Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Jesper Boqvist to 3yr ELC

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
This is very pleasing.

For your viewing pleasure:

Two things immediately come to mind watching these clips:

-His zone of control is ridiculous. Whether the puck is in his skates or he's extending out to his maximum reach, he's able to control the puck and make the play he needs to make. A lot of guys are only good at one or the other. Nico is a good example of someone who I think dominates battles when the puck is close to him but struggles with reaching, but Boqvist seems to excel at both.

-Very good starting and stopping. Doesn't seem to have ridiculous Wood/Hall top speed, but just from watching that video you can see how he catches guys flatfooted and is off to the races. For as fast as we are, I think we lack a little of that fast-twitch breakout ability. Look at a guy like Palmieri, he's a good skater and I'd by no means call him slow, but it takes him a few strides to get going.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
Two things immediately come to mind watching these clips:

-His zone of control is ridiculous. Whether the puck is in his skates or he's extending out to his maximum reach, he's able to control the puck and make the play he needs to make. A lot of guys are only good at one or the other. Nico is a good example of someone who I think dominates battles when the puck is close to him but struggles with reaching, but Boqvist seems to excel at both.

-Very good starting and stopping. Doesn't seem to have ridiculous Wood/Hall top speed, but just from watching that video you can see how he catches guys flatfooted and is off to the races. For as fast as we are, I think we lack a little of that fast-twitch breakout ability. Look at a guy like Palmieri, he's a good skater and I'd by no means call him slow, but it takes him a few strides to get going.

Fitzgerald said in an interview that he's probably the fastest on the team or in the entire organization I believe if I remember correctly.

Reactions: TheDuke93

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Super excited about this. Outside of Nico (and of course Hughes upcoming), I'm not sure that I've looked forward to seeing a NJD prospect come up in quite some time.

Reactions: TheDuke93

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
i believe he’s played LW and C in the past. we certainly don’t need him at C, so he’s probably our 3rd line LW if he plays in NJ (barring injuries)
I feel 2nd line is his best bet, I see the 3rd line as Zajac's, and I don't see that as a fit.

Now the idea of rolling 4 legit lines comes into play, where they could go something like Boqvist Zacha Anderson/Bastian on the 4th line?

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I feel 2nd line is his best bet, I see the 3rd line as Zajac's, and I don't see that as a fit.

Now the idea of rolling 4 legit lines comes into play, where they could go something like Boqvist Zacha Anderson/Bastian on the 4th line?
The problem with playing him on the 2nd line is that you really don't want to play two small rookies together on the same line. Boqvist and Hughes with Palms could be a defensive disaster.

I like the idea of Boqvist - Zacha - Wood.

Reactions: Cheddabombs

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

i agree that he should eventually be in the top 6, but i don’t think he starts there. i’m still hoping we sign eberle and shift bratt back to LW.

honestly, i’d rather see boqvist start the year in ahl and get a call up when we inevitably deal with injuries. let him try and develop some chemistry with mcleod

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The problem with playing him on the 2nd line is that you really don't want to play two small rookies together on the same line. Boqvist and Hughes with Palms could be a defensive disaster.

Can't say I disagree. Though I was thinking Palms added some vet toughness to that line.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
i agree that he should eventually be in the top 6, but i don’t think he starts there. i’m still hoping we sign eberle and shift bratt back to LW.

honestly, i’d rather see boqvist start the year in ahl and get a call up when we inevitably deal with injuries. let him try and develop some chemistry with mcleod
The AHL option is interesting, because he could decide to go back to Sweden if he doesn't make the team, but I could see Shero telling him, look go to the AHL you will most likely be back in a month.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ

I think we end up rolling with
Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Zacha-Hughes-Palmier
Boqvist-Zajac-Coleman
Wood-No idea-Bastian/Anderson
Other option would be to play both Bastian and Anderson at RW and see if Coleman can play 4C or roll a very balanced attack with Zacha/Zajac playing 3/4C and having minutes come down to special team usage.

Reactions: longislanddevil

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
The AHL option is interesting, because he could decide to go back to Sweden if he doesn't make the team, but I could see Shero telling him, look go to the AHL you will most likely be back in a month.

yeah, unfortunately the ahl doesn’t look likely

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
I hope he wears #90 for us instead of some weird camp number like he was wearing
No idea what number Boqvist will wear, but little birdy told me Hughes may wear #86.
(I know he wore #43 before, so am guessing 2x43, otherwise have no idea how #86 came about. Maybe he is a Mets/Giants fan).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->