GDT: Devils vs. Canadiens - 7:00 PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I still can't believe Grabner couldn't finish that glorious chance last night. Still pointless, that has to be frustrating. We need him to get hot on the west coast trip.

I wonder what kind of deal Maroon would be looking for? He's looked great and not even just the points. His net front presence and physicality is something we didn't have. He's not the kind of player you should give significant term to, but maybe a 3 year deal?
that backup goalie read it well, he got a piece of it w his glove

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
If we want a shot at the playoffs, Severson has to take his head out of his ass in the defensive zone. He's constantly out of position, leaving his guy wide open right in front of our net.

Someone needs to sit down with him and watch some tape until he get's it.

Severson is always looking to read the play, break it up, and head up the ice. He does this often with stepping in front of point shots and blocking them.

Obviously, that mindset is going to backfire sometimes. Last night was a bit rough, but he's been fine.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Severson is always looking to read the play, break it up, and head up the ice. He does this often with stepping in front of point shots and blocking them.

Obviously, that mindset is going to backfire sometimes. Last night was a bit rough, but he's been fine.

If we didn't score 6 goals, both those brain dead plays would've cost us the game.

I don't care how well he reads plays, when your guy is standing in the slot when you're at the top of the circles, you ain't reading shit. When your guy blows by you and you just leave him alone for a tap-in goal in the slot, you ain't reading shit.

99.9% of the goals scored when he's on the ice is his guy being left wide open in the slot/crease. That should be the area you have to protect no matter what. If a forward finds the sweat spot between our wingers covering the points and our d-man covering down low, it's a gamble you're willing to assume, but leaving guys wide open for tap-ins isn't a strategy applied by anyone.

Reactions: JK3

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
If we didn't score 6 goals, both those brain dead plays would've cost us the game.

I don't care how well he reads plays, when your guy is standing in the slot when you're at the top of the circles, you ain't reading ****. When your guy blows by you and you just leave him alone for a tap-in goal in the slot, you ain't reading ****.

99.9% of the goals scored when he's on the ice is his guy being left wide open in the slot/crease. That should be the area you have to protect no matter what. If a forward finds the sweat spot between our wingers covering the points and our d-man covering down low, it's a gamble you're willing to assume, but leaving guys wide open for tap-ins isn't a strategy applied by anyone.

Ewww...

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

I don't care how well he reads plays, when your guy is standing in the slot when you're at the top of the circles, you ain't reading ****. When your guy blows by you and you just leave him alone for a tap-in goal in the slot, you ain't reading ****.

First goal you're referencing happened because the puck hit off Hall's shin and went right to a Canadien on the far side. Otherwise, Severson was in the shooting lane ready to block the puck. It was an unlucky bounce more than anything.

The next goal was because the Devils forwards did a garbage job of slowing down the Canadiens rush. Severson was forced to deal with a forward coming in full speed who made a nice play.

He's not completely innocent on any one of those plays, but I would hardly place the full blame on him either.

Also, if you play way too passive and defensively *cough* Lovejoy *cough*, that's how you spend your entire shift in your own zone.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
First goal you're referencing happened because the puck hit off Hall's shin and went right to a Canadien on the far side. Otherwise, Severson was in the shooting lane ready to block the puck. It was an unlucky bounce more than anything.

The next goal was because the Devils forwards did a garbage job of slowing down the Canadiens rush. Severson was forced to deal with a forward coming in full speed who made a nice play.

He's not completely innocent on any one of those plays, but I would hardly place the full blame on him either.

Also, if you play way too passive and defensively *cough* Lovejoy *cough*, that's how you spend your entire shift in your own zone.

On the first goal, De La Rose was standing in the crease for a good 3 seconds before we even saw Severson in the picture and when we did see him, he should've cross checked Jacob in the back to prevent a sure goal. When you have a "odd man" situation down low, why are you trying to block a shot 15 feet away from your net?

On the second goal, it's a basic 2 on 2 and De La Rose just blew by Severson like he wasn't even there.

I'm not even talking about the Gallagher goal were he just stood in front of the net and tried to poke check the puck away with the weakest of efforts. True, it was Palmieri's man since they were playing man-to-man on a 4 on 4 but c'mon, when you see someone crashing the net like that, make some type of effort.

He plays the game wayyyyyy too passively for my liking and he's as soft as one of Greene's or Mottau's slapshot.

All I want to do is eat crow when talking about Severson but he keeps giving me reasons to question his defensive hockey IQ every time I see him out of position or not tying up his guy when going to the net.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
there's no understanding of context or most generously, a willful ignorance of the context of the score of last nights game

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
and if the Florida or Vegas game was 5 minutes longer, maybe we would have tied it

what is the point of posting nonsense like that, exactly?

That's a fair point. I agree with the Vegas game, we we're better for the majority of that one. It's all hypotheticals, but we really probably would have blown the Montreal game.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
no we probably wouldn't have. if the team was playing with any urgency whatsoever it would have been different.

Reactions: R8NJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad