GDT: Devils vs. Canadiens - 7:00 PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
and if the Florida or Vegas game was 5 minutes longer, maybe we would have tied it

what is the point of posting nonsense like that, exactly?

its a valid point.

just like your take on the fla or vegas games....

this team is hard to figure out.... we have hall tho. and maroon is doing his thing. travis is back. this team should make the postseason.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
its a valid point.

just like your take on the fla or vegas games....

this team is hard to figure out.... we have hall tho. and maroon is doing his thing. travis is back. this team should make the postseason.

you can play the "what if" game for literally every outcome of every game. Its pointless.

Reactions: Darkauron

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
you can play the "what if" game for literally every outcome of every game. Its pointless.

you played it too....

when it comes down to it we are all on the same page.

we all want this team to win and we all want a chance to go on a run.

opinions will clash. thats life. getting over 'the clash' that is the key. LGD!!!

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't at all feel we were close to blowing the game last night.

That last goal in the last minute was kind of fluky too.

One of the biggest problems was the crappy LoveGreeneJoy pairing in the last few minutes. Hynes BETTER not do that in a game that we are only up by one or two goals.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I don't at all feel we were close to blowing the game last night.

That last goal in the last minute was kind of fluky too.

One of the biggest problems was the crappy LoveGreeneJoy pairing in the last few minutes. Hynes BETTER not do that in a game that we are only up by one or two goals.
No, but he DOES seem to get quite a few fluky goals scored against him for some reason.

BTW, haven't been on a lot lately, but (not to re-open a can of worms) I think I disagree with your analysis of Corey's game against Vegas. The 2nd goal (I think) was a perfectly placed shot through a heavy screen. It was savable, but to me, savable doesn't mean it was a soft goal. It's two different things to me. I agree that he should have had the trickler though.

What I *DO* fault him for is his puck play. I believe there were 2 goals scored where Corey stopped the puck behind the net, and they weren't able to clear the zone. In fact, I tried to keep a mental note, and in the 1st, Corey played the puck behind the net 5 times, and NOT A SINGLE ONE resulted in a clear. That's where Kinky is better, even with his wild gaffs every now and then.

On a side note, I have a feeling that when we get into a slide, it's cause our D panics more. It's just anecdotal, but it feels to me like the D tries to "step up" by playing more aggressive. They end up chasing the puck, coming out of position, and allowing close-in shots. Back in the beginning of the year, when we seemed more defensively sound, it felt like we were more patient. We would chase less, which ended up giving the other team a lot of possession time, but fewer high quality shots. I wonder if there's a way to prove/disprove that.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No, but he DOES seem to get quite a few fluky goals scored against him for some reason.

BTW, haven't been on a lot lately, but (not to re-open a can of worms) I think I disagree with your analysis of Corey's game against Vegas. The 2nd goal (I think) was a perfectly placed shot through a heavy screen. It was savable, but to me, savable doesn't mean it was a soft goal. It's two different things to me. I agree that he should have had the trickler though.

What I *DO* fault him for is his puck play. I believe there were 2 goals scored where Corey stopped the puck behind the net, and they weren't able to clear the zone. In fact, I tried to keep a mental note, and in the 1st, Corey played the puck behind the net 5 times, and NOT A SINGLE ONE resulted in a clear. That's where Kinky is better, even with his wild gaffs every now and then.

On a side note, I have a feeling that when we get into a slide, it's cause our D panics more. It's just anecdotal, but it feels to me like the D tries to "step up" by playing more aggressive. They end up chasing the puck, coming out of position, and allowing close-in shots. Back in the beginning of the year, when we seemed more defensively sound, it felt like we were more patient. We would chase less, which ended up giving the other team a lot of possession time, but fewer high quality shots. I wonder if there's a way to prove/disprove that.
Not EVERY stoppable goal/saveable goal is a terrible soft goal. I still say goal 2 was a stoppable goal, but between that one, the third goal against Vegas and the dead angler against the Panthers, that goal was certainly the most forgivable. Goal 3 against Vegas and goal 2 against the Panthers were atrocious, with the one against the Panthers possibly being the worst he's allowed/any goalie on our team has allowed all season long.

I don't like the screen excuse on that second Vegas goal though. From one angle it looked like a screen, but from the others it looks like he just missed it and it hit off his shoulder and went in. Kind of reminded me of Kinkaid's tedency of leaving too much short side exposed. If the screen is what caused him to get beat on that shot, I think he's not doing a good enough job at tracking the puck. There's a difference between a partial screen like that and one guy (or more) planted either with their ass in his face or tons of bodies blocking his view and I don't think that was the case on that goal.

One other thing that annoyed me about people defending screens (not you) is when last year he was beaten 3 different times from well out in one game and people were citing a screen caused by a random skater 30 feet out and just one guy and that was the reason for being beaten from downtown on three different occasions in the same night.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I don't like the screen excuse on that second Vegas goal though. From one angle it looked like a screen, but from the others it looks like he just missed it and it hit off his shoulder and went in.
If I remember correctly, the puck came across from behind a screen, at least that what I remember. I agree it was savable, but it was a hell of a shot placement. Didn't seem soft to me.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If I remember correctly, the puck came across from behind a screen, at least that what I remember. I agree it was savable, but it was a hell of a shot placement. Didn't seem soft to me.
I'm nor saying he never allowed goals like that before last year, but they weren't allowed with the same frequency.

I swear in 15-16, he didn't even allow 25 goals that year that I thought were stoppable goals of any kind. Whether just kind of stoppable ones like that one or really killer soft goals like goal 3 against Vegas and goal 2 against Florida. He allowed 122 goals that year and had some sparkling numbers. Even in 14-15, he allowed some really bad goals early on, especially in October and November. Then they went in very infrequently from December-April of that year. If he allowed 25-30 stoppable ones in 14-15 (he played 11 more games in 14-15 than he did in 15-16 since he missed a few weeks with injury in 15-16), then I bet 15-20 of them came in the first two months of the season that year.

njdevils19

Jan 11, 2007
Northern NJ
I don't really get that frustrated when a team lets a large lead leak out towards the end. It's a strange game when you are up four goals with 40 minutes left. It isn't something a young team knows how to handle. Especially with the tough stretch we just went through, I'm not sure they should dwell on it too much. I don't really see giving up the 2 in the 3rd as an indicator of an issue with the team as a whole. It's not the same as blowing close leads late in games, if that makes sense.

What is a concern is how some of the goals played out with individual players such as Moore on the 1st one and Severson later on(and I'm a big fan of Severson). That's where I would probably address it as a coach.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Honestly if I had gone to the game I probably would have left after the second period and I don't remember leaving early in a win before lol...partly to beat the storm (which was slower than I thought) but really nothing good/meaningful at all was going to happen at 6-2 going into the third period. It was either going to be a catastrophe, a near-catastrophe like last night or meh just run out the clock.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I never felt we were in trouble in this game. Maybe if the scoring had started earlier.

They were outplaying us a bit, which is the usual when a team is down 4 goals. I didn't like Hynes going back to the two rod knocks to ''Shut it down''. That led to us getting glued in our end for quite a bit in the 3rd period, but it was really only a couple of marathon shifts that it happened.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Even in the 1st I remember a couple times where we were pinned in. Not to the 3rd's extent, but we had our moments.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Even in the 1st I remember a couple times where we were pinned in. Not to the 3rd's extent, but we had our moments.
I didn't feel like they had many dangerous chance in the 1st. Maybe one or two. I think they only had 5 shots in total all period in the 1st.

I think the fact that the game ended with even shots was a product of score effects and a much smaller extent because of the rod knockers being reunited for the ''Shutdown'' in the 3rd period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->