Devils Serious Cup Contenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Devils are solid so far and that's great to see. Cup contender is a bit much at this point, but if they can keep that gap between GF and GA, then winning the division certainly is possible. Only two games though, so plenty of time for things to normalize. Same goes for the other hot start teams (Toronto, Carolina, etc).

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
This thread is dumb but so it this post. How did celebrate tonight as if they are already playing in this finals? I want to hear this.

90% of the threads on the main board are dumb... most feel like they were written by 10 year olds.

Why is Matthews so good? Discuss?

How many Leafs will top 100 points?

Would you rather eat a car or a plane?

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
90% of the threads on the main board are dumb... most feel like they were written by 10 year olds.

Why is Matthews so good? Discuss?

How many Leafs will top 100 points?

Would you rather eat a car or a plane?
Plane, less pollution to taint the flavour higher in the atmosphere. Cars would taste a bit rusty I think.

Reactions: Axel574

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Devils celebrated tonight as if they were already playing in the Cup Finals. It was odd to see during the second week of the season. It was also cute to see them running around knowing Wilson is suspended. The Caps played their backup goaltender and played last night. I wouldn’t take too much away from it. Ultimately the Devils will be competing for the wild card and will lose in round 1 should they make it.

:biglaugh:

so stoked that this was only four posts deep :laugh:

you must think really highly of your team if you think we celebrated a win over the caps in a manner which we have only reserved for five occasions prior.

Last edited:

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Why do you need to schedule a parade that only 5 people attend?

They have bigger crowds at long red traffic lights.

18c58c46a43463fea41d1361ee91bb30.jpg

*stops counting at five*

Reactions: Bleedred

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
We’ve played 2 great games but Jesus lol. Goalies haven’t been tested at all yet and the caps were gassed last night. More of an embarrassment for them then something for us to be excited about imo

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
They got off to a hot start last year too, only to fade down the stretch and barely hold onto the 2nd Wild Card. They subsequently got KO'd in 5 games in the 1st round. Maybe we should pump the breaks here.

you forgot about the epic march road trip that basically ensured they'd get in.

this devils main board thread, started by a dumb post, is perpetuating dumb posts. par for the course.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
why you heff to be mad it's just a regular season game. PS: that backup goalie saved Caps ass all game, if not for him making three or four highlight reel saves Devils would've scored 10 or more goals.

Go back to school. Something doesn't add up here.

HoBOonFiRE

Nov 8, 2009
Oshawa
Them and the schedule, yeah.
Well..the devils did come from Europe and havent played for a week. Usually it takes teams a bit of time to get back into it after that long of a break but they were the better team from start to finish.

Now the Caps will be angry and probably pound my leafs out.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
The Devils will be lucky to make it to the playoffs. Which realistically wont happen.

If they make the playoffs this season, it won't be because of luck - it'll be because they earned it, just like last year.

I'm not crazy enough to proclaim them as Cup contenders at this point, but I think they have a good chance of making the playoffs. All everybody sees from last season is that they were projected to suck, Taylor Hall had an MVP season, therefore it was a fluke and Hall just carried them to the playoffs. They don't sign anybody in free agency, so the next line of thinking is that other teams got better while the Devils must've regressed...and we don't want to predict the same playoff teams year after year, so surely the Devils will be at least one of the teams to drop out of the East.

Meanwhile, the progression this season of Nico, Zacha, Mueller, Wood, Butcher, Bratt, Coleman and Noesen (all basically 2nd/3rd year NHL players this season) is ignored, as is having a largely healthy team to start the season (missing Zajac and Boyle to start last year, while Johansson, Mueller and Palmieri all had significant injuries last year...though that's unpredictable and could be better/worse this season), not to mention Schneider was battling a lingering injury last season that has finally been addressed (remains to be seen if he can bounce back, though Kinkaid looks good early).

Whether the Devils ultimately make the playoffs again or not, they should be in the race right through the end of the season.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
lol saying the devils "realistically" won't make the playoffs this season is no more or less patently ridiculous than anything else here.

they finished with 97 points last year.

they may even be better this year if the injuries stay away and our young talent stays the course.

i want to know more why a more developed rendition of a 97-point team "realistically won't make the playoffs." seriously, i'm interested, and no, about two or three bubble teams from last year didn't magically leapfrog us in quality this year.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Where did I make fun of a team? And if if I were, the Leafs are a FAR superior team to the Devils.

:facepalm:

see, the problem with treating hf as a place for real discussion is you expect the thread's context to be relevant to individual posts.

also yeah, they are, congrats. maybe they'll win the cup this spring and we can all stop suffering from the projection of leafs nation's angst online for at least a month.

Reactions: ThePrideofStockholm

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
the Caps looked like shit last night. The Devils didn’t beat a team playing anywhere near their best. When they beat the Caps on their A-game, then maybe make this thread.

Not to take away from their win last night, because they earned those goals, but they’re playing a team that historically has been bad both on back to backs, and after long breaks. The Caps started with a back to back, had a 6 day break, then this back to back

The Caps efforts so far this season have been as inconsistent as their schedule, as any long time Caps fan could have predicted. This game was hardly indicative of any long term Devils success.

——————————————————-
**Unless other division rivals are plagued by injuries, the Devils are likely wildcard team at best. “Cup Contenders” in the sense that any team who makes the playoffs technically can win it? Sure, but they’d probably need to get really hot at the end of the season to do some damage, especially their goalies.

I never would have said the Devils are a bad team overall, but they play in the toughest division of the last few years, and have some big question marks for a solid “cup contender”.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad