs penguins

7-6-2 vs east playoff teams

and a 17-6-4 record against the east as a whole so that's a 10-0-2 record against the rest of the conference

The 7-6-2 isn't great. Losing to the lightning should be expected tbh. The game we lost to them in a s/o was an outstanding game where we played really well and probably deserved a better fate. One of those ones where the opposing fans come onto your board and praise your teams efforts. Splitting with the Bruins and Pens isn't a bad thing i think. Dominated the Hurricanes and Isles. The biggest exclamation point is getting swept by the Habs but I kind of excuse it just due to how early in the season those games were. Before we figured it out.

Anyways idk why I'm rambling on here, you guys probably don't even care or am upset that I'm polluting your board with non-Devils talk.

I think the Flames are a good team, but my faith wavers. We could bow out in any round and I'd understand. We didn't look too great against you guys but we're also on the tail end of our third east coast road trip of the month and our third game in four nights so I give the boys some rope for fatigue factor. We haven't looked convincingly sharp like we did before the ASB for a while now and especially Gaudreau and Monahan have been ice cold. I hope they can get it together soon as we wrap up this final stretch heading into the playoffs.

Reactions: MartyOwns

My3Sons

Sponsor
0-1-1 vs lightning
1-1 vs bruins
1-0 vs leafs
2-0 vs islanders
0-1-1 vs capitals
2-0 vs hurricanes
0-2 vs canadiens
1-1 vs penguins

and a 17-6-4 record against the east as a whole so that's a 10-0-2 record against the rest of the conference

The 7-6-2 isn't great. Losing to the lightning should be expected tbh. The game we lost to them in a s/o was an outstanding game where we played really well and probably deserved a better fate. One of those ones where the opposing fans come onto your board and praise your teams efforts. Splitting with the Bruins and Pens isn't a bad thing i think. Dominated the Hurricanes and Isles. The biggest exclamation point is getting swept by the Habs but I kind of excuse it just due to how early in the season those games were. Before we figured it out.

Anyways idk why I'm rambling on here, you guys probably don't even care or am upset that I'm polluting your board with non-Devils talk.

I think the Flames are a good team, but my faith wavers. We could bow out in any round and I'd understand. We didn't look too great against you guys but we're also on the tail end of our third east coast road trip of the month and our third game in four nights so I give the boys some rope for fatigue factor. We haven't looked convincingly sharp like we did before the ASB for a while now and especially Gaudreau and Monahan have been ice cold. I hope they can get it together soon as we wrap up this final stretch heading into the playoffs.

Flames look to me like a team that could have used a bigger shot in the arm than what they did at the TDL. Send a message to the locker room to rally the troops in what is a very good season so far. Teams afraid to make the effort to win this season strikes me as odd.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

So a losing record against east playoff teams, which was exactly what I said about their non-impressive record against "all-in" eastern playoff teams even as the top-ranked western team.

So thank you for agreeing with me, as opposed to that other Flames fan who tried to whitewash what I said & called my post "extreme" & "over-the-top". Literal facts cant really be "over-the-top". :nod:

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Flames look to me like a team that could have used a bigger shot in the arm than what they did at the TDL.

The Flames may well be a very good team, but I think it's difficult to tell given the 2018-2019 Western dumpster fire. It wouldnt shock me if the Flames would be something like the #4 seed in the east rather than the #1 seed. that said, I also look at the West and dont understand why Nashville isnt the #1 seed by eleventy-billion points.

Reactions: My3Sons

cheechoo

Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
Flames look to me like a team that could have used a bigger shot in the arm than what they did at the TDL. Send a message to the locker room to rally the troops in what is a very good season so far. Teams afraid to make the effort to win this season strikes me as odd.

BT is probably as far from afraid as you can get in terms of GM'ing. He's already been apart of numerous blockbuster trades since he took over (receiving Hamilton, Hamonic and then this past summer trading Dougie and Ferland for Lindholm and Hanifin). The thing is, the trade deadline sucks because the market is usually oversaturated with buyers which drives up prices. BT loves to deal in the summer because sometimes you can stealth pry a player away and then when the trade call announced it's one of those "we would have payed way more, we didn't even know he was available" from an anonymous GM.

He was apparently in on Stone (but didn't want to part with Valimaki). Also in on Zucker (and was "white-hot" due to the deal not being sent in on time or something), also rumblings surrounding Zuccarello, Hayes, Simmonds and Edler. He's very diligent and is the type to keep his finger on all pulses just incase. It just didn't happen for us this TDL, but one positive to be taken from this is that we now are leading the pack of WC contenders when it comes to assets and can potentially chase a big fish come draft day. I've always felt that Hall would come home one day like Tavares :innocent:.

Anyways our team is still quite young asides from Gio. Johnny is like the old man at 25. Janko, Monahan and Lindholm are 24, Bennett, Hanifin and Andersson are 22, Chucky and Kylington are 21, Valimaki and Dube are 20. Going all in right now would be risky, especially when we don't really have the cap to splurge on a big fish as Tkachuk and Bennett are up for raises this summer and we have some annoying contracts on the book that won't be up for another year.

I'm rambling at this point. Obviously it'll look like a gigantic blunder if we bail out in round 1 this year, but our young guys could use the experience anyways. Who knows maybe we go on a magical run. I think 2020 is the year that we become serious contenders anyways.

Also James Neal is a wildcard anyways. He's been shooting unsustainably low percentages since he's put on the Flaming C. If he re-discovers how to put the puck in the net he could be viewed as a TDL acquisition himself.

Last edited:

cheechoo

Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
So a losing record against east playoff teams, which was exactly what I said about their non-impressive record against "all-in" eastern playoff teams even as the top-ranked western team.

So thank you for agreeing with me, as opposed to that other Flames fan who tried to whitewash what I said & called my post "extreme" & "over-the-top". Literal facts cant really be "over-the-top". :nod:

Yeah and I agreed it wasn't great lmao. I'll take a tanked record against the Canadians to verify this point. Splitting nearly all the other games against the big fish shouldn't really be viewed as a bad thing and I'm pretty sure it's actually quite customary of most great teams to have so-so records against the top teams and then to just obliterate all non-contenders. And I think I can speak on all Flames fans behalf when I say we would be ecstatic to have to play a scary Eastern team in the playoffs. We were never supposed to be here. I'm just enjoying the ride while it lasts.

Last edited:
Reactions: BenedictGomez

My3Sons

Sponsor
BT is probably as far from afraid as you can get in terms of GM'ing. He's already been apart of numerous blockbuster trades since he took over (receiving Hamilton, Hamonic and then this past summer trading Dougie and Ferland for Lindholm and Hanifin). The thing is, the trade deadline sucks because the market is usually oversaturated with buyers which drives up prices. BT loves to deal in the summer because sometimes you can stealth pry a player away and then when the trade call announced it's one of those "we would have payed way more, we didn't even know he was available" from an anonymous GM.

He was apparently in on Stone (but didn't want to part with Valimaki). Also in on Zucker (and was "white-hot" due to the deal not being sent in on time or something), also rumblings surrounding Zuccarello, Hayes, Simmonds and Edler. He's very diligent and is the type to keep his finger on all pulses just incase. It just didn't happen for us this TDL, but one positive to be taken from this is that we now are leading the pack of WC contenders when it comes to assets and can potentially chase a big fish come draft day. I've always felt that Hall would come home one day like Tavares :innocent:.

Anyways our team is still quite young asides from Gio. Johnny is like the old man at 25. Janko, Monahan and Lindholm are 24, Bennett, Hanifin and Andersson are 22, Chucky and Kylington are 21, Valimaki and Dube are 20. Going all in right now would be risky, especially when we don't really have the cap to splurge on a big fish as Tkachuk and Bennett are up for raises this summer and we have some annoying contracts on the book that won't be up for another year.

I'm rambling at this point. Obviously it'll look like a gigantic blunder if we bail out in round 1 this year, but our young guys could use the experience anyways. Who knows maybe we go on a magical run. I think 2020 is the year that we become serious contenders anyways.

Also James Neal is a wildcard anyways. He's been shooting unsustainably low percentages since he's put on the Flaming C. If he re-discovers how to put the puck in the net he could be viewed as a TDL acquisition himself.

A team doesn't have to go bananas. Just close a deal for a solid vet and release a positive spin piece to the press. CAL should have sucked it up and dealt its first for someone. The cap means that once a team starts to crest it's hard for things to get better. Maybe you get lucky with a low first or lower round pick having a big early ELC impact but that's the exception. CAL has a great team and good young talent. The cap won't be doing CAL many favors the next couple of years as a decision will have to be made on Bennett and Tkachuk needs a new deal that will probably be very pricey.

cheechoo

Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
A team doesn't have to go bananas. Just close a deal for a solid vet and release a positive spin piece to the press. CAL should have sucked it up and dealt its first for someone. The cap means that once a team starts to crest it's hard for things to get better. Maybe you get lucky with a low first or lower round pick having a big early ELC impact but that's the exception. CAL has a great team and good young talent. The cap won't be doing CAL many favors the next couple of years as a decision will have to be made on Bennett and Tkachuk needs a new deal that will probably be very pricey.

No decisions. Michael Stone and Frolik will probably be gone come the draft.

Trading the first just to trade it seems like a pretty shortsided panic move, and without a 2nd either it made structuring a deal even more difficult. Brad said he wasn't down to trade the first unless a player with term was coming back so that rules out Hayes and Zuccarello. Stone was too pricey and Simmonds didn't waive.

Pretend we picked up super mega awesome pure goal scorer James Neal at the TDL (hehe)

My3Sons

Sponsor
No decisions. Probably Michael Stone and Frolik are gone at the draft.

Trading the first just to trade it seems like a pretty shortsided panic move, and without a 2nd either it made structuring a deal even more difficult. Brad said he wasn't down to trade the first unless a player with term was coming back so that rules out Hayes and Zuccarello. Stone was too pricey and Simmonds didn't waive.

Pretend we picked up super mega awesome pure goal James Neal at the TDL (hehe)

Best of luck to CAL this postseason. I am excited to watch the West unfold in the post season.

Reactions: cheechoo

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Best of luck to CAL this postseason. I am excited to watch the West unfold in the post season.

Yeah, they are one of those teams I wouldn't mind seeing make a run. I still feel like they got hosed in game 6 in 2004. Part of the reason I'm still bitter about Tampas success.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think Calgary is good, but the Sharks should be in first in that division, but Martin Jones is the worst starter on a playoff team in the entire NHL. Mike Smith now has a higher save percentage than Mediocre Martin Jones. That's pathetic.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think Calgary is good, but the Sharks should be in first in that division, but Martin Jones is the worst starter on a playoff team in the entire NHL. Mike Smith now has a higher save percentage than Mediocre Martin Jones. That's pathetic.

Jones is just saving it for the playoffs.:sarcasm:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yeah, they are one of those teams I wouldn't mind seeing make a run. I still feel like they got hosed in game 6 in 2004. Part of the reason I'm still bitter about Tampas success.
Given they have a jersey boy leading the charge, Calgary should be our de facto team out west.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Given they have a jersey boy leading the charge, Calgary should be our de facto team out west.
He's from Flyer country and probably grew up a Flyers fan.

Anybody but Vegas in the West for me, after the Sharks. Vegas should be handled by the Sharks in round one, but Fleury will probably make Jones look like an amateur for the second year in a row in the playoffs.

Jones is the either the worst or second worst starting goalie on any playoff team this year, depending on who Calgary uses. Maybe he's the third worst if Carolina makes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad