Devils relying on youth movement to spearhead new direction

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
Photo: Stefan Matteau signed a two year, one-way contract with the Devils in July, showing that the young forward is certain to be a part of the team’s plans going forward. (Courtesy of Andy Marlin/NHLI via Getty Images)

</p> How times have changed in a year’s span. Last season the New Jersey Devils were a veteran laden team fighting to get back to the postseason. That push was derailed by the team’s inefficient offense and ineffective powerplay. The Devils would miss the playoffs for the fourth time in five years, ushering in a massive overhaul in personnel and management over the summer.… read more

The post Devils relying on youth movement to spearhead new direction appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Deleted member 28548

I wish I had a lot more confidence in Matteau being an impact player this season.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
And really, the PK wasn't that bad after the absolute cluster**** that it was for the first ~15 games.

Wasn't it 66% at the low point? I guess that's what really stands out. It did crawl back to break 80%, which took a minor miracle to get to.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The league's 8th best power play was ineffective? Come on guys, it takes a minute to go to NHL.com and fact check that...

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Christ, does anyone even bother to fact-check these articles? The overall thrust of the article is pretty accurate, but getting that kind of specific detail so spectacularly wrong is a really bad sign.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
To be fair the PP seemed wildly inconsistent and didn't come through often enough to win games.

That said. Saying it was out problem is really inaccurate.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Christ, does anyone even bother to fact-check these articles? The overall thrust of the article is pretty accurate, but getting that kind of specific detail so spectacularly wrong is a really bad sign.
Agreed. This really needed to be said. All due respect to whoever wrote this article.
To be fair the PP seemed wildly inconsistent and didn't come through often enough to win games.

That said. Saying it was out problem is really inaccurate.
I remember it looking like a complete failure and trainwreck after Oates came back, yet it still seemed to sustain the same levels it was operating at before he got here. Or at least not too far from it.

I thought it was good under Barr. He was the only assistant I liked on the first staff we had last year. Not that I had a problem with Terreri or Albelin, I just don't associate them with Pete so much as Barr and moron Foligno, as they both predated his coaching tenure with us. Or at least Albelin's tenure in the organization predates Pete's. He had been coaching in Albany since Pete got here, and was an NHL assistant under Sutter and even Julien/Lou 2.0 I think. Out of the guys who ran the bench on our initial staff last year, Barr is the only one I liked. I was hoping the Sharks would at least get him after picking up Pete. He was still out there too, Buffalo hired him after SJ brought Pete in. Whatever unit he coached was always gold with us. Even when the PK was mediocre in the lockout season, we still scored a ton of shorthanded goals to make up for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad