Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I agree, people who think his skating is below average surprise me, especially with how slow the rest of our team is.

It's not below average for the team by any means. It is for the league though, IMO. Doesn't mean it can't get better. I don't think he'll ever be above average though.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
He'll make his money on his play making and release, better skater than advertised, definitely improved from year 1

I don't think his skating is better than advertised, I think it pretty much came as advertised. It's easy to see how he slipped to the fourth round, but he makes up for it by being strong on the puck and having good hockey sense in the offensive zone. If Boucher had Josefson's skating ability he would have been a top 5 pick.

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
Right there that was negative to your point, he said we've made a lot of progress though it may not look like it. Skating may be the weakest part of his game cause the rest is very good and balanced.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
cut Komisarek tomorrow

sheesh he sucks.

I generally like to not make sweeping judgments after a single game, especially in preseason, but dear lord did he look bad. He had his man tied up on the JFast goal at least, but c'mon. A vet D should be in the lineup to slow things down and make calm, smart decisions. Dude was a wreck.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Right there that was negative to your point, he said we've made a lot of progress though it may not look like it. Skating may be the weakest part of his game cause the rest is very good and balanced.

I don't really care much about a players speed. It is one of the most overrated skills people look at when judging a player's abilities.

You can clearly see that speed is Boucher biggest weakness. I was just pointing out that Boucher clearly doesn't have above average speed. If he was above average skater and that was his biggest weakness he would be an NHL all star. His wrist shot is light years ahead of anything else he can do.

Let him play in the AHL. If the NHL team struggles to score or he just dominates the AHL you call him up in a month.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I generally like to not make sweeping judgments after a single game, especially in preseason, but dear lord did he look bad. He had his man tied up on the JFast goal at least, but c'mon. A vet D should be in the lineup to slow things down and make calm, smart decisions. Dude was a wreck.

Agreed he was a complete disaster and the one player I don't need to see anymore of. Cut him now because that was bad.

I was feeling tootoo for a bit but that was a terrible penalty he took in the 2nd. Can't be doing that crap when you are on a tryout.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
I don't really care much about a players speed. It is one of the most overrated skills people look at when judging a player's abilities.

You can clearly see that speed is Boucher biggest weakness. I was just pointing out that Boucher clearly doesn't have above average speed. If he was above average skater and that was his biggest weakness he would be an NHL all star. His wrist shot is light years ahead of anything else he can do.

Let him play in the AHL. If the NHL team struggles to score or he just dominates the AHL you call him up in a month.

What makes you feel he should definitely play some more in the AHL? I personally think, if he looks like he should earn a spot, than give it to him. There's still a ways to go this preseason, but I don't think he hurt his chances in the 1st game.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
What makes you feel he should definitely play some more in the AHL? I personally think, if he looks like he should earn a spot, than give it to him. There's still a ways to go this preseason, but I don't think he hurt his chances in the 1st game.

If he plays the rest of preseason like this it will be hard to deny him a spot on the team. Especially if it's that one line as chemistry is always a big deal.

He has to keep this level of play up though because he has a lot of guys with contracts ahead of him on the depth chart. We still don't know if Brunner has improved or not either which would out bouch back in the AHL for sure.

Other thing they won't give the kid 4 the line minutes. He is pure skill and of he can't crack our top 9 he is going to Albany and it would be the right call.

Still really early and lots of bodies still floating around but he made a strong first case for himself tonight.

schoenfeld

2 Way Contract
Dec 10, 2006
still maintain that it's a little bit early for boucher, a half or full season in the AHL would do him good.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
Whether he's ready or not, tonight was a decent indicator of what to expect from Boucher. We should be excited. He should be a top-sixer next year with a bunch of our misfit toys hitting FA.

While he's not the a great skater, he seems to be a pretty smart player. Have to get excited for our future a little bit after seeing him and Henrique play well together. Two great reids (see what I did there :) ) on Henrique's first goal, and Ryder's second.

takanoyama

Apr 4, 2013
I didn´t watch the game, but I read that Kaberle was solid. I was very sceptical about his chances to make the first team, but couldn´t he be good replacement for Salvador? Is Salvador´s position sure or not?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I didn´t watch the game, but I read that Kaberle was solid. I was very sceptical about his chances to make the first team, but couldn´t he be good replacement for Salvador? Is Salvador´s position sure or not?

Kaberle was okay, but not good enough to displace anybody ahead of him IMO. And barring Salvador getting injured, he's going to be a regular in the lineup, whether we like it or not.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So my take after watching the first game.

Severson isn't making the team out of camp.

He might not make the team out of camp but you definitely can't base that on last night...as I'm typing thisiI'm watching the encore performance on MSG....

Severson is a fundamentally better defenseman right now than any other dman we iced last night. And he just turned 20 last month. He knows where he is supposed to be, he is strong along the boards and has "make up" speed to cover mistakes.

He showed s bit of chippiness at various points and that is something that is lacking from our defense.

Severson is the complete package.

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Watch Severson 1 on 1 with Hagelin at 16:30 of the 3rd period.

After 3 years Larsson still can't handle speed coming down the wing like Severson did in this play...perfect positioning, stands up Hagelin, takes the puck away and sends it the other way. All in open ice.

Last edited:

devilsrock

Sep 14, 2005
Great Neck, NY
Watch Severson 1 on 1 with Hagelin at 16:30 of the 3rd period.

After 3 years Larsson still can't handle speed coming down the wing like Severson did in this play...perfect positioning, stands up Hagelin, takes the puck away and sends it the other way. All in open ice.

I thought he looked pretty good as we'll. Larson on the other hand looked nervous and unsure of himself at times.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Agreed he was a complete disaster and the one player I don't need to see anymore of. Cut him now because that was bad.

I was feeling tootoo for a bit but that was a terrible penalty he took in the 2nd. Can't be doing that crap when you are on a tryout.

The kid has a bit of a nasty streak. I like that. I'll take him over Bernier any day.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA

Kaberle's passing and vision is probably the best among any of our defensemen. He made a lob pass across the ice and two lines that was awesome last night.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I loved what I saw out of Severson but definitely feel as if he should spend most of the year in Albany. We have the luxury of not rushing him, let's perfect him.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I like Boucher a lot, but skating is definitely not one of his best attributes. He has a clunky stride and pumps his legs a lot, but doesn't get very far.

Yet he seems to have a way of getting a step on defenders.

He can read and react and that is why he can get that step and that is why a player like Josefson, who is clearly faster and a better skater always seems a step too late.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Boucher's game isn't about outskating someone. It's about reading the play and finding gaps in the defense to get a scoring opportunity. It seems like he has a knack for doing that and a very high hockey IQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad