Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Drew Stafford to 1yr Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
No risk here, insurance for the kids and we need veteran depth at RW. If he fails to impress, he can easily be moved on a 1 year deal.

Also, not that it's saying much, he's better than Hayes.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
No-risk signing; either helps or nets us a 2nd or 3rd at the deadline. And we need RW. No reason to be mad here.

A 2 or 3? He got a 6 months ago at the deadline. It would take some Stempniak type good fortune to have Stafford play well enough to fetch either pick.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
What are our lines looking like?

Throwing some spaghetti against a wall:

Hall-Henrique-Palmieri
Johansson-Hischier-Stafford
Quenneville/Blandisi-Zacha-Noesen
Wood-Boyle-Lappin/Speers/Hayes

I think it was mentioned that JQ could slide over to RW, but certainly I think there's going to be a lot of experimentation.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Jagr probably would've cost a lot more and would've want some guarantee of playing time.

Jagr's too much of a niche player at this point. You need to tailor his line and your line-up around his needs.

meh rather jagr.

doubt he would be holding out for more money at this point when he is almost begging for a gig. stafford isn't that much faster then jagr either.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
meh rather jagr.

doubt he would be holding out for more money at this point when he is almost begging for a gig. stafford isn't that much faster then jagr either.

Jagr's looking for that bonus money. He will probably end up signing a 1 yr deal with a low base salary, but bonuses he can reach.

Jagr is slow as molasses right now. He's just a world class talent who knows how to make up for it.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Throwing some spaghetti against a wall:

Hall-Henrique-Palmieri
Johansson-Hischier-Stafford
Quenneville/Blandisi-Zacha-Noesen
Wood-Boyle-Lappin/Speers/Hayes

I think it was mentioned that JQ could slide over to RW, but certainly I think there's going to be a lot of experimentation.

It was.

Blandisi-Zacha-Quenneville could be an interesting third line. Blender and Q had some nice chemistry going towards the end of last year.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I guess this quashes my Brian Gionta pipe dream :laugh:

I've always liked Stafford, and the Zajac college connection is pretty cool.

With the BC group (Wood, Boyle, Hayes, Schneider), the UND guys (Zajac and Stafford), and the duos from juniors (Hall/Henrique and McLeod/Bastian), Shero is building some serious morale. Talk about team togetherness. Everyone's got a boy on the squad.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I guess this quashes my Brian Gionta pipe dream :laugh:

I've always liked Stafford, and the Zajac college connection is pretty cool.

With the BC group (Wood, Boyle, Hayes, Schneider), the UND guys (Zajac and Stafford), and the duos from juniors (Hall/Henrique and McLeod/Bastian), Shero is building some serious morale. Talk about team togetherness. Everyone's got a boy on the squad.

Don't forget Hischier/Mueller and Zacha/Noesen.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Not a poor signing. No risk. He is also the type who can randomly put up a 20-25 goal season like he did two years ago. Hopefully it happens this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->