Post-Game Talk: Devils' team humiliation in Tampa

Status
Not open for further replies.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Helps him to do what? You think he is going to score more from a lower line with less TOI? His Defensive game is pretty good already so I am not really understanding what could be accomplished. Sending to Binghamton probably makes more sense than putting him on the 4th line....but again we've veered off into singling out Zacha...why aren't we discussing Johansson's lack of production or getting Zacha more complimentary players? Instead we say 6th overall needs to be punished, groomed, helped or what have you...the logic seems flawed. It seems more of a line problem than an individual problem to me?

Hmm...are you saying that you feel Zacha is playing up to his potential? Or, maybe a better question, do you feel Zacha is on an upward trajectory right now?

I don't think anyone expects a 21 year old to be a finished product. So, every young player should be focused on some amount of development work as part of their game. Where do you see Zacha developing right now?

Personally, I feel that Zacha is not physically assertive enough, and that he does not play enough of a north - south game (maybe that's saying the same thing?). I feel that having him play with other players who play a simpler, more physical game could bring that out of Zacha.

I also don't feel like players are moved down the line-up because they can't play D. So, saying Zacha's defensive game is pretty good, why would we move him down" seems odd?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
its all mental for Zacha. First few games, he clearly had the confidence. Then he got robbed a bunch of times and it was right back to where he was.

MNDevilsfan

Jan 9, 2015
St. Paul, MN
Zacha's defensive play and work on the PK has been solid, but the lack of offensive production (chances let alone points) is not encouraging. Not going to sit here and say the ship has completely sailed because he's still a young guy but I think you have to see some life to the offensive side of his game soon if you want to hold out hope that he can a top 6 forward.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
FWIW, from Cordell (HockeyBuzz.com - Todd Cordell - On a leaky defensive effort, Johansson's heavy lifting, and a top-9 change):

Jesper Bratt's return can't come soon enough for Marcus Johansson. The poor guy is doing a lot at 5v5 and simply not getting any help. I've only tracked three games thus far but Johansson leads the Devils in shot assists and shot contributions per game, not to mention his shot contribution percentage ranks highest on the team. He has been involved in better than 60% of the Devils shot attempts while on the ice. Compare that to his most frequent linemate, Pavel Zacha (22.5%), and it's clear who is doing the heavy lifting.

I think he said the games he tracked were the latest 3.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Reactions: MartyOwns

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Thiis where stats don't tell the real story. Anyone who watched MJ since the beginning of the season know it's not the case.

Heavy lifting, LOL, what an idiot

This guy has watched every game very closely, and is using numbers to record what happened - have you?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't agree with what the stats say, therefore stats don't tell the whole story.:sarcasm:

And by no means do I think MoJo has played up to his ability, but I trust him to eventually produce a lot more than I do Zacha.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If you actually watched the game you would see how little Cordell’s stats work in reality.

Nothing Nojo “created” was anything remotely dangerous. Shots wide. Shots into the crest. Plus a bunch of those “attempts” came from Zacha set ups he flubbed.

Shot attempts are meaningless if all of them are three feet wide of the net.

Reactions: AlexTheDevilsFan

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
One of the worst games I ever caught live. Bleed was on the phone for most of the game and I was screaming at Kucherov and a bunch of drunk TBL fans in our section.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
One of the worst games I ever caught live. Bleed was on the phone for most of the game and I was screaming at Kucherov and a bunch of drunk TBL fans in our section.
Watching the game live couldn't have been quite as bad as taking a 200 mile bike ride back home in shorts?:laugh:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I was actually surprised that a few people said the fourth goal against on Kinkaid was a stoppable one. Just after looking over the GDT. I didn't think he had much of a chance, but maybe he was a little slow in getting over.

I only thought goal 2 was a bad one. He didn't look good on goal 3, but I can't really nail him on that one, but he did look clueless on it. I only counted goal 2 against him. That was the only goal in the game that I thought any of the 3 goalies could have had.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
In terms of individual attempts, Dea has better per 60 #'s in both shots and corsi events then Mojo. Noesen is also better in Corsi, though less in shots.

Zacha is further down the list, but so is Nico, and Zajac. Of coarse these guys are centers so that we do need to consider that.

One Zacha trend that seems to continue is getting a low % of his attempts actually on net, and of coarse a really bad % of those attempts going in the net.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
didn’t we used to have a thread dedicated to these ridiculous advanced stats? i mean shot assists? honestly

edit- i may be thinking of the goalie thread

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah next we're going to be debating shot attempt assists. At some point we're just inventing stats to see things we're not seeing.

Reactions: MartyOwns

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yeah next we're going to be debating shot attempt assists. At some point we're just inventing stats to see things we're not seeing.
Well if people are going to say "Player X keeps setting up player Z, but Z never buries it" why not look to a stat which backs that up?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Hmm...are you saying that you feel Zacha is playing up to his potential? Or, maybe a better question, do you feel Zacha is on an upward trajectory right now?

I don't think anyone expects a 21 year old to be a finished product. So, every young player should be focused on some amount of development work as part of their game. Where do you see Zacha developing right now?

Personally, I feel that Zacha is not physically assertive enough, and that he does not play enough of a north - south game (maybe that's saying the same thing?). I feel that having him play with other players who play a simpler, more physical game could bring that out of Zacha.

I also don't feel like players are moved down the line-up because they can't play D. So, saying Zacha's defensive game is pretty good, why would we move him down" seems odd?
There is a lot here. And I am not ignoring your comments. I just didn't have a chance to get back to you but I will.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
If you actually watched the game you would see how little Cordell’s stats work in reality.

Nothing Nojo “created” was anything remotely dangerous. Shots wide. Shots into the crest. Plus a bunch of those “attempts” came from Zacha set ups he flubbed.

Shot attempts are meaningless if all of them are three feet wide of the net.

You mean not all shot attempts are created equal? Color me shocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad