Speculation: Devils Rentals

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Greene can clear waivers. He has no value in 2020
Team captain which also includes captaining a team to the cup finals, just played his 900th game, and last year played the most PK minutes in the league on one of the top PK teams . He played almost a whole minute more than the next person on the PK and still averaged 20 minutes a night and 25 points without any PP time.
This year top 5 in PK minutes. Great positional player.
Would easily bring a third and possible a second if money is retained.

Reactions: HBK27 and Blackjack

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Team captain which also includes captaining a team to the cup finals, just played his 900th game, and last year played the most PK minutes in the league on one of the top PK teams . He played almost a whole minute more than the next person on the PK and still averaged 20 minutes a night and 25 points without any PP time.
This year top 5 in PK minutes. Great positional player.
Would easily bring a third and possible a second if money is retained.

Parise was actually the captain that year, after Parise it was Bryce, then Greene, but otherwise yeah.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Parise was actually the captain that year, after Parise it was Bryce, then Greene, but otherwise yeah.
Yeah. My bad. I was questioning myself on that one. But either way. He didn’t get the recognition back then for being the top D on that team that took them there. IMO it was arguable that he was a #1. Most people didn’t know who he was. The same people that argued that Rafalski was a number one but said Greene was barely a top four when most devil fans would tell you he was a better defenseman than Rafalski.

Reactions: Blackjack

The Rochester Rocket

Feb 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
When was the last time someone traded for a 37 year old bottom pair shut down guy who with max retension is making 2.5m dollars? I will wait.

37 year old bottom pairing shut down guys that have been traded:
Rob Scuderi
Aaron Ward
Hal Gill
Ken Klee
Steve Poapst

Not sure on their cap numbers, but immaterial imo at the deadline if you can max retain

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Ben lovejoy was 3 years young and making half what andy greene does. The reason you cant get closer is because IT NEVER HAPPENS

Greene this year is significantly better than Lovejoy was last year. Money is irrelevant since NJ can retain. The obstacle would be Greene’s NTC and he’d have at least mid round pick value but you don’t care about that since you are only trolling.

Serious question - why did you stray from your lane and say something awful and insulting about Montreal? Are you an equal opportunity troll?

Reactions: MichaelJ

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
You’re totally wrong about his defense, he’s excellent. Kyle Palmieri’s Secret Weapon — his Two-Way Game

He’s 12th in goals for RWs between 2016-2019 (excluding his best year). 2015-2018 he’s 9th in goals for RWs. He’s a 1st line right wing.

He has a career high of 57 points in 2015-16 (coinciding with the only time he ever hit 30 goals). Followed by seasons of 53, 44 and 50 points. This season he has a pace/82 of 52 points.
Per the numbers I posted above, his production relies HEAVILY on the PP: 40-48% from 2015-16 to now, depending on the season.

He doesn't drive the play... He doesn't impress me as a two way player (Hischier at 20 is already better than him and Hall combined on D)... He has only 1 season more and then will be looking for big $$$ because it's his last big contract... If, like in Boston, he doesn't get first line duty and prime PP time, what you have left is a guy who probably will put up 20 goals / 40 points.
At your current prices, I don't want Palmieri. You're trying to sell an Audi A4 for the price of a Porsche Cayman. Politely decline.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
The Devils need to do the same. Although their players will not draw the same bounty the Rangers did, anything helps. Simmonds and Greene COULD draw 2nd Rd picks, and if thats the case they need to take it
Simmonds already said he'd like to stay put. Greene would have to waive but he'd absolutely bring back a 2nd at worst. Vatanen could be a better package but I'd like to sign him if he wants to stay. I know he's hurt a few times a year and has a history with concussions but he's been our best defenseman.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Probably true but remember 3 years ago he cost not his value too.
Agreed. The fact that he really mailed it in this year made me less upset. It wasn't the points or goals it was the lack of trying. Seemed very childish for a millionaire. He had opportunities and he was snake bitten. But rather than work through the funk he sulked. Love watching the mvp Hall play, but in the end we probably hit his value (which I still disagree with)

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
There was, of course, the mixed bag during the Lamoriello era with guys like Brodeur (espiecially), Stevens, Elias being committed to the program and staying versus Niedermayer, Parise, Rafalski among many others leaving. We are now into the Shero era and are 0-1.

And even Elias was willing to leave. His contract with the rangers was basically done, but they wouldn't give him the no movement clause he wanted. The devils ended up catering to that demand, and he returned

mrinsane

Dec 8, 2005
I'd take Butcher in Montreal if He's on the table or Greene maybe if Habs are in the playoff picture

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I'm New Jersey fan and there SHOULD be no chance in hell that either Simmonds or Green return 2nd rounder back even with retention. I would love it but they're just not good.
Boyle got a second at the deadline last year. If he can, Simmonds and Greene easily can especially with retention.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
Simmonds already said he'd like to stay put. Greene would have to waive but he'd absolutely bring back a 2nd at worst. Vatanen could be a better package but I'd like to sign him if he wants to stay. I know he's hurt a few times a year and has a history with concussions but he's been our best defenseman.

Who cares what Simmonds wants? Who. Cares. Get assets.

Greene, unlike Simmonds, was able to negotiate a NTC - remarkably. So it does matter what he wants by matter of his contract. Hopefully he decides to waive. It's way past time for the Devils to see how they can do without his "leadership". Hint - can't be much worse.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
And even Elias was willing to leave. His contract with the rangers was basically done, but they wouldn't give him the no movement clause he wanted. The devils ended up catering to that demand, and he returned

This is fair. However he did state that he wanted to stay the whole time which is why he went back to the devils to beat the offer, and for whatever reason i believe him. Either way the larger point remains the same.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
I'm New Jersey fan and there SHOULD be no chance in hell that either Simmonds or Green return 2nd rounder back even with retention. I would love it but they're just not good.

You're probably right that there, but reality is I think its very possible. Greene is brutal and his leadership has proven to be an absolute myth for years now.

But he does have 1 skill valuable in the postseason and that is penalty kill proficiency. If Lovejoy got a 3 + roster player don't think its nuts that Greene would get a LATE 2 from a contender. Based on nothing but speculation, I think the Islanders could be a fit with the Lamoriello connection and the proximity to his home and family may make the waive an easier call for him.

Simmonds does stink, but as other posters have pointed out, if Boyle is a 2, Simmonds could very well be a 2, 3 at worst.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
You're probably right that there, but reality is I think its very possible. Greene is brutal and his leadership has proven to be an absolute myth for years now.

But he does have 1 skill valuable in the postseason and that is penalty kill proficiency. If Lovejoy got a 3 + roster player don't think its nuts that Greene would get a LATE 2 from a contender. Based on nothing but speculation, I think the Islanders could be a fit with the Lamoriello connection and the proximity to his home and family may make the waive an easier call for him.

Simmonds does stink, but as other posters have pointed out, if Boyle is a 2, Simmonds could very well be a 2, 3 at worst.

I think a team would add Greene at the deadline. But a 2nd or 3rd round pick is too high a price. We just saw Mike Reilly go for a 5th, and Scandella for a 4th. Both those guys are better than Greene, at this point.

Prices tend to go up closer to the deadline, so maybe Greene could fetch a return similar to those two. But that's the top I would think NJ can expect. 4th or 5th.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
I think a team would add Greene at the deadline. But a 2nd or 3rd round pick is too high a price. We just saw Mike Reilly go for a 5th, and Scandella for a 4th. Both those guys are better than Greene, at this point.

Prices tend to go up closer to the deadline, so maybe Greene could fetch a return similar to those two. But that's the top I would think NJ can expect. 4th or 5th.

Yeah we are quibbling but I still think he would have more value at the deadline than those two guys.

Greene is a guy that has the "steady vet" label that contending teams want to add. And the thing he does best (PK) he does better than Scandella or Reilly do whatever it is they do best. Plus hes a "captain", which hasn't done anything for the Devils, but I would imagine very good teams would like that as well. A late 2nd I think is a reasonable ask.

I think dream scenario is for devils to come out of this with a late 1 (Vatanen), late 2 (Greene), and a 2/3 (Simmonds).

Nightmare scenario is continuing to win, using that as a reason to not sell anybody. Move down the draft order into Mcleod territory and hireing Nasradine. Woof.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad