GDT: Devils vs. Canadiens - Thanksgiving Edition - 7:30 PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Even though we gave up a ton of shots and blackwoods save % looks nice he is really starting to concern me. He needs to find consistency in his game. Which is going to be really tough giving this teams play and his age. Teams are picking on his glove side when he drops down.

feel like this board is falling in love with a goalie who might be another fringe starter and our rose colored glasses won’t get past his December/January last year.

since his first 10 appearances he is:

13-14-1
3.00 GAA
.903 save %

Needs to be better than that.

not sure i thought he played really well.. i know hockey but admit i am not a goalie guy... maybe some of you former goalies can chime in here.. but would seem to me if the game is played in your zone all night and you are crouched and ready it will negatively effect you in some way.. he let a soft goal or two in last night but made 45 saves.

Reactions: My3Sons

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
not sure i thought he played really well.. i know hockey but admit i am not a goalie guy... maybe some of you former goalies can chime in here.. but would seem to me if the game is played in your zone all night and you are crouched and ready it will negatively effect you in some way.. he let a soft goal or two in last night but made 45 saves.

the habs board thoughT he was their best player last night. It’s a perception issue. Thought he had a below average game along with price.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Goose with 7 points in 12 games since getting sat.
He was producing fairly well early in the season, but I think he really committed to playing a more complete game after his benching. Bunch of beauty dishes last night, which I thought was more his M.O., but he had been shooting a bunch in games prior.

After being very concerned early in the season I'm very impressed at how quickly he has adapted.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
We're not at a point where we should crap on a 45 save win by our goaltender.

Was there a goal our two he might want back? Sure. But for the amount of time we spent pinned in our zone, I thought he played fine and, most importantly, gave the team a chance to win while being outshot 1.4:1

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
He had a solid game.

But who thinks he is garbage?
Read the habs post game thread. I don’t agree with their assessment but I do think our perception is skewed because we’ve had nearly 4 seasons of below average goaltending. And we’ve also had by far the worst goalie in the league since 2018.

as for the game, If he allowed one less soft goal I would have said it was a solid game. If price wasn’t equally as bad then we might have lost.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I think the perception issue with the rest of the boards is because Blackwood is still young and inconsistent. If they don't see him on a regular basis it's hit or miss whether they see a good game or a bad game and form their opinions accordingly.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I am failing to see why anyone should take Habs fans opinions seriously?

And if Blackwood was so bad, Price was that much worse. Maybe they should spend more time worrying about how their high paid goalie let up five to the lowly Devils?

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
We're not at a point where we should crap on a 45 save win by our goaltender.

Was there a goal our two he might want back? Sure. But for the amount of time we spent pinned in our zone, I thought he played fine and, most importantly, gave the team a chance to win while being outshot 1.4:1
This x1000. Just for kicks I looked up the Devils CF% in games Blackwood has started that the Devils have got points in:

Edmonton - L (SO) 53.9
NYR - W 49.5
Vancouver - W 40.4
Flyers - L (SO) 48.0
Carolina - W 48.2
Jets - W 50
Vancouver - W 43.5
Pittsburgh - W 32.2
MTL - W 51.8
MTL - W 36

Devils skaters are not exactly controlling play in front of Blackwood.

Reactions: GameSeven

ChicksDigTheTrap

Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I am failing to see why anyone should take Habs fans opinions seriously?

And if Blackwood was so bad, Price was that much worse. Maybe they should spend more time worrying about how their high paid goalie let up five to the lowly Devils?
The Devils goalie that has a $697,500 cap hit clearly outplays their $10.5 million cap hit goalie and they are laughing at Blackwood? I think the joke is on them for the next 6 years or for how ever long Price is signed for.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
You’re all just proving my point... they are incredibly tough on price. We are so so so lenient on such a key aspect of our team. Blackwood has been trending down since his first 10 appearances in the nhl and his weaknesses are being exposed. But it’s cool we have domingue. The goaltending situation is neck and neck with hynes in terms of issues.

The Devils goalie that has a $697,500 cap hit clearly outplays their $10.5 million cap hit goalie and they are laughing at Blackwood? I think the joke is on them for the next 6 years or for how ever long Price is signed for.

Since when has this team been concerned about how much the goalie is being paid in front of them compared to the value of the team? And if you watched that game and thought Blackwood clearly outplayed price I don’t know what to tell you. How many odd man rushes did the devils have compared to the habs? Yes I know Montreal pinned nj in their zone most of the game but neither goalie was good.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
You’re all just proving my point... they are incredibly tough on price. We are so so so lenient on such a key aspect of our team. Blackwood has been trending down since his first 10 appearances in the nhl and his weaknesses are being exposed. But it’s cool we have domingue. The goaltending situation is neck and neck with hynes in terms of issues.

Since when has this team been concerned about how much the goalie is being paid in front of them compared to the value of the team? And if you watched that game and thought Blackwood clearly outplayed price I don’t know what to tell you. How many odd man rushes did the devils have compared to the habs? Yes I know Montreal pinned nj in their zone most of the game but neither goalie was good.

You are being overly negative. Was he trending down on the nights he got shutouts? As far as I can tell from comments on here his weaknesses are limited to good shots just under the crossbar on his glove hand. I’m not a goalie coach but I’ve seen him make enough good saves to think a good coach can work with him on that issue. Is he inconsistent? Absolutely. Has he been asked to carry a heavy load on a sinking ship? I think so. Goalies I have heard do not develop in a linear fashion and take longer to develop than other positions. He’s below NHL average right now and was well below par to start the season. He’s much better now than he was then. I think the jury will be out on him for a while and grading him on the same curve as Price is unrealistic. I don’t think anyone is saying he’s a finished product but you seem to be arguing that. Check back when he’s 25.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
You are being overly negative. Was he trending down on the nights he got shutouts? As far as I can tell from comments on here his weaknesses are limited to good shots just under the crossbar on his glove hand. I’m not a goalie coach but I’ve seen him make enough good saves to think a good coach can work with him on that issue. Is he inconsistent? Absolutely. Has he been asked to carry a heavy load on a sinking ship? I think so. Goalies I have heard do not develop in a linear fashion and take longer to develop than other positions. He’s below NHL average right now and was well below par to start the season. He’s much better now than he was then. I think the jury will be out on him for a while and grading him on the same curve as Price is unrealistic. I don’t think anyone is saying he’s a finished product but you seem to be arguing that. Check back when he’s 25.

agree with most of your points. I wouldn’t say I’m overly negative I’m just a little harder than most on here. I think his overall glove hand is poor, below and over the shoulder. When he drops down he doesn’t have the reflexes to cover those holes and is big enough to have them exposed. He’s such a key part of this since this team needs stellar goaltending to compete with this coaching staff. No one can predict how goalies develop and that is a huge part of my concern. I don’t think this is a great environment for a developing goalie like Blackwood. It reminds me of domingue in Arizona and blackwoods stats are more in line with him than any elite goalie. Not sure there is much the devils can do at this point because they put an unreasonable amount of trust in the worst goalie in the league who has looked very much so for the majority of 2 calendar years.

ChicksDigTheTrap

Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country

What does that mean?

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
What does that mean?

tbh I don’t know. I type on my iPad and it just misses letters sometimes and auto corrects. Oh well that was nonsense anyway. But what’s I meant to say is since when has this board been concerned with what a goalie is paid compared to his on ice performane? We had a 6.5 million dollar detriment yet we decided to rip on a goalie making more than league minimum. I don’t care what price is paid compared to blackwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->