GDT: Devils vs Canucks - 1:00 PM - MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
That kind of became a reoccurring issue with Kovalchuk on the PP.

It was like clock work, get it to Elias on the right wall, up to the point, over to Kovy on the left for the one timer.

It still led to one of the prettiest PP goals I can remember to date but it was way too predictable and readable at times no matter how often his shot was able to get through.

Every team does this though. Washington's PP runs through Ovy etc.

And that video you posted was actually the perfect way to get it to the trigger man, kovy was wideeee open. What the devils are doing is forcing plays to hall which won't work.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
do you see any weaknesses? Obviously he's very strong down low but he was making saves on high shots too. Maybe his rebound control can be better.
I specifically recall one shot from the circle on Macs right side where an uncovered Vancouver player was flying in on his left side and he wisely kicked kicked it in to the corner away from the streaking Canucks player and where there were several Devils players waiting for it.

I remember being impressed of the awareness at the time.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Canucks broadcast literally trashing our arena and the area of the town it's in right now. How the location of the arena "makes it tough to get pumped up about playing there".

Sour grapes, sore losers that got whitewashed today.

How many Cups have Vanc won?

The Rock is a great arena and we know that this part of Newark is fine.

The pregame scene on Edison Place is one of the best too.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Zacha has too much talent to only have 8 points... I am going to keep believing that he is going to breakout in a big way.
He's a physical beast, he's quick, has a great shot, is a great passer, is excellent defensively, etc. Everything about him screams good player, but he just hasn't been able to put his tools together to make it work. Hopefully he has finally figured it out.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
do you see any weaknesses? Obviously he's very strong down low but he was making saves on high shots too. Maybe his rebound control can be better.

I don't see anything obvious, but the big thing with goalies is consistency. Every goalie who suits up in the NHL (well, except Cory I guess) is capable of being good for a stretch of games. We still need to see how Blackwood responds to adversity. If he has a bad game does it linger, or does he shake it off? Are there tendencies shooters can key on? It's an extremely small sample size, so trying to draw any conclusions is premature. Still, it's nice to see actual good goaltending again. It would be fantastic if Blackwood can at least provide some level of consistency there moving forward.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Had to go over to the Vancouver board when I saw someone shitting on Zacha for being a 2015 draft pick when Juolevi is 2016 with 0 games

Not to mention he f***ing scored on them today and theyre claiming he isnt NHL calibur lol

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Sour grapes, sore losers that got whitewashed today.

How many Cups have Vanc won?

The Rock is a great arena and we know that this part of Newark is fine.

The pregame scene on Edison Place is one of the best too.
Yeah, sorry we didn't try and burn Newark to the ground after losing in 2012.

Maybe they'd have more respect for us if that were the case.

Instead our terrible fanbase showed up to that crap arena in a dirt area of town to welcome the team home and thank them for a valiant effort. What losers.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Had to go over to the Vancouver board when I saw someone ****ting on Zacha for being a 2015 draft pick when Juolevi is 2016 with 0 games

Not to mention he ****ing scored on them today and theyre claiming he isnt NHL calibur lol

Seems like from their broadcasters to their fans on HF, not a lot of smarts.

Didn't they riot after losing to Boston?

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
The Prudential Center isn't in a good area, but it's a nice building. I'm confused, why the canuck announcers are trashing the building?

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Every team does this though. Washington's PP runs through Ovy etc.

And that video you posted was actually the perfect way to get it to the trigger man, kovy was wideeee open. What the devils are doing is forcing plays to hall which won't work.

When a top quality player is on the ice during a PP it is tough not to want to center the play around them which is certainly valid. It becomes a problem though when things are becoming too forced, as you mentioned, instead of letting the play naturally flow. That sometimes is why PPs struggle. Variety is needed especially when that top quality player is on the ice to keep the other team on their heels.

Pierre’s reaction and his reaction to Oates reaction says plenty about that play. Could not have drew it up to have worked out better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad