Confirmed with Link: Devils trade 2nd and 4th rounders for Mirco Mueller and 5th rounder

Status
Not open for further replies.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Obviously it would cost a ton, but right now it's what we sorely need, so we have to consider spending for it.

If Mueller turns out to be another 3rd pairing D like Moore and Merrill, it's not very useful to us. I'm getting a bit excited to see what we got now though.

I think we need to wait 2 - 3 years before we know what we got in this deal.

The kid played 4 NHL games last year. There is no way he's fully baked next year. The Devils had weak defensive structure last year. If that doesn't change, the situations he'll face in NJ are likely more challenging than anything he saw in SJ. If he crushes it next year, then maybe we have a star on our hands. But, more likely, he'll struggle when facing tougher competition / when paired with a weaker partner. We'll need to see how he reacts - not just next year, but the year or two after.

People are right about how long a 2nd round pick is from contributing. Remember, Severson was a 2nd rounder in 2012, and Merrill was a 2nd rounder from 2010. We're now 5 - 7 years later, and we're still waiting on both to finish developing. But, while we do get to jump forward in time, we don't get to skip all of Mueller's development.

Last edited:

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
The TVR deal (just announced) makes this trade for Mueller look even more questionable.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
But Schlemko being taken from SJ makes this trade make a little more sense for why SJ might've driven a hard bargain here - they probably anticipated losing a D and told NJ that they'll have to pay extra to get one of their young D out of the minors.

Mueller is under 5 more years of team control whereas TVR has only 2 more years of team control.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
TVR is not very good.

If the point was a comparison of the trades...

Trevor van Riemsdyk - His most common partner was Brian Campbell. - He is about to turn 26 in July.

He was second on Chicago's defense in Points per 60
He was 1st in Goals For%
He was 2nd in Shots For%
He was 3rd in Corsi For%
He was 3rd in 5v5 Points
He was 5th in 5v5 TOI

That's a team with Keith, Seabtrook, Hjalmarsson, Oduya and Campbell

It really does make a 2nd and a 4th look like an over payment for Mueller.

Captain Lou

Apr 2, 2004
Plus TVR is a RHD, which is not really the side we need (as much) - and I would have to think Shero is going to contact Shattenkirk.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Seabrook and Oduya are both bad now, so having TvR be good relative to them is not a surprise.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Seabrook and Oduya are both bad now, so having TvR be good relative to them is not a surprise.

Maybe not the group it once was but that's still a pretty good unit.

And he led the team in 5v5 goals and was 3rd in assist - while playing the 5th most amount of time... I'd be pretty happy getting him for a 2nd.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Maybe not the group it once was but that's still a pretty good unit.

And he led the team in 5v5 goals and was 3rd in assist - while playing the 5th most amount of time... I'd be pretty happy getting him for a 2nd.

I mean, wow, 5 goals, huge. I'm just not a big believer in 5v5 points for defensemen, or points at all. They're meaningful in tiny doses. You probably need someone who can score from the defense. But it's something which the league values highly and which I do not.

It's not a good unit, not anymore. It sure has a lot of familiar names though.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
If the point was a comparison of the trades...

Trevor van Riemsdyk - His most common partner was Brian Campbell. - He is about to turn 26 in July.

He was second on Chicago's defense in Points per 60
He was 1st in Goals For%
He was 2nd in Shots For%
He was 3rd in Corsi For%
He was 3rd in 5v5 Points
He was 5th in 5v5 TOI

That's a team with Keith, Seabtrook, Hjalmarsson, Oduya and Campbell

It really does make a 2nd and a 4th look like an over payment for Mueller.

I mean,

1st 5v5 points
1st Goals For %
1st Shots For %
6th 5v5 TOI

Describes your boy John Moore. Relative stats don't provide any insight. The only real difference between our D and their D is that they have Duncan Keith. Hjalmarsson is still decent too.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I'm wondering if this was pre-arranged by Vegas, and was an extension of the draft-day deals. It's possible they just didn't want to announce a player flipped on the night of the draft.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I'm wondering if this was pre-arranged by Vegas, and was an extension of the draft-day deals. It's possible they just didn't want to announce a player flipped on the night of the draft.

100% this.

Call it, "operation avoiding bad optics" by the NHL.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
All the Knights got for Schmelko was a 5th Round pick.

Another point to ponder for those people who somehow feel getting nothing for Merrill is a disaster.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Schlemko to MTL for a 5th rounder.

I have no idea what constitutes value in a trade anymore. I mean, I thought you could get more than a 5th for a legit bottom-pairing puck mover.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
All the Knights got for Schmelko was a 5th Round pick.

Another point to ponder for those people who somehow feel getting nothing for Merrill is a disaster.

Merrill is better, younger and half the price of Schlemko.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
I mean,

1st 5v5 points
1st Goals For %
1st Shots For %
6th 5v5 TOI

Describes your boy John Moore. Relative stats don't provide any insight. The only real difference between our D and their D is that they have Duncan Keith. Hjalmarsson is still decent too.

enough with the advanced stats already.. I'm sort of tired of them.. exactly the same people that hate more are probably the ones vomiting up advanced stats all day.. no offense to those who like the advanced stats... i personally don't need advanced stats to make my judgement on a hockey player i watch, i make my opinion, i move forward.. i like john moore with no idea what his stats are ... the devils agreed .... i won't judge mueller trade based on what other players were traded for...

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
enough with the advanced stats already.. I'm sort of tired of them.. exactly the same people that hate more are probably the ones vomiting up advanced stats all day.. no offense to those who like the advanced stats... i personally don't need advanced stats to make my judgement on a hockey player i watch, i make my opinion, i move forward.. i like john moore with no idea what his stats are ... the devils agreed .... i won't judge mueller trade based on what other players were traded for...

This is exactly what advanced stats are for...probably the only thing they are good for....For people who are blind or refuse to clean their glasses.

Moore is one of the worst defenders in the entire league.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Good point, some of these 'deals' from Vegas could be the half a deal part that wasn't announced till now since it involved a drafted player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad