Speculation: Devils Send Stefan Matteau back to The QMJHL

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
If Zubrus wasn't injured or one of Josefson/Tedenby played better, Matteau would've been sent down after 5 games. He got lucky with the injuries and Devils lack of depth at wing so he had an extended stay.

Devils have been letting some of their prospects stay in the NHL for a lengthy look during the past few seasons with no real success. (Palmieri/Tedenby/Zharkov). Matteau happened to be that prospect this year and wasn't ready yet.

The weird thing is how everyone's situation is completely different. Zharkov had pretty much made the team as an energy guy under Lemaire, and then I guess Lou was expecting him to take some next step and he was demoted. Tedenby appeared to break out and then fell apart the next season. Palmieri never really broke out, but appeared good next to Kovalchuk. He was expected to take another step forward too and didn't impress.

I'm really hoping Josefson breaks the cycle, if only so that the Devils' streak of poor develop can come to a close. People are starting to cringe every time Lou drafts a Swede!

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm starting to wonder if the personnel in Albany is good for development right now. I'm not the first one to question it either recently.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I'm starting to wonder if the personnel in Albany is good for development right now. I'm not the first one to question it either recently.

It did wonders for Henrique. It certainly LOOKED like it had done wonders with Josefson last season. I think it's important to be critical of situations like that, but there's a lot of evidence to the contrary. Palmieri's still playing at his usual .5ppg now that he's gone elsewhere. I think it falls more on drafting than the AHL team, though I guess neither have been great for the past decade.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It did wonders for Henrique. It certainly LOOKED like it had done wonders with Josefson last season. I think it's important to be critical of situations like that, but there's a lot of evidence to the contrary. Palmieri's still playing at his usual .5ppg now that he's gone elsewhere. I think it falls more on drafting than the AHL team, though I guess neither have been great for the past decade.

Yeah Henrique seemed to benefit. Just something I think about, not saying it's definitely or even probably the case.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
I think it comes down to drafting. Most of our forward prospects that busted had some questions about their NHL potential before coming to Albany

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
If Zubrus wasn't injured or one of Josefson/Tedenby played better, Matteau would've been sent down after 5 games. He got lucky with the injuries and Devils lack of depth at wing so he had an extended stay.

Devils have been letting some of their prospects stay in the NHL for a lengthy look during the past few seasons with no real success. (Palmieri/Tedenby/Zharkov). Matteau happened to be that prospect this year and wasn't ready yet.

10r4zk8.jpg

obligatory text

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

Half of everything is luck. But Matteau held his own in the lineup, and never really looked completely out of place. Your assessment of "borderline player" isn't really being fair to him. The tools are clearly there, he just needs to develop them further to become an impact player.

I think it comes down to drafting. Most of our forward prospects that busted had some questions about their NHL potential before coming to Albany

It depends on what you mean by questions. Josefson was pegged as a sure bet to be an NHL player. Maybe not a star, but they thought he would at least be a good bottom 6 player, and when he is on his game, he is. Tedenby did have questions, mostly due to his lack of size and defence.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Forgive me if it was noted earlier in the thread, but apparently Matteau (and Grigorenko) do get a year of accrued service. There was some confusion earlier about whether it was 23 games played or being on the roster for 23 games. Apparently it is the latter (even Bob McKenzie was confused).

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Am I the only one that thinks Matteau played alright? He outplayed Barch, Kostapolopolous, and company. I know it's not saying much but from a rookie it's not too bad.

I do believe that it's for the best that he's sent to the Q but I thought he was solid.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Forgive me if it was noted earlier in the thread, but apparently Matteau (and Grigorenko) do get a year of accrued service. There was some confusion earlier about whether it was 23 games played or being on the roster for 23 games. Apparently it is the latter (even Bob McKenzie was confused).

Don't worry, I'm here all day if anyone else has any confusion. :yo:

If it comes between believing me or the buffalo sabres organization, now you know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad