GDT: Devils vs. Blue Jackets - 7:00 PM - MSG+2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I liked what I saw from McLeod tonight. Sucks he didn't score or get a point. He made some good plays and had some scoring chances, especially that one right off the cross bar which was actually a damn good shot.

He's a monster in the dot and is pretty solid defensively. If all he becomes is a faster more physical Zajac, that would be fine.

Yes, M. Cloud was looking like he belonged in the NHL tonight. He needs to keep playing games like he did tonight.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Maybe we played well in 3 on 3 tonight because there was a lot of AHL players and Kowalsky is very good with AHL players?:sarcasm:

Reactions: Maine Fan

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If we have to watch another shootout this year, well then we better win it.

It's torture having to watch one of those, only to lose it. That Nashville one back in December was the worst. It went on 7 rounds or something.

It's a little better when it's a quick knockout death like tonight, but it's still painful to watch one.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
So what's the verdict on Carrick after these bunch of games....?

To me, he seems to play like a very, super-poor, poverty stricken team's version of Zidlicky - downgraded.

He sees the net shots, tries to shoots a lot, a little bit shifty when he has the puck (in a good way), can create plays, ............but defensively average and makes some boneheaded decisions.

The up side, is he is young, maybe room to grow.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

To me, he seems to play like a very, super-poor, poverty stricken team's version of Zidlicky - downgraded.

He sees the net shots, tries to shoots a lot, a little bit shifty when he has the puck (in a good way), can create plays, ............but defensively average and makes some boneheaded decisions.

He's just whatever to me.

The upside is that he's better than Santini though. Is he better than Mueller? I'm not sure about that. Mueller isn't bad for a guy with limited skill.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
If we have to watch another shootout this year, well then we better win it.

It's torture having to watch one of those, only to lose it. That Nashville one back in December was the worst. It went on 7 rounds or something.

It's a little better when it's a quick knockout death like tonight, but it's still painful to watch one.

Hynes and company neeed to just randomize it some games. If we're talking about this stretcher-MASH unit season, get McLeod out there again, get Yak, or Carrick, Anderson. Make some random choices, maybe it is better than the strategic SO fail choices we've had forever....

Reactions: nugg and Bleedred

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
He's just whatever to me.

The upside is that he's better than Santini though. Is he better than Mueller? I'm not sure about that. Mueller isn't bad for a guy with limited skill.

I think Mueller is better, particularly if you factor in the size/fiestiness . But maybe that is personal taste. Mueller seems to get up in on the play very frequently and seems to have more control going into Ozone, so much that he ended up on that unfortunate 2 on 1 smash...

Reactions: Bleedred

Camille the Eel

In our own end he was calm, surprisingly well positioned and decisive with the puck. Skating it out and making a good first pass. These games are not much to judge on.

Amazing we played our best game against Columbus tonight since beating them in maybe early October 2017. First time in ages they haven’t pushed us around. We deserved to win this game. Bobrovsky saved them in the 3d period and OT.

What is wrong with Columbus? They looked lost, and both choking and disinterested at the same time.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

He is 24 and probably hasn’t had much career stability. He probably can improve at least somewhat but he’d benefit from a top notch defensive skills coach. He does look better with the puck than several of the NJ defenders even if he is prone to the odd risky pass in the d zone. I’d sign him to a one year deal in the offseason and see what he can do over a full year.

dzubrus8

Jun 15, 2014
I liked what I saw from McLeod tonight. Sucks he didn't score or get a point. He made some good plays and had some scoring chances, especially that one right off the cross bar which was actually a damn good shot.

He's a monster in the dot and is pretty solid defensively. If all he becomes is a faster more physical Zajac, that would be fine.

A faster more physical Zajac is an elite 2C. I wouldn't mind if he becomes that either

Reactions: MichaelJ

Camille the Eel

You still want guys to want to win. Watching young players compete, you can’t ask them to want to compete hard, hit, scrap in the corners, score goals . . . and throw the game. The two things don’t mix. (I watched the game with distinct mixed emotions - wanting that McLeod shot to go in, wanting the draft pick).

We dominated the 3d period.

The 1 point may have been a perfect result for our mixed goals. But the players can have only 1 goal and that’s to win.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
You still want guys to want to win. Watching young players compete, you can’t ask them to want to compete hard, hit, scrap in the corners, score goals . . . and throw the game. The two things don’t mix. (I watched the game with distinct mixed emotions - wanting that McLeod shot to go in, wanting the draft pick).

We dominated the 3d period.

The 1 point may have been a perfect result for our mixed goals. But the players can have only 1 goal and that’s to win.

I can’t imagine there is any locker room in any pro league where the coaches and players embrace tanking even if some of the fans and team management are ok with it.

My3Sons

Sponsor
'83-'84 Pittsburgh Penguins.

That was management's call. Maybe the coach was told who to play. I'm skeptical the players and coach thought losing on purpose was a good thing. They don't seem to view it like fans do. I was lucky enough to spend some summers as a teen ager around NHL players in the offseason and they saw the draft picks as someone coming to take their jobs. I can't imagine a coach thinks overseeing a dumpster fire is a good career move. Notice the Pens switched coaches when Mario arrived.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Blue Jackets have a fairly rough remaining schedule. Penguins, Penguins, Islanders, Bruins, Hurricanes, Bruins. Then the Western Canada trip. Then the Islanders again after they get back. They do get the Sabres, Rangers and Senators all in the last week of the season. Aside from those teams and the Oilers and Canucks on the road, it’s all either playoff teams or the teams they’re battling for like two with the Pens, and one each against the Hurricanes and Canadiens. Three more against the Bruins, Islanders and a game against the Predators on the road and the Flames on the road. They haven’t even played the Bruins yet this season I guess. Reminds of when Florida had to play all those games against Boston in the last month of the season last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad