Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
@TGfireandice: Devs' 2nd group lines: Cammalleri-Zajac-Jagr; Havlat-Elias-Zubrus; Clowe-Henrique-Ryder; Ruutu-Josefson-Brunner.

Hope these are the lines for the opener except switch Brunner and zubrus

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
And how do you make him stronger mentally, stash him in the press box and let him dwell on his mistakes for weeks at a time? He needs to be in games and learn how to have a short memory. When he ****s up, put him back out the next shift so he doesn't have time to think about it. Don't let him mope on the bench or humiliate him. Less second guessing, more playing hockey.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
@TGfireandice: Devs' 2nd group lines: Cammalleri-Zajac-Jagr; Havlat-Elias-Zubrus; Clowe-Henrique-Ryder; Ruutu-Josefson-Brunner.

Cammalleri-Zajac-Jagr
Havlat-Elias-Brunner
Clowe-Henrique-Ryder
Ruutu-Josefson/Gomez-Zubrus

Greene-Merrill
Gelinas-Larsson
Salvador/Kaberle-Zidlicky

This is my opening night lineup.

kevinchoi

Sep 22, 2014
Newark

These would be awesome lines! lets see how long they can last injury free!

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
would harrold clear waivers if kaberle sticks ?

I think if the team signs Kaberle, you stick Harrold on waivers and not think twice about whether he clears or not. If he clears, he's a good vet for Albany and could be called up if there's an injury. If he doesn't clear.... oh well. He's in a contract year anyway.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Yeah great, he's 21, that's nice and all but at the level he plays at now, he's inconsistent. The Devils made a mistake when they threw him into the NHL as early as he did, but he still makes these mistakes. He was great for most of the game but after the goal there were a few times he was caught running around in his own zone, or not communicating with Gelinas which man they were supposed to take.

His age doesn't correlate to on ice success right now, and to be honest, I think Larsson needs to be a little stronger mentally. To me, it seems like when he makes a mistake he's a little hard on himself and then the problems kind of compound themselves. Luckily last night, it was toward the end of the game so he didn't have a lot of time to devolve into something worse.

Every player in the world makes a bunch of mistakes every night. It is crazy that you guys expect perfection every night out of him.

kevinchoi

Sep 22, 2014
Newark
I think if the team signs Kaberle, you stick Harrold on waivers and not think twice about whether he clears or not. If he clears, he's a good vet for Albany and could be called up if there's an injury. If he doesn't clear.... oh well. He's in a contract year anyway.

Good point! only thing that id be worried aobut is how soft our d would be if kaberle sticks arround..not the meanest bunch on the blue line with kaberle, zidlicky, laarson, Gelinas, greene all dressing

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
And how do you make him stronger mentally, stash him in the press box and let him dwell on his mistakes for weeks at a time? He needs to be in games and learn how to have a short memory. When he ****s up, put him back out the next shift so he doesn't have time to think about it. Don't let him mope on the bench or humiliate him. Less second guessing, more playing hockey.

First of all, that's not how Larsson is being handled, at least recently. They let him play big minutes in Albany last year instead of having him sit in the press box. Second, it's the coaches job to make sure he puts the team in the best position to succeed, not just Adam Larsson. Third, Larsson's game seems to deteriorate once he makes a mistake, meaning it gets worse from there. Personally, I thought Larsson was great almost the entire game but when the goal was scored, it seems like he wants to make up for it immediately. I'm not saying it can't be fixed but that has to be on Larsson.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Every player in the world makes a bunch of mistakes every night. It is crazy that you guys expect perfection every night out of him.

You're putting words in my mouth.

I didn't say I expected mistake free hockey, or that I think he even deserves to be out of the line up, but I do think he got worse as the game went on. That's called having an opinion.

Deleted member 28548

Ryder was quoted the other day saying he got caught up in overthinking playing the teams system last season in favor of going with his offensive instincts during his cold stretches. I like your thoughts on this and agree you just have to throw Larsson out there after mental mistakes and keep the engine running.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Let's not play a game of semantics... Larsson will be 22 in 40 some-odd days, he has parts of 3 seasons and playoffs under his belt, he was a former #4 overall...

He is nowhere near the level he should be for his age and his draft status. That is the bottom line. Waiting for a former #4 overall to become just a serviceable/dependable top 4 dman at age 22 is not a good situation.

To come to any other conclusion than disappointment so far takes special rose colored glasses.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Let's not play a game of semantics... Larsson will be 22 in 40 some-odd days, he has parts of 3 seasons and playoffs under his belt, he was a former #4 overall...

He is nowhere near the level he should be for his age and his draft status. That is the bottom line. Waiting for a former #4 overall to become just a serviceable/dependable top 4 dman at age 22 is not a good situation.

To come to any other conclusion than disappointment so far takes special rose colored glasses.

I am just going to give up. Insane how much you expect from a young defenseman. Any one that is disappointed in Larsson have no idea what they were getting when we drafted him nor development time.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut

Damn, if Deboer really is planning on starting the season that way, I stand corrected. I don't really wish Ruutu would swap with either Ryder or Zubrus on the middle two lines, but that's a small complaint compared to the joy of not seeing Gionta or Bernier on the roster.

Also, going by those D lines, does this mean that Merrill was slated to be Greene's partner on the top pair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad