Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Brett Seney

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He only signed a 2-year ELC, it'd be extreme to burn one of them straight off just to get an undersized guy here that's probably not pro-ready, unless that was the only way of getting him here since the clock was ticking. I get we sort of did that with Santini and Wood, but those guys were a bit more highly touted and had longer ELC's too.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
He only signed a 2-year ELC, it'd be extreme to burn one of them straight off just to get an undersized guy here that's probably not pro-ready, unless that was the only way of getting him here since the clock was ticking. I get we sort of did that with Santini and Wood, but those guys were a bit more highly touted and had longer ELC's too.

I dobut he would play the 9 games it would take for him to lose a year from his ELC. It will most likely slide to next year if he plays under that.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I dobut he would play the 9 games it would take for him to lose a year from his ELC. It will most likely slide to next year if he plays under that.

Then what was the thing with playing Santini and Wood to burn a year off the contract at the end of the season two years ago, was that just to burn a FA year off?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah it was FA year im pretty sure.. pretty dumb thing to do

Eh they probably needed to do it to entice those players to come, plus in Santini's case it probably isn't a big deal considering he's a stay-at-home defenseman for the most part anyway. They might have needed to promise Seney a year off FA too.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Eh they probably needed to do it to entice those players to come, plus in Santini's case it probably isn't a big deal considering he's a stay-at-home defenseman for the most part anyway. They might have needed to promise Seney a year off FA too.

Mhm yeah you are probably right. And I'm sure the players really love that extra big pay check they get from playing a game or two too.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

The 9 game rule only applies to 18/19 year olds. So when Santini/Wood signed as 20 year olds at the end of 2015-16, that allowed them to burn a year off their 3 year ELC.

But as mentioned previously, Seney's ELC doesn't kick in until next year and he signed an ATO to play in the AHL for this season.

Now that the NCAA season is over, we'll start seeing signings across the league. And it won't be surprising to see some really random guys dress in a game or two. Albeit technically a player would only have to be on the roster and not necessarily dress in order to burn a year. Philadelphia did that with Alex Lyon a few years back. Vegas is doing that with Zach Whitecloud now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad